Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

Faith Loafers early 70's yes, Weejuns no. I remember Weejuns being worn by some Mods in '79/'80, myself included although I preferred Dexters from Lloyd Johnson's shop in the King's Road. It was so strict what was acceptable to wear and if I or any of my mates in south London had worn Weejuns in the late '60's early '70's we'd have been laughed at....whether they looked cool or not. This has been gone over a few times on here and as you say, it depends on your frame of reference as regards time and place.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep I had a couple of Royals Loafers in 70, In this pic I'am wearing a pair of Black Royals Tassel Loafers Aug 71.
    Never heard of Bass Weejuns back then, :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

3. bunty

bunty Senior member

On the subject of boots and shoes, I've read on here, think it was a post by Roy, that his boots were not 'bulled' in the 60s and that any type were acceptable (Army surplus/work boots etc.) Also that he wore his sta prest with a small turn up? I couldn't picture it, then I found this... (Present day skins look away :) )

[​IMG]

Mods at Brighton April 1965

[​IMG]

The fella on his own looks totally different to all the others, good lad.

[​IMG]

Top post Buttons :)

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Great find Paul Yep thats the way it was, soon as you got your New boots you would scuff em up to take away the new look, Looking at the pic with the lad he has scuffed his boots down to the steel which was a popular thing to do, it sort of gave you a more working class aggressive look,

Regarding Sta prest, as i have said we wore small turn ups on our Sta prest when wearing boots, we also wore sta prest without turn ups when wearing shoes.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

As some of you know, Some of the members from this thread had a meet up last August, Thought it would be nice to have another...sometime in the Spring, all welcome,
    Suggestions of a date and location.....The last one was in York, and a great day it was, :)

6. McDermott

McDermott Well-Known Member

somewhere near york again would be cracking considering i live in leeds.. [​IMG]
    ill buy you all a pint from me [​IMG]

7. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

I think Buttons, may have taken the coveted "post of the year" award with that response.

And yes York sounds good ;)

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yes brilliant post by Buttons, York is a good location, we had a great day last year, I ended up pissed missed me train, but i was not abandoned, Bunty, Little Queenie and Bob sorted me a hotel out, :D

9. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

10. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Would love to make a Spring Meet,but my Smashed Knee means I cannot get about too much-as yet.Not able to Drive or get on Trains.Heard today it could take up to 2 years to get it sorted out properly,so no Dancing for me.As yet!!!

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In the 50s and 60s,the East End of London was considered the centre of the "Rag Trade".Manufacturing and Wholesale selling of Clothes and Shoes(Ladies and Gents) was at it`s Peak.A lot of future Entrepreneurs "Cut their Teeth" in the mean Streets of E1.Bilgorri the Tailors were there.John Simons(The Ivy Shop) started his Business from a Market Stall-in Petticoat Lane.Blackmans the Shoe Retailer is still there.
    Sheepskins and Leather Coats were made in the Area.These would then be sent out to Department Stores in London etc.You could buy a Sheepskin from the various Factory Outlet Shops.Alternatively,you could go down the "Lane" and see racks of Sheepskins on the Market Stalls.There would be a Label in them"Real Sheepskin" but no others.The other week I saw a Sheepskin(in a Second-Hand Shop)with one of these Labels.A lot of Skins I know purchased a Sheepskin this way(in `68).They were cheaper than the Stores-but the same Article.Later when Sheepskins became very popular(`70),they became very poor Quality Suede Coats-like the Crombies,they looked cheap and nasty.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

13. Man-of-Mystery

We called that sort 'cheapskins'.

14. Man-of-Mystery

I would like to go back to York. I'll try to stay longer this time.

15. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

And who remembers the '70s and ´80s radio adverts for "The big red building in Petticoat Lane" I still remember the jingle tune as I sing those words.
    Originally called the Houndsditch Warehouse, it has changed hands and names a few times over the decades.
    It was huge and jam packed with sheepskin and leather coats. I visited it a few times in the 70s and 80s to admire the sheepskin coats!

Petticoat Lane is actually called Middlesex Street, and for any Madness fans reading this it is only a 5 minute walk from Norton Folgate.