Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Same thing happened to me, the message had been sent to the 'junk' folder of my email account, I re-classified it as 'not junk' and the alerts have worked ever since. Not sure that the 'not junk' moniker is apt, though: been a little lacking in posts by the '60's Skinheads of late............ and all the disparaging 'Northern' comments - especially by people who aren't even British...... need I say more?

2. London Rudeboy

London Rudeboy Senior member

A photo from a ska/punk summer festival in 2008. I'm in the flat cap, shades, Perry, and old oxblood Docs, look how worn out those soles are, smooth as a baby's bottom!!

All the skinheads in our gang!
    L to R:
    Christian with carrier bag - ex-infantry Captain
    Marcus in red shirt - ex-Infantry captian, currently a police officer
    Me - ex-RAF Regiment and ex-Met Police officer
    Trainers & beer can - Fredrik - ex infantry
    Black Docs at bottom of photo - Henrik - currently an infantry major
    Photographer - Håkan - ex-infantry
    Not in photo:
    Gary - ex- Coldstream Guards
    Roger - ex-infantry Captain
    Anders- the "boy" - only 30!! bleedin' youngster! - Never did a day's military service in his
    life!!!

[​IMG]

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Fcuk me Crap Hat Ruperts, Old Bill and Skinheads, :D :D :D

This is My mates and Me , Ex Original Skinheads, Chelsea and QPR Hooligans,:D and Former Para's .

Nick, Paul, Roy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

4. London Rudeboy

Crap hats? yea, they are, all Swedish infantry & Gary of course, a flipping Guardsman, I however was RAF Regt II Sqn Airborne mate, so don't you call me a crap hat ye bleedin' pongo! [​IMG]

QPR hooligan? He might know my younger brother then. He was one of the top boys in the QPR firm in the 80s. I went to my first QPR match when I was 10. I grew up in Notting Hill.

I work for a govt agency of the Swedish MoD, so my profile photo is from an exercise here in Sweden in 2010. Part of my job is testing our agency's overseas field staff for humanitarian missions.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Ha Ha nice one mate, I come from Kilburn originally , moved to Notting Hill in 78, Nick who was in the Paras with me ... has always lived around Notting Hill and is QPR, Nick is 18 Months younger than myself i'am 57... 58 this April so he was a little Skinhead in 69, :)

6. London Rudeboy

Here's me on Border Control duty on an EU-UN Undac exercise in 2010 on the Swedish-Norwegian border. Sig Sauer pistol butt just visible above that bloke's Dutch passport.
    [​IMG]

Old Bill, Chelsea Police Station, mid 80s!
    [​IMG]

Ska/punk Festival in 2006
    [​IMG]

On a walk in my woods about 7 years ago
    [​IMG]

At Lord Ardbreck's garden party 2009
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thats a very nice Sheepskin mate, I always wanted one back in the 60s but could not afford, I just would not wear one from the market like a lot of the originals did ,
    I bought this one Three years ago, made by Ralph Lauren , Its a more present day style which suits me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

:) :) :)

9. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

Here's a link to a very interesting article written by Hoxton Tom McCourt that details his way into Skinhead culture and discusses clothing, the mod revival and clashes with 80's skinheads

http://the4skins.tripod.com/id7.html

10. London Rudeboy

Here's a youtube video from Augsutibuller 2007, a Swedish skinhead/punk festival that ended a few years ago.
    Me? (from 1.23 to 1.58) Geezer with grey hair, black harrington, Fred Perry, middle of screen, with my back to the stage & leaning against my mate Gary, the tall guy in the maroon harrington, while dancing to the grandfather of ska, Mr Derrick Morgan. And from 2.45 to 3.10, when Gary flicks me on the back of the head. After Derrick's gig myself and Gary went backstage to chat with Derrick. As we came into his tent where his daughter was rolling a huge spliff, that was the woman in white who inroduced him, we were introduced to Derrick by his large very friendly friend Dr. Ring Ding like this, "Derrick, a couple of your London Rudeboys here to se ya" A great time ensued! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012

11. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Thanks for the link chickNcoop. That is pretty much how I remember those times. I followed The Jam from the very early "Red Cow" days too, was at Southend for the bank holiday and at the Paddocks for the Secret Affair gig. That weekend was insane, so much rucking going on. We targeted the NF Skins and they got a right pasting, the Old Bill were happy to stand by and watch. I remember seeing Hoxton Tom around and very smart he was too. The 4-Skins and the Cockney Rejects were a great night out and it was always good to see off any Boneheads that were around. Tom is right when he says that the Boneheads didn't know the difference between Skinheads and Mods, the lines were very blurry to say the least. I had mates that dressed identical to me but they'd be Mod and I'd be Skinhead...and sometimes vice versa!

12. London Rudeboy

Indeed, and if you look at today's scooterboys half of them are dressed like skinheads with parkas, not mods. A skinhead travelled round in a Ford Cortina not on a scooter! This Youtube clip is from the 2010 annual Mods v Rockers in Stockholm. This clip shows the jousting tournament style "face off" on the bridge. All good clean fun, a good laugh.

The point is though, one of our crew is there on his scooter. And if you have a look at a lot of scooter mods, in Sweden and the UK quite a lot of them are in Docs, Fred Perry, jeans with turnups and crops, all topped off with a parka. Thing is though your original "hard mod" or "gang mod" in 67, 68, didn't wear Docs or Fred Perrys, he wore denim jackets, army trousers and working boots.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

nice one! looks like the place was jumping when he got around to MoonHop!

14. rufio

rufio Member

There's the Ton Up annual mods vs rockers rally in beautiful San Diego this weekend. I know of a few scooter skins (camo pants, flight jacket type) will be there. Ill post pics of the rally if I see any of them with their skellies.

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Mods & Rockers..should be killing each other, not playing games, fcuk me whats the World coming too, :D