1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Surly thats not 70, :confused:

2. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Judging by the clobber, right down to the jewellery Id ay it was original, along with the Black Kids in the Background.

Im sure theres more on here, far more educated than me in these matters though, who can shed more light on it.

Ill have to sift through my collection of pics and find the full set of 3 (now 4 unfortunately) to see if theres any more clues, but Ive always had it down as original (as have most of my mates).

Im still trying to convince myself that the "new" pic is a few mates taking the piss, but I doubt it. Dont think mates kidded about like that back then.

3. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

I think they are 'of the time'... and my mates and I would never have 'mucked about' like that. (In those days, you had every chance of taking your face home in a hankie for less.)

Pity... otherwise great pics of the clobber.

4. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Yeah Ed, times have changed a bit.

Not as much need for the Male Bravdo anymore, as back then. Funny really as its probably need more nowadays.

Feel so Dirty now, all the years, weve all discussed their Bollocks.......... urghhhhhh.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Back then People was more Homophobic than they was Racist, The reason as you said Gramps Skinheads would not fcuk about like that, Also looking at the actual photo it looks Professionally done, and staged managed.

6. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Quite possibly, but Why????? Back then?

Gonna have to do some research, never has a picture been surrounded with so much mystery.

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Now you have put those up,Brideshead,I can remember having a Pair of Shoes(similar to those you have shown),with the Basket Weave Apron-black lace-ups.They were definetly Italian Style and more leaning to the Mod.It was `67.

8. Pressure_Drop

Pressure_Drop Senior member

This is Frankie a year later, nice suedehead cut.
    [​IMG]

9. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

Actually thats the 5th photo not the 4th.

Once I suss out how to post them, Ill post the 4 that dont turn youre stomach.

Also found a little bit more information on a pic that was posted last year, which I'll post too.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

Which leads me to believe there was (obviously) a 'sub-culture' about our 'sub-culture' - that we were unaware of.

Here in Manchester, we have the 'Gay Village', and I have seen many well-turned out 'bovver-boys', cruising about. (I worked near there for years - until fairly recently (and that M'Laud, is the case for the defence :satisfied: ) and it's not a bad place to sit out, 'people-watching', on a sunny day.

Most of them, admittedly, appear about 25... but it's a popular look.

I did mention an instance where I stumbled across some 'bad boys', in that area, to 'Little Queenie' - but I'm not for sharing that one, on here. :embar:

11. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am pretty sure Ive got larger copies of these, and un cropped, but Ill have to look through my old pc to find them.

Theyre definately properly "shot" if you know what i mean, its not a candid snap of Lads going about their business.

12. Gramps

Gramps Senior member

On a Seprate Note, this pic has been on here before, but now i have a little (not much) background on it.

It was taken on March the 10th 1973, Its the corner of Belk Street and Ulla Street in Middlesbrough (Doesnt look like that any more). And what is surprising about it, other than them looking 4 years out of date for London standards, is the fact that one of them is of Asian ethnicity. Weve all heard about Original Black Skins, but dont think Ive heard of Asian Skins.

[​IMG]

13. Ed Vaughan

Ed Vaughan Senior member

And almost certainly a 'pro' shot, looking at the resolution?

We never did the paki-bashing (will I now have 'Plod' kicking my door in for saying that?) when we were out-and-about... but hippies and greasers... :satisfied:

Don't recall any Asian skins at all - but i heard Leicester City had a little crew. (According to MCFC boys who were at Wembley for the City v Leicester cup final in '69?)

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I would not worry about it... their has always been homosexuals about, and if their was poof skinheads in the 60s, so what ?? Their was a lot of Queer bashing in NW London up on Hampstead Heath, The back of Jack Straws Castle Pub.. like P bashing I could never see the sense of it and never took part. To me it was just Cowardly bullying.

1 person likes this.
  15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Talking about Queer Bashing, and P Bashing, over in SE London, [Woolwich has a Barracks] Skinheads would go Squaddie Bashing, When you think about it 60s Skinheads was little fcukers.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bantam

Bantam Member

Chances are the young lad in the middle is a Yemeni, there was a large community from the old colony of Aden working in the shipping/docks of the North East. They were made more welcome than the Asians else where.
    Clothes wise, same as I was wearing the year before as a 14/15 year old in Bradford.

17. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

"Squaddie Bashing"went on in Guildford as well.You had the Guards Depot in Pirbright.They would come over every Friday and Saturday,to meet up with the WRACs(stationed in Stoughton-just outside of Guildford).The two Pubs where they went were both targets for the I.R.A(Horse and Groom and The Seven Stars)in the 70s.Every weekend fights would break out between Squaddies and Skinheads in the Underpass going to the Railway Station-or in the Station itself.One of the main Skinhead Pubs(The Napoleon)was right on top of the Underpass, so fun and games was always had around there.:)

18. bunty

bunty Senior member

Similar list to Brownie's but chronological accuracy not as good - Desert boots (right through 60's to about '68) Riders, mostly brown ('67/'68) 'Casual nondescript round toed lace-ups' (could be the same as Colin's Ravel shoes) which were worn with jeans, bought inexpensively in high street shoe shops, they were similar looking to Solatios and were often hand dyed with Woolworths shoe dye (as were Desert Boots). Solatios, Brown (from '68?) which were expensive and not tampered with :) Monkey boots ('67/'68) And I have a photo somewhere, dated '67, with what appears to be clumpy Penny Loafers, not the more delicate looking early 70's tasseled type? Heavy Brogues ('68 onward) Then came the boots..and what has been said many times - any boots at first then oxblood DMs later on, then shoes got more 'refined' again as the barnet got longer...

Levis were worn generally without turn ups for shoes and were rolled up for boots, that way they could be worn with either. Some lads had jeans taken up high (without turn ups) to be worn with boots though. It was felt that Levis were too expensive to experiment with and they were only bleached/cut when they were becoming worn out. 'Tescos Tearaways' were worn by little kids (me)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  19. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Nah, don't think so mate. The photo's, as in the quality of those photos, doesn't match with the camera's of the day, definately not something from a 1971 Canon F-1... I'd say late 70s and possibly even later, the black kids cloths are blurred so could be anything imo.

But I knew these where a bunch a poofs, it was posted on UKS forum a long time ago, I think it was mentioned when these where shot I can't remember it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  20. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Thanks Bunty.

I'll try to come up with my chronology a bit later.