Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I saw them in Brixton Market and it seems that they were popular around that Area.Skins from other parts of London have not seen them before-which is new to me.I have a copy of the Jacket now(Black Leather).That is how much I liked them.

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Always wanted a Suede Levi Jacket with a Leather Collar(Bottle Green).Never got it.As M-o-M says,they were expensive-only the top "Boys had them.My Output on Clothing was hampered by the fact,I worked in the Retail Trade.Never one of the better paid Jobs.Still got me around the various Areas of London(mostly South,West and East London).Never really went to places such as Kilburn,Williesden etc.Only went to the "Royal" once.There were other Dancehalls/Clubs that I went to.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I was pretty lucky to pick up a Black Leather Levi Jacket on Ebay,some months ago.I Lovely Jacket.Have not had the "Bottle" to wear it out yet-old habits die hard.:)

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

In late `67/ early`68,I wore a heavy English Brogue(with thick Leather Sole).This was before the "Royals" took off.There were other Brogues worn,I remeber a cherry red Brogue worn-whether this was widely worn?

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Junya Watanabe MAN has a split suede Levi's Type 3 jacket with a corduroy collar this season, comes in black and maybe brown.

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Ah yes, thank you for putting me right!

7. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Absolutely. We seem to overlook the fact that the American style brogue was only de rigueur for a relatively short time. A friend of mine insisted on wearing a chunky English style brogue in a light tan in early 1970 and he really was a laughing stock. But to have done this up to about Spring 1969 would have been forgivable.

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

You had to have the correct kit, I remember a couple of brothers turning up wearing Loake brogues they just had the piss taken out of them cruel.. but thats how teenagers are. Loake was a lot cheaper than Royals, You could tell them a mile off.
    I have seen plenty of present day skinheads wearing any old brogue, makes one wonder ? I have a nice pair of Churchs Grafton brogues lovely shoe, but i would not wear them at a skinhead doo,:D If you are gonna do something do it properly .:)

9. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

If you were going to a doo that say demanded suit and tie what shoos would you wear, Roy?

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Their is no demand to wear a suit at a skinhead doo John,...but i often wear one at a doo, then i will wear ,Brogues, Plain caps or Gibsons,

Just realised what you meant John, I would not wear my Church Grafton brogue's at at skinhead doo, just would not look right + i would be contradicting myself,:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

damn some good stuff while i was in Japan. Really interesting talk about the various shirts that are so coveted these days, esp about Jon Wood which always seem to fetch near 200 quid if they have skinhead details

a couple pics from Tokyo/Nagoya....new years spent with the crew that hangs out at Bermondsey Cafe, a brit pub owned by my mate Jun who some may know since he goes to the big weekenders in England quite a bit and many know him over in UK. The Nagoya guys are REALLY into traditional/original skinhead with not a lot of interest in Oi, but mostly skinhead reggae and soul. The NYE club was great, amazing songs all through the night with a good mix of reggae, soul, ska, even rockabilly. Alex and Laury from Italy also came on holiday and Alex DJd as well.

most of the Nagoya crew
    [​IMG]

couple of the younger Nagoya guys
    [​IMG]

various pics throughout the night
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on a different note, as Tokyo doesnt seem to have much of a traditional scene, more new breed Oi/Punk etc. This band is one of our faves tho, The Autocratics, have posted about them before but have always managed to catch a gig when we're in town. Really good band if you're into 2Tone ska which they do very very well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Great Pics Jason, yes i have met Jun a few times,

13. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

Nice pics Jason. Did acquire any interesting gear over there?

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

nothing mindblowing....a couple slip over sweater vests. pair of jeans and tshirts from Studio d'Artisan. showed far more restraint than in past!!

but the amount of cool gear (not necessarily skinhead but just "cool" in general) in Tokyo is mindblowing if you have the $$$

15. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

Yeah I hear you. I was there in November with some friends that never be there so it was hard to hold back.
    The only thing that saved me is the sizing, I'm not that big but even x-large fits snug.
    I went to the Van (Jacket) store this time, kinda a funny place, it's like a cheap J. Press full of fake collegiate memorabilia, their shirts are pretty cool though.