Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Take a bow, Ron Howard.

Not unlike that, although I would guess that RH's character is supposed to be a small-town kid and that shirt would have come from a small-town outfitter.

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Yeah, we've talked about these :)

I remember when one of my mates and I were the only two guys in our neighbourhood to get a particular shirt from the Squire Shop - mine yellow check on blue, his blue check on yellow. You're right about the limited run - they were like gold dust.

I never had a Brutus or a Jaytex, but I do remember having had Bens in stripes and checks. Several of them lasted for years afterwards - I was still wearing a black/white large gingham shirt into the 1980s (in time for the first 'revival'), and 'er indoors wore an old striped Ben of mine as a painting smock into the 90s.

This pic of me throttling my old hippie mate Mark shows me in a green gingham Ben Sherman.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Well said mate.

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

n[

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The shirt that Ron Howard is wearing could have been bought out of the Ivy/Squire shop, Its the style of shirt that many of the Original smart skinheads would aspire too, and would spend a fortune getting them,
    I still wear Ivy style shirts a classic.

6. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Great piece there Buttons.
    Very useful information. I bet your are right on the Jaytex being modified I'll ask. I just assumed the V cut mas there originally.
    Glad you remember the 'Naytex', thanks for the background info. I did see some Naytex sta-press on e-bay once, quite basic/standard.

P.s. Probably a stupid question, but is a 'benny' a Ben sherman? or is it another brand or style of shirt.

7. OHT

OHT Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I've never heard of the brands @ 1:27 & 1:36. Do you original skinheads remember or heard of them?

Just thought I also say that the girl @ 0:30 is stunningly beautiful :D

8. OHT

OHT Senior member

I have 2 BD shirts that are loose/baggy like the one Ron H is wearing and I only wore them just a few times because they look too baggy. It looks untidy. I think only the white long sleeve BD shirts or maybe all plain shirts can pull it off(as long as it's not baggier than how Ron H's shirt is imo).

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep do agree, I have so many BDs that one would consider to baggy, Ralph Lauren, Gant, Faconnable all do a custom fit which is a little slimmer, These current shirts also have a smaller collar which suits me,
    In the early 80s the Ivy shop sold a shirt called BD Baggies, which was baggy but that was the style back then, still have a couple somewhere, the collar shape was dead on.

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

11. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Mathew this thread is not about politics mate.
    But in answer to your question SHARP is American so not really relevant anyway.

12. Sssssssssnake

Sssssssssnake Member

love the pics Bunty, were you in Skeg in '69 I was working the donkeys on the clock tower pitch.easter.whit and august bank holidyas the skins would come down the beach,a few run ins with the greasers.happy days.

13. bunty

bunty Senior member

Roy - I don't believe this, just found out that's exactly what they did :D so I suppose this must of been a pre '69 trick? Locally, the lads got their BS's converted into short sleeves by taking them to 'Paul Jeffries' (like Burtons) . The sleeves didn't fall quite right apparently but it was a bit of oneupmanship. Not sure if this was Mod days though.

Have to bow down to your terrific knowledge of shirts lads, had Brutus and Jaytex, so confused over which was which ,what was the cheaper brand that fell apart? Brutus?

Was Rael Brook a Mod shirt brand? And the 'unironable' Harry Fenton's?

14. bunty

bunty Senior member

Hello Sssssnake, no, I wasn't at Skeggy in '69, my brother and his wife (in photos) were - I was only 5 unfortunately. :angry:

15. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

That is the great thing about this site...people pulling together ..getting to the bottom of things, I had a drink before Christmas with a load of old ex Kilburn Skinheads, its was funny what people remembered, but one thing all remembered was Royals... The price.... and getting them from the Ivy shop Richmond. It was such a big occasion. The price and knowing as a Skinhead you arrived,:D

Just to add i,am sure we wore Harry Fenton shirts before Ben Shermans ?