Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yea Phil and Yaffa are friends of ours, been going there forever. That is easily the world's largest Fred Perry selection in one spot. Not sure when you were there last, but in addition to the main store, and the adjacent space which they sell Lambretta, Ben Sherman and Merc out of, they also got the other adjacent side and it is an official "Dr Marten" shop (among other likeminded shoe brands like George Cox etc). It's def one of the best one stop "UK subculture" stores anywhere in the world.

did you ever go to gigs at Spankys or the Barn? Dont travel out to Riverside much (at all), but back in late 80s used to see some hardcore gigs at Spankys, saw The Selecter on their first reunion tour at the Riverside Convention Center, and a band I was in we played at The Barn once, but I know they did a lot of ska shows there as my missus used to go to those all the time back in 90s. Hey since you're flip, you know of the band Signal 3? They were an LA based oi band, all filipino guys, around in late 90s and put out a 5 or 6 song mini record. Pretty good band but dont know anything about them even tho they are socal based. I met their "manager" once, some traditional filipino skinhead guy, but other than that dont think I've ever seen any of those guys anywhere. Not that I'm saying all flips know each other or anything......:)

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

+1 it's the slant eye curse

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I agree MoM , The type of dress i saw worn was short sleeve, round collar, Stitching across.. just under the breast, the the dress would flair out somewhat, and be short, mini style, the patten would be flowery.
    The dress looked a bit like a maternity dress, these was worn late 67 early 68, ?

By 69 most Girls was wearing Mini Skirts, Fluffy crew neck jumpers and white tights, and the fashion shoes of the day , and i don't mean loathers .
    My mate Noreen would make her own skirts out up of mohair material.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Looks like we have a few L.A Skinheads on here, Nice one :D

5. rufio

rufio Member

I love this store....only able to get to this place every once in a while.

As far as Spanky's and the Barn....I used to go there all the time. In fact they redid the barn after closing it for a while and a couple of us hard mods went to the Rude Boys Outta Jail show a month back (fantastic 2 tone tribute band with players looking like original band.....especially the the Pauline Black and the Bad Manners front man.) Back in the 90's I hung out with a rock-a-billy bunch at the time. kinda funny...[hard] mods and rockers. And as far as Signal 3.....geez...I totally forgot about those guys.

6. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Thanks Harry. I have worn a pinafore before as a '71 look, though not my style these days. Do you or your sister remember when she wore them? Pre or post the more overt Skinhead clothes? It's good to clarify descriptions: sometimes we end up talking at cross purposes on this thread!

7. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

Rufio, yes I'm from the LA area. Been a skinhead since 89 but never rode a scooter before. Like most people I got into the new breed Oi sceen first went to alot of shows by So Cal based Oi bands The Authority, The Revolt, Bovver Wonderland etc.If you've been to any of their shows around LA in the 90s I woudn;t be surprised if you saw me. Then I gradually drifted to the smarter traditional style along with the music, Desmond Dekker, Toots and the Maytals and the like.

Speaking of England Belongs, I've bought a few items from them, my most recent aquisition being their black gingham bd shirt and thinking of buying a pair of sta-prests.

8. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

A few slanteyes who got skipped that curse are able to grow them. Lucky bastards.

AnywayI think I read it in the Nick Knight Skinhead book that in the 60s some skinheads too young to grow them compensated by using marker to make their sideburns look thicker. I just don't remember what book I read it from it might've been from the Nick Knight book.

You mean Posers added a third ajacent store? The last time I was there their footwear were being sold on the second floor upstairs from where they sold FPs. And you're right that's the best brit subculture apparel store. that is, If you've got money to spend.

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yes they moved their shoes to an adjacent spot, so it's no longer upstairs.

regarding muttonchop burns...you could always go the Kev Turner route, and get a DM boot tattooed there :slayer:

10. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I think it would have been 70/71 i suppose. Maybe a touch later. But skinheads stayed around longer in the Midlands unlike London. I know she had some suits made aswell as dresses, short sleeved with round collars. I remeber she has a light blue'gold one which was nice. I will have to contact her to get some pictures of her and her ex BF. But havn't really spoken to her for a few years.

11. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

Choco I read that Boot Boys used to wear spray painted Dr. Martens, any truth to this?

thanks as always.

12. OHT

OHT Senior member

lol that last part is 100% correct. I know about the Posers store as well :happy:. That's where I bought my 1st pair of boots(Grip Fast). I would love to buy me another pair but damn they're too high priced over there.

13. OHT

OHT Senior member

the slant eye curse is not just for slant eyes :( lol

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Blimey, can no one round here say 'epicanthic fold'??? :D :D

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

A better shot of the old Levis jacket

[​IMG]

A great pity it's a size too small.