Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I have a nice Aquascutum one. Wouldn't say that was cheap mate. But i know what you mean. Suppose they were more accesable those days.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Their was a article in the Mirror a Year before in 69 about the Kilburn and Hendon mobs rioting in Burnt Oak, maybe thats the one you are on about little Queenie,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Thats definatly a 60 picture. You can tell by the fit of the girls jeans. Also the girls shirt. No skinheads in the 70s would wear a shirt like that. I d say that picture is very early skinhead i.e. 67/68.

As for girls wearing the gear. My sister used to wear her boyfriends shirts originally. Before going all out and getting suits made and dresses ect. She also used to sometimes wear her boyfriends harrington and monkey jackets.

We always called the girls "Sorts" round here as an affectionate term. but only if they were Skinheads. Normal girls were just Birds.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Just thinking Little Queenie i think you are right, as those Boy and Girl was in the Mirror the year before, it was after the report of the rioting in Burnt Oak, in 69.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep the word Sorts for Girls brings back memories, Its funny as for years after the then ex Skinheads would use that word for a nice looking girl, like she is one Sort,:D

6. Sssssssssnake

Sssssssssnake Member

its the same guy as the mirror pic from 1970 isnt it? and I doubt this was pre'69,certainly not '67 and maybe very late '68

7. Sssssssssnake

Sssssssssnake Member

by the way I just remembered a few of the Boston Girl skins,braces ,boots and harringtons and they could fight :)

8. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In early 69 Kilburn and Hendon Skinheads was all over the National papers due to the riot in Burnt Oak, The Lad and Girl was in the papers was due to Skinheads spreading from London to all over the UK .. think the couple came from Mile End London, Later in the Year the BBC made the documentary about the Kilburn Skinheads,
    Whats got to me remembered the media are always way behind whats going on with Youth street culture.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

No disrespect to new people joining this thread, but we are going over old ground here, please read the whole thread, every now and again new stuff comes up which is why this thread has been going for so long, but its a pain repeating stuff thats already been written.

10. OHT

OHT Senior member

I noticed that her Collar is not BD. Was this common/acceptable for skinhead girls back then?

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

In 67/68 any shirt was worn, Cant remember why we started to wear BDs, it just happened,:) is it just a blouse she is wearing .. like many girls of that time?

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

just to add is she wearing a blouse that girls wore at that time?

13. Darksideoftheforce

Darksideoftheforce Well-Known Member

IMO bd collars are smarter looking and holds up well under a coat or jacket. And certainly looks better too.

None bd collars and the collar eventually pops out of the coat making the wearer look untidy. The shirt I have on in my pic is none BD from Banana Republic. not exactly a skinhead brand but what the hell.:happy:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I can vouch for that too. You would refer to your g/f as 'my sort'. You would talk about 'blagging a sort' for hooking up. 'Tasty sort' would be the phrase used quietly to one another after after a good-looking girl had gone by - you wouldn't go on about it, it wasn't cool to say anything except by understatement.

15. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

To me it almost looks as though the paper has gone out and pulled in the first skinhead couple they spotted. The trouble was that it was from such images that the late-arrivals took their cue, and it put pressure on the 'great look' getting 'lost'.