Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Thanks for explaining that G, The type of jacket i wore in 68 was a bomber type jacket, [ now called a monkey jacket ?? ] it was Black nylon material with elasticated collar cuffs and wast with red piping, Navy blue was also poplar. These jackets was just cheap stuff that a lad at school could afford.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

DeLongs usually come (these days) with all kinds of logos, letters, and piping, unlike the 'clean' look the BBs are wearing. The jackets I knew in 67/68 were 'not unlike' them, but they wouldn't have actually been DeLong. The lightweight ones were unlined, by the way, and were fastened by a zip only. These days you can't get a monkey jacket without piping, apart from the FP one which is ridiculously expensive.

But - hey! - the Corvette... :D

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

interesting bit of info. I actually have a dark red jacket EXACTLY as you describe (looks like a monkey jacket, wool, snap button front and a small shawl collar), made by Lacoste for the Japanese market. But these were not typical skinhead jacket were they? I thought it was something that M-o-M was after for himself, but not sure if it was based on what skinheads wore back in his (your) day, or just something he wanted as a well dressed bloke in 2011

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

on that note, it would be great to incorporate a few paragraphs in the Walk Proud book, about "long lost fashion" that is not typically associated with skinhead. for example corduroy strides, the coat just mentioned above etc.

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The College type jacket that G describes was not worn by 60s Skinheads, I doubt if such a American jacket would have been available in the UK at that time,

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Corduroy Strides, We called them Cords, They was worn widespread by London Skinheads, At one time near as popular as Levi Jeans,
    The Levi Cord was the most popular, cant remember if Lee made Cords.

Just to add the Cord was needle patten. and five pocket like the Jeans.

7. westcoastskin

westcoastskin New Member

hate to butt in here, but I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knew what shirt the guy in the middle of this photo is wearing?[​IMG]

8. Man-of-Mystery

67/68 Northern mod rather than skinhead, although I did see some guys wearing them in London in 1968 when I came down there to live.

A bit of the latter really, I suppose - well dressed bloke in 2011 that is - except I was looking for something I would have been familiar with in my youth which is now lost to fashion, rather like the other things you mentioned, Jason. Yes, Roy is right about the Levi cords - and they were one thing which was popular right across the country at one time or another in the late 60s, but you don't hear about them in revival circles (correct me if I'm wrong).

The picture below is is of really bad quality, but those are Levi cords I'm wearing along with a dark green Harrington, my signature aviators, and I think brown Gibson shoes. The cords look a bit baggy round the knees though, but they were definitely Levis.

[​IMG]

9. noddy

noddy Member

I found this on another forum its part of discussion about shoes from the early 70s description of them sounds like norwegians anyone ever heard them called this before ?

'' We use to buy them down Brick Lane/Club Row market... We use to call them 'sugar tops' in London (if we are talking about the same shoes, lace ups with a lattice work on the top & squared of toes ect ?)

I had a pair for school 69-70 cost about a fiver..."

10. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

I'm correcting you! We wear them!

11. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

You're right Roy, Defo not worn by Skinheads. I had a DeLong jacket (Black wool body/Black leather sleeves) that an uncle gave me around 1970. When I first wore it all I heard was "what the fuck are you wearing?". That was enough for me and next day I was back in standard uniform of Harrington.

The jacket I mentioned before is available in standard and with upgrade variations in the UK. Not a Skinhead jacket but classic American style from the 40's/50's.

MoM - see above post. These jackets are available in plain colours with different collars/cuffs/front snaps or zip etc. Not a monkey jacket but a classic American style car coat.

I always wore Beige or Black Cords or needle cords as some called them. They looked great with Solatio's and a Fair Isle sweater. I continued to wear cords thru the 70's no matter what youth cult I was allied to - Skinhead/Smooth/Suedehead/Boot Boy/Mod etc.

The clothing items I like to forget from around late 60's - early 70's are: Falmer jeans - the flared/baggy ones that some boot boys wore; stack heeled shoes with the cream coloured soles; Tartan caps with the fluffy bobble on top(!); Oxford bags (usually worn with crepe soled 2-tone shoes and a long rain coat). [​IMG]

Yep, Sugar Tops. We always referred to them as Solatio's, Sugar Tops or Hippy Killers! Topic has been covered before on here and most call them Norwegians. I seem to remember getting mine from Blackmans in Cheshire Street, which was (still is) the best place for DM's.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ personally I never understood the Originals' appeal for Solatios/Norwegians and Crossovers. I know they are popular among those going for the Original look but....:crazy:

different horses for courses I suppose. :)

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I have mentioned this before, Solatios/Norwegians, crossovers?? never heard or saw any Skinhead around my part of 60s London wearing them, I remember every bit of Skinhead clobber, but to be honest from around 72 i only remember certain stuff.

14. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

9" leg opening looks to me really baggy, also it swings aroung ankles when worn with turn-ups. So no jeans fit like the guy on the left? [​IMG]

15. Man-of-Mystery

You would. In fact you may. :D

Choco G, let's not get at cross purposes about these jackets - I'm only talking about something similar to the DeLongs in the pic of the Beach Boys, which I remember from 67/68.