Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The 60s Levi 501XX, Had a 9 inch leg opening....the leg was near parallel, Never saw anyone wearing tight fitting jeans in London, Up North they seemed to like wearing a baggier fit.

Just got to add, We tended to wear the 501XX with Zip Fly

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

2. reggaebunker

reggaebunker New Member

hello,i´m new here,but i follow this forum for quite a while.a good adress for redlines is volls clothing,maybe a little cheaper as in u.k.

3. reggaebunker

reggaebunker New Member

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

site has some good gear, but lord the prices!!! Esp on the Studio d'Artisan jeans, way too high!!

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Talking about corduroys the other page made me wonder if there is any other gear that was commonly worn but not as well known about...? since the skinhead style uses clothes that were around much longer than "skinhead" in the form of "city gent" gear, what about other smart dress, for example flannels, tweeds (in trousers or coats) etc. There seems to be a lot of room for incorporating such cloths into original skinhead dress. or was it looked down upon to wear such cloths?

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Apart from the navy blue trilby (NOT a 'pork pie') I can't think of anything offhand.

By the way I am still looking for the elusive plain monkey jacket - that is without any piping on the collar or cuffs - which was current around 67/68. It was not unlike the jackets worn by the Beach Boys (below). Usually a bit darker, but the collar and cuffs seemed darker still. Some guys wore a lighter, sky blue version, but navy was the more usual. The nearest I have found is the Fred Perry, but the price is extortionate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

8. Sipreano

Sipreano Member

The cheapest decent longwing brogues seem to be the Loake Royal.
    You can get them on ebay for a good price new: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loake-Royal-Brogue-available-Black-Burgundy-/300565630861

Superior are the Sanders Southwark, but they cost a bit more: http://www.sanders-uk.com/products/Southwark-92.php

9. reggaebunker

reggaebunker New Member

what about moc toe boots?were they original skinwear?i think on the symarip-skinhead moonstomp cover,the bloke who´s sitting is wearing some.i´ve got a pair of suede ones(no wedge sole).i like them very much,and i think they are a good alternative to dm´s or army boots.[​IMG]

10. Sipreano

Sipreano Member

11. reggaebunker

reggaebunker New Member

what are you think about moc toe boots?are they original skinwear?the bloke(who´s sitting) on the skinhead moonstomp cover,i think, is wearing some.i like them very much,and i think they´re a good alternative to dm`s or army boots.[​IMG]

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

this wont help much, but I've found after reading tons of posts about shoe sizing (among many brands) asked by people who seem to need a specific size fitting, that a lot of online advice is only marginally helpful since the phrase "YMMV" really applies when it comes to shoes and ya gotta try it on for yourself and risky buying sight unseen online

that said, IMO and from MY experience, I find Dr Marten airwair to run small, so I always size up 1 full size from my norm. With Solovair I stay true to size. That said, comparing the 2 (DM being 1 size larger than my norm), they seem to fit about the same in width. The difference would be the Mikkel Rude 1969 boot made by Solovair, those I think run noticeably narrower than 1460s

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

For the Originals Jason it was a uniform, As a teenager you could not deviate you had to stick to what everyone was wearing, the first item of none skinhead clothing we started to wear was Beagle collar shirts, it must of been a brave lad who was the first to wear one, and thats the thing no one knew the first, it just happened, mostly over night. :)

14. bunty

bunty Senior member

^ I've seen lots of V-neck jumpers and cardis being worn in old photos, not many crew necks and I don't think I've ever seen a roll/polo neck jumper being worn by a Skinhead. I know Mods wore them, then Suedes, but Skins?

15. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

The jackets worn by the Beach Boys in the photo are Car/Stadium/Varsity Coats probably made by DeLong. They are wool with snap fastening on front and cuffs and a knitted stand up or shawl/roll collar. The colour looks like possibly Columbia Blue. I've got various college coats new and old that I wear while dreaming of owning a Corvette just like Dennis'!