Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I wore mine like that on some jeans. So did a lot of blokes round my neck of the woods.

[​IMG] (c) me

2. Man-of-Mystery

Not really, out in the suburbs. I suppose one or two of our crowd would react to a question with, "I dunno. Ask Paul - he's brainy", but as we all liked the same things and we all had the 'mates' culture that Lasttye often points to, it didn't seem to matter. I wasn't all that high up in the 'middle class' thing anyway. The edges were blurred, if you like. I don't think it quite means the same thing in the UK as it does in the US anyway.

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

We had a couple of lads from middle class back grounds in our gang, one a jewish lad, and the other had a private school education, No one took any notice, we was just not interested... although we was working class, we did not label ourselves at that time as working class, we was just teenagers and anyone was welcome who looked the same as us.

4. Man-of-Mystery

I couldn't have put it better, Roy.

5. beetleboy

beetleboy New Member

Hi i have been told all about them times in chelmsford my dad was a skinhead at that time . He said it could get very rough at times and he opened the local paper at the start of this year i think and there was a big double page right up on skinheads fighting in chelmsford and it was all what i had been told . For sombody thats never seen anything like that i could not beleave it .

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

One of the biggest records of 1969 was Honkey Tonk Woman...Rolling Stones, It was the Summer of 69, We all went down to Hyde Park to watch the Stones, We never got near the stage, But spent most the afternoon slinging Hippies in the Serpentine.
    Honky Tonk Woman was the most played record in the Phoenix Youth Club Kilburn of 69,

7. Man-of-Mystery

I was there. I was stuck in the middle of the crowd with a bunch of hippies on one side of me and a middle-aged couple picnicking on the other. We were all stuck there so we just sat and listened to the music, passed cans of beer or pop around. :D

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Stones-in-thePark-3a.html

There's some stories of people that were there , with a few mentions of Skinheads.

Great little quote....

' I personally came home with enough two bob bits (the price of a Pepsi) to buy three Ben Shermans - the ones in the woodgrain boxes and a Harrington. '

I had loads of those boxes as a kid, used to keep my Action Man stuff in them - didn't know that they were Ben Sherman boxes :D

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Summer of 69 was the height of the Skinheads, i remember going into the Phoenix Youth club with the intro of Honky Tonk, banging out it was always on the juke box. Too busy thinking about my Baby, Marvin Gaye, was another .they seem to wear the records out they was played so much,:)

10. nightdoctor

nightdoctor New Member

Interesting forum! Just joined on here, hello to Roy and Dave (Loempiavreter). I'm also on the UKskinhead forum, a friend of Dave so thats how I came here.

I'll take the time these next days to read the latest post on here as it seems to be all verry interesting[​IMG]

11. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Welcome mate,

13. nightdoctor

nightdoctor New Member

Thnx Roy!

By the way, I have a question as I am looking for a pair of decent brogues but I don't wanna go spend too big money at the moment. Anyone got any tips on this one?

14. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

I really enjoy these "day in the life" stories, gives a really great insight to those of us who weren't there, thanks!

15. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior member

Rob! You finally joined! Welcome mate :D