Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. OHT

OHT Senior member

I agree with you on that. It doesn't look right at all to have staprest/dress pants cuffed.

2. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

The shoes in the pic look like Solatio's to me. Can't ever remember anyone calling them Norwegian's at the time, always Solatio's. Big clumpy toe with the basketweave top. Black was the popular choice and looked great with cuffed jeans, Cords or Sta-Prest. Solatio's were in big for summer/autumn '71.

Sta-Prest were always hemmed never cuffed.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Levi Sta-Prests(back in `69)were worn either Hemmed or with a 1/2" Turn-up.Both looked smart with Boots.

The Picture is brilliant Bunty.I know Roy has a photo of himself,in `71,but I never saw anyone else like that.Is it further North?I ask this because no self-respecting ex-Skinhead would wear Norwegians,(the later version of Solatio Gibsons-these you could only get in Black.Later other Companies bought out Versions,which to my mind looked bloody awful.),with that style of Suit. :)

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The Levi Sta-Prests(back in `69)were worn either Hemmed or with a 1/2" Turn-up.Both looked smart with Boots.

Same here Colin in 69 , I would wear say white Staprest high up on the Boots with half inch turn ups, If i was wearing Staprest on a Saturday evening i would wear them hemmed with shoes:)

5. moonhop70

moonhop70 Member

Yup, forgot to mention. Dickies were the standard wear for mods/rudies/skins in the L.A. '80s scene, simply because they were cheap, durable and looked great. The tan, charcoal grey, navy and teal green (also known as "money green" to the thugs and cholos) were universal for sure—if I wasn't sporting jeans, then I had on Dickies. Back in '86 I remember them being as cheap as $12 a pair.

Funny thing is, at the time Dickies were otherwise exclusively worn by gangsters, who either wore them 4-5 sizes big and "sagged" them (popular with the black gangs), or wore them 4-5 sizes big and folded them over in the front to create pleats, cinching them with a navy web belt (popular style for cholos who wanted to emulate the high-waisted, baggy pleated zoot-suit "pachuco" gangster look of the '30s-'50s).

I would dare say that the mod/ska scenesters at the time were the only ones who would use Dickies in a completely alternative fashion, wearing them to fit and tapering them at the hem (we wouldn't ever wear anything non-tapered). I had a cousin who was a cholo at the time and he could not believe that I would do that to Dickies. "You fucked up your Dickies, man!" Him and his homeboys would commonly associate mods with "nerds" for doing so.

LoL, regarding the dead stock of Levi's, Jason—same thing would happen with us, the sizing was often way small. Then there was the matter of color; since it was old stock the color was also authentically '60s-'70s hues, which wouldn't look right unless you had a top that matched. I think that's also why mods in the '80s were the only ones who dared to wear them, since they would often times sport '60s mocks, Ban-Lons and other shirts that would pair well with those pants. And again, since Dickies were standard apparel, the Levi's were only for those who wanted to stand out and be completely "authentic."

6. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

What do you guys think of the Anhalt EBM scene taking their cues from skin style?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qF_Zu7n2A-8/Tlocj9QAakI/AAAAAAAAAtQ/-cbT-YhLw6k/s1600/20110114_TWAT_Promos_039.jpg[img]
    [img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-br_AN621PNE/TlocsCr1sSI/AAAAAAAAAtY/Pc8xyoXyOvA/s1600/248399_205651502810572_205649796144076_500439_1747149_n.jpg
    [​IMG]

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

FCUK ME This thread is really going down hill, What the fcuk is the above to do with Traditional Skinheads. Or any Skinheads for that matter,.:angry:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. CharlieAngel

It was an honest question about another, non-traditional-skin scene taking their cues from what appears to be trad-skin styles and how the trads feel about someone else "aping" the look, but without the "heritage" to go with it? Calm down, Francis, I'm not trying to steal your old-man thunder.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  9. bunty

bunty Senior member

North? Yes, Edmonton :D

Is that shoe/suit combination a wrong un then? The suit does look earlier and the shoes about right for the time? It does look 'awkward' tho...

It's me bruv again Roy. Got his mates looking for photos too

10. Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Member

Lack of imagination, I guess.

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

What the hell is "Anhalt EBM scene"??

But those images make me want to puke. Some very punchable characters in those photos

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Like my pic Paul.. the combination is wrong, Whats unique about your Brothers pic and mine its a contradiction, I have seen a couple of people at present day Doo dress like that, But it did not happen in 71 London,
    The only reason i'am wearing that suit is because i needed one for my Brothers wedding so i dragged it off the floor of the wardrobe, I never wore that suit again, and fcuk knows wear it went, i had that suit made late 69, It was Dormeuil Mohair, Bottle Green with a Dark Red pinstripe.

My shirt is a flowery Beagle Collar, Your Brother is wearing Norwegians, which is 71, The suits are 69 :D

Looks like your Brother had a wedding to go to also.:)

13. CharlieAngel

It's on wikipedia, but basically it's a revival of the late-80s EBM scene that featured bands like Nitzer Ebb, Front 242, and some others. It's basically a music style composed of step-sequenced basslines and a simple drum machine with a lot of shouting. I think the guy in the first 2 pics has embraced the term "Oi!BM" for his music. The recognized Nexus is Anhalt, Germany (hence the name), but the bands are pretty widespread from, say, Belgium to Stockholm to Russia and Serbia. I'm actually a fan of the music, but the appropriation of the "skin" style is a bit disturbing to me. Skins should be skins, industrial ebm guys should be industrial ebm guys. It's about as confusing as that Southpark episode with all the "glitter Hot Topic vampire goths" running around leaving the "real" goths going "WTF is this shit?"

14. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

LOL

I was about to answer that with two words: Bruce LaBruce

15. bunty

bunty Senior member

[​IMG]
    Caption says 1971. Is this suit more a fair example of the time?

Sorry, had to bung these in!
    [​IMG]Made by Skyjump[​IMG]

The shapes and colour of those Budgie jackets remind me of the decor in 'A Clockwork Orange' !:)
    I remember family parties and it seemed that everyone was wearing them!