Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bunty

bunty Senior member

Blimey, what have I missed?:D

Hello all, more questions for the Old Firm -

On the subject of Sta-prest, I have a few more photos (which I put in a safe place that I can't bleedin' well find) Anyway, one's dated '67 and shows; loafers, Sta-prest, Smedley style jersey (was the big brand 'Sabre' or something similar?) I didn't know Sta-prest were worn then (in '67), but apparently some Mods were wearing them even earlier? Anyone remember?

Photo below is '71, now I remember Roy posting a similar photo of himself at a wedding in '71 wearing his 'Skinhead suit' a while back. Were these styles totally out of fashion by then? I don't mean mainstream fashion you understand. The casual smooth/suede/French style had evolved, but what about the cut of the suit? Could you still get away with the old style? Or just weddings and funerals only?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

2. moonhop70

moonhop70 Member

Wow, talk about instant enlightenment these days. Back in '86-'87 the only Levi's sta-prest that I knew of was the "jeans" style with the texture as shown by Sipreano…these were highly sought after by mods (the traditional skinhead phenomena had not yet taken hold). A place on Melrose Ave. called "Cowboys and Poodles" stocked nothing but scene gear, and had racks and racks of these Levi's in pristine condition, in practically any color one could wish for. But yes, all in the jean style that later became all the rage for skins in the know about the trad look—which came along after Cowboys and Poodles closed.

3. roppitheman

roppitheman New Member

I've read through this entire thread over the last 3 days and enjoyed every sentence of it, and thought I'd register to ask this.
    Lets say a "mocker" of some kind(me) was to get a pair of Dr. Martens boots, would they have made ten hole boots in the sixties or should I get eight hole boots? black or red?

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

That is a brill pic , as its unusual like my pic, Suits was totally out, I only dragged the suit out for my brothers wedding, Looks like i was not the only one in 71 doing the same thing:D

Me in 71

[​IMG]

5. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

6. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Looks like he's wearing a nice pair of Norwegians there.

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

As it happens Alan I was gonna say something about his shoes but i did not know what they was, We did not wear shoes like that around our way, Was it a Northern thing ??

Just to add the suit the lad is wearing, The jacket length is a bit short for a skinhead suit or maybe the lad has grown out of it,:D

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

8. bunty

bunty Senior member

Spot on!:D Skint!

Are they Norwegians then? (I'll find out for sure for you) big double soled buggers aren't they?

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I don't remember wearing Norwegians Paul, I can remember everything i wore as a Skinhead in the 60s/70s.. but later its a bit of a blur, if you look at my pic in 71, I am wearing my old Royals Tassel Loathers, I do remember wearing low platform shoes around that time, The platforms got bigger as time went on, :D But not sure, My mate Alan has some pics of my Brothers wedding reception where i changed cloths, and was wearing a leather bomber style jacket, beagle collar shirt, and Bags, but cant remember the shoes that i wore that evening?? I have to get the pics but its hard work off him. :)

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Really like the suit in Bunty's pic...aside from the haircut the whole look could pass off as current. Jacket is shorter length, but I've always felt most guys (except the very tall) look better with a slightly shorter jacket, as far as proportions go.

Moonhop, i vaguely remember that store you mentioned. Something about the name is familiar. But in 80s I was not interested in staprest, not until about 1990 did that become something I wanted. I can imagine mods wanting them, but that would have made me less inclined to wear them as we did not care for mods too much. I did get my first pair of DMs back in 1985 from "Warbabies" there on Melrose. 10i black ones. Then we'd go to Bleecker Bobs to look for records. Good times.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Jason the Original Skinhead suit jacket was longer that the old Mod suit, Around our way the ideal suit jacket length was down to the top of your finger nails, this would also allow you to have a real fcuk off long rear vent which was the cool thing to have.
    Also the skinhead bespoke jacket was well waisted, unlike the box look of the lad in the pic.:D

Looking at the pic again, maybe the lads jacket is waisted, but looks strange as he is grown out of the suit, :) Fcuking brll pic though, Where do you get them from Bunty ?? .:D

12. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

So back then, were the sta-prest pants rolled up or hemmed to be so short?

13. Slack or Death

Slack or Death Member

Jason, I remember something about you and other LA Skinheads wearing tapered Dickies as Staprests? When did they really get popular?

I've been considering getting http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/PC20/work-pants.html and tapering them down slim as a cheap version of Sta-Prest pants, since I'm not too huge of a fan of polyester and these look just like Dickies.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Yes Dickies were our version of staprest back then. Was popular in 80s and onward. I remember I didn't wear jeans at all really from about 91 thru 97. Only Dickies that I had tapered to 7.5" across hem, since Dickies have a wide leg but they looked smart after a $10 tailoring. I wore em in tan, grey, navy, and a teal green which was my fave. Had a black pair but didn't wear em much. They were cheap enough. In 90s could get em for under $20. Looked good tapered and hemmed above ankle with your DM boots showing underneath. We'd go looking for staprest but were hard to find. Several times found dead stock pairs of Levi's staprest but always too small in waist. I remember finding a bunch up in Oxnard but sizing never was right.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

In my book staprest must be hemmed. Never seen rolled staprest but thats gotta look awful.