Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Well done mate, I have my opinion especially about what The UK has become, but best to keep it off this Brilliant thread.

2. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

Yeah, one that has American Front and National Alliance symbols is much better.....

3. DrBassie

Now Ben Shermans were the big choice back in the 60's but did anyone wear the original Brooks Brothers items they were mimicking? Seems like it might've been too expensive. Sounds like a good way to one-up people though.

4. War Beast

War Beast Member

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

hey, baby steps! lol

I'm sure Roy mentioned at one point how he and his mates would never wear Ben Sherman/Brutus/Jaytex and spent his cash buying the authentic American brands at Ivy/Squire shop

6. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

I ordered a new pair of DM Vintage Oxblood 1460's today. For some reason I feel like an over-excited kid, I can't wait to get them! It took me ages to decide between these and the For Life one's. I read the posts from Get Smart on the pro's and con's of both (thanks mate!) and went with the MiE's because they're the spit of what we had back in the day. I got them for around the price of the regular 1460's too - result!

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Yep thats correct Jason, in the 60s I wore Ben Shermans mostly plain colours, I soon moved on to American imports from the Ivy/Squire shop, Never wore Brutus or Jaytex, cheap crap that was worn by little skinheads,
    Regarding Ralph Lauren been wearing the stuff for over 20 years.

8. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

CHOCO G - Re: Levi's sta-prest 1968 advert.

I own Levi's sta-prest in jeans style and the slanted pocket traditional styles. Mainly the old skool slanted pocket or patch pocket styles. I like both, the jeans style being def a bit more Mod related.
    I posted that advert as I found it quite amusing. I never dreamed in a million years trad/early skinheads would wear
    jeans style sta-prest.
    And your are completly correct, just cause it's levi's sta-prest doesn't mean it is skinhead related or 'right'. I def don't 'buy into the idea' that cause it's sta-prest it must be right.

Just like Ben sherman and Fred Perry these days. You have to search through a lot of their crap to find a few decent pieces.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

9. DrBassie

Thanks GS and Lasttye. I thought I recalled reading about it but couldn't find it. I did try and search the thread for BB but didn't see anything related to back then. I a lot of the BB things out now. Can't get much into the RL things I've seen.

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

The original Ben Sherman was a lovely shirt, But stripes and check's was hard to get in the early days, Because i was one of the skinheads who shopped in the Ivy/Squire shop i soon started to wear American imports which was around Three times more expensive than a Ben Sherman,
    I cant remember the makes sold in the Ivy shop,But i'am sure they was not Brooks Brothers.

11. Choco G

Choco G Well-Known Member

I'm sure they weren't BB but could have been Gant and/or Arrow maybe? Plain colour original Ben's were lovely as you say and lasted well too unlike Brutus an Jaytex.

12. War Beast

War Beast Member

Stopped by the local thrift store on the way home from College today and found a few Merona shirts. They must have been an odd style though because none of them had top buttons. They weren't missing they were just never there. Maybe it was supposed to be like a "Miami Vice" look or something. The one that did look like a ben sherman was too small for my giant arse (I'm 6'4", 220lbs) a lot of this stuff is hard to find used for me lol.

13. War Beast

War Beast Member

I have seen a few posts about bleachers but do any of you lads have a decent place to buy pre made ones or any good techniques I could use to make my own? [​IMG]

14. TheRedCasual

TheRedCasual Member

GS - Mensi was active in RA/AFA back in the 80s and 90s, it's not a new thing. I'm not sure what you mean by 'witchhunts' in the here and now? Sorry, on my phone and can't figure out how to quote.

I've seen how the far right (NF, BM, BNP, EDL, C18 etc) hijack working class culture on the terraces, albeit from a casual perspective not a skin one. It is opportunism and isn't an organic development from the scene. So I fully support Mensi, Moreno, and the much missed AFA. SHARP doesn't really exist in the UK but good on them anyway. I respect what you have posted on this thread but with the greatest respect your views on the politics in the British scene is misguided to say the least. Skinheads were working class and the far right is resolutely anti working class - backed the police in the miners strike, attacked anti-poll tax stuff back in the day (and anti-cuts stuff in the modern day), label all opposition or anybody with a progressive outlook as 'commies' etc, they are scabs in the truest sense of the word. So it is hardly surprising that people have organised to boot these boneheads out of the scene. Nazis, fuck 'em. And skrewdriver were shit anyway!

Anyway, listen to the original skins - the scene may have been apolitical but most of the lads, like most working class lads of that era, leant to the left. And the British working class have a proud history of battering fascists going back to cable street ;)

Cracking thread btw, the reason why I joined.

15. TheRedCasual

TheRedCasual Member

Posted the above before I read the last couple of pages so apologies, if people want to keep this thread politics free then that is fine by me!