Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

M-o-M, I may have asked this already?...but what did you do once the 1970s hit? did you do the suedehead-smoothie transition (perhaps even into glam?), stay a skinhead even tho it was technically out of style, or just move on to "normal"?
    I went via suedehead to an arty kind of "long-hair" for most of the decade, not quite "glam" - cut my hair short again in about 1980.

2. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

post pics. i dont see why anyone would fake DMs, not like they are a hot commodity. Who knows you might have some killer vintage shoes. or fakes.

Heres one of the "tapered" sole. (Excuse my ugly feet please [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Here's on of the odd part of the stitching on the outside of the shoe.
    [​IMG]

And this one is tough to see but it shows how the ridges are uneven and not uniform in depth.
    [​IMG]

Any help would be nice, since I do not know if DM's used to do any of this stuff when they were still MIE for I only own a pair of MIC boots where all these things do not occur. Also, do 3i's fit different than 8 or 10's? Because these have a "10" on the inside which I assumed would mean they were 10UK but they fit like a 10US (my feet are kind of cramped in them).

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ cant say for sure. pics #2 and 3 dont really look suspicious. I've never seen the heel taper like that in pic #1, but that doesnt mean they're fake. Could be factory 2nds. There is a DM factory shop in Northampton that sells rejects, and yours could have come from there. tbh, I would just wear them and not worry about if they were fake, i doubt you paid much for them, so just wear it till it falls apart or replace with something else down the road

nothing to lose sleep over

4. OHT

OHT Senior member

Re racism - couldn't have put it better myself.

Re the "dos", no - I'm old and knackered. [​IMG]

Just curious M-o-M, with all the undeniable racism back in the 60s did it ever get to the point where some Skinheads started to disassociate themselves with Reggae or them to state that they're "Pro-White"?

5. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

^^ cant say for sure. pics #2 and 3 dont really look suspicious. I've never seen the heel taper like that in pic #1, but that doesnt mean they're fake. Could be factory 2nds. There is a DM factory shop in Northampton that sells rejects, and yours could have come from there. tbh, I would just wear them and not worry about if they were fake, i doubt you paid much for them, so just wear it till it falls apart or replace with something else down the road

nothing to lose sleep over

Yeah, never thought about them being seconds, probably all it is. They seem to be made on the exact same last as normal DM gibsons, not like misshapen or anything. And $35 isn't too much in my opinion. [​IMG]

6. Man-of-Mystery

Just curious M-o-M, with all the undeniable racism back in the 60s did it ever get to the point where some Skinheads started to disassociate themselves with Reggae or them to state that they're "Pro-White"?

No, Reggae remained popular.

There was one obvious attempt to "create" skinhead music, but that had nothing to do with any drive for "whiteness". Of course I'm talking about Slade. I actually met these guys twice - once before they adopted a skinhead look when they were still known as "Ambrose Slade", and once when they had just adopted the look. I'm not trying to make myself out to be any kind of style guru, but I remember telling them where they had got the style "wrong"...
    [​IMG]
    ... for example, Noddy old mate, never wear a cheapskin, always wear a sheepskin! Shortly after that the skinhead movement died down and Slade went glam.

M-o-M

7. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

... the black fellas werent generally allowed into clubs unless they came with whites who were their friends, as if you were vouched for...

I'm interested in this. How could that happen when music in clubs was played by black people? Or were there also different kinds of clubs except those with reggae, ska and rocksteady music?

8. Man-of-Mystery

I'm interested in this. How could that happen when music in clubs was played by black people?

Nobody said it made sense.

9. C3PLOS

C3PLOS Active Member

There was one obvious attempt to "create" skinhead music, but that had nothing to do with any drive for "whiteness". Of course I'm talking about Slade. I actually met these guys twice - once before they adopted a skinhead look when they were still known as "Ambrose Slade", and once when they had just adopted the look. I'm not trying to make myself out to be any kind of style guru, but I remember telling them where they had got the style "wrong"...
    [​IMG]
    ... for example, Noddy old mate, never wear a cheapskin, always wear a sheepskin! Shortly after that the skinhead movement died down and Slade went glam.

M-o-M

I always thought the skinhead/glam connection was interesting but never quite got it. I remember moving to the Bay Area and meeting skinheads who were into glam (music, not the style).
    Ambrose Slade started out as a Moddish band called the N'Betweens and I remember they had a pretty good song on some old psyche comp I had years back. Can't remember the name of the song though.

-C

10. Man-of-Mystery

Ambrose Slade started out as a Moddish band called the N'Betweens and I remember they had a pretty good song on some old psyche comp I had years back. Can't remember the name of the song though.

-C

"You Better Run"?

Be very afraid:
    [​IMG]

11. C3PLOS

C3PLOS Active Member

"You Better Run"?

Be very afraid:
    [​IMG]

It was driving me crazy so had to search online for that comp, but I found it! It was "Delighted To See You" on the 'Psychedelia at Abbey Road' compilation. A pretty good CD, overall, if you're into that sound.

-C

12. Man-of-Mystery

It was driving me crazy so had to search online for that comp, but I found it! It was "Delighted To See You" on the 'Psychedelia at Abbey Road' compilation. A pretty good CD, overall, if you're into that sound.

-C

I guess we couldn't get more off-topic if we tried! [​IMG]

13. OHT

OHT Senior member

[​IMG]

M-o-M

Another thing I'm a bit confused about: The Short Cropped Hair. I'm told(and always thought) it was to state Anti-hippies and their values. I also heard that it was in reference to black hair or some ppl say mods already had short cropped hair. What was the real origin?

14. Man-of-Mystery

Another thing I'm a bit confused about: The Short Cropped Hair. I'm told(and always thought) it was to state Anti-hippies and their values. I also heard that it was in reference to black hair or some ppl say mods already had short cropped hair. What was the real origin?

It had nothing to do with reaction to the hippies. The later mods' hair was quite short before the hippie movement took hold in the UK, and the term "skinhead" was first used as an insult against hard mods in 1967/1968. And yes, the mods' short hairstyle was influenced to some extent by black American soul and Tamla artists, along with their sharp suits.

Artists such as Otis Redding...
    [​IMG]

... The Four Tops...
    [​IMG]

... and The Impressions...
    [​IMG]

... were influential. Check out the guy on the right in the dark jacket in that last picture - he even has a razored-in parting, which became de rigeur for skinheads.

M-o-M

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

nice little story about Slade MoM

the other name that was used to refer to skinheads in 60s was spy kids, taken from them being called "spikeheads" but heard and interpreted wrongly as "spy kids"