Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. War Beast

War Beast Member

ha agreed again. I thought I would find myself having a hard time getting along with you guys but you seem to have some of the same thoughts that I do on politics (not completely of course [​IMG])

I wish I could walk into a place with my jeans docked, boots shined, and head cropped without getting judged, unfortunately it doesn't happen like that and I feel myself more often than not having to make sure I keep anything Skin related on the DL around jobsites.

2. moonhop70

moonhop70 Member

Greetings Folks:

Not sure how I discovered this place, but it's by far the longest-spanning thread on traditional skinheads I've ever seen—with some really insightful conversations on its origins and contemporaries. So I just had to hop on board.

Quick intro: I hail from the City of Lost Angels, started as a mod in '85 then went skin in '87, with full-tilt tunnel vision (or shall we say, hearing) of nothing but ska, rocksteady and reggae. Though I hung up the boots more or less through the '90s, I've come to somewhat of a renaissance lately and the boots are back on again…and boy do they feel great.

This is the first time I've ever seen such in-depth discussion on trad skinheads (aside from the Pama forum, from what I hear), especially cross-pond at that (sup, Get Smart…we've probably been to the same places and seen the same faces). It's interesting to see the perspective from those that were around back in '69, and those like my crew and I who could only wish they were. Nevertheless, we dug what we dug…and still dig it today.

Nice to meet you all and hope to continue the conversation. Cheers.

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Bloody right Roy,loved the Cords.Got my eye on some Medium Brown Cords now(lLevis 505).

Maybe you American Guys can help me:-
    Do the larger sized Levi 505s(W38/40) come with 7 Belt Loops? I have been told they do ,but.....

4. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Moonhop, welcome to the site. Yea, if you've gone to shows at Reseda Country Club, Fenders Ballroom etc then we've def been in the same place at same time back in the 80s.

Colin, I dont know how many loops size 38 505s have, but if you arent in a hurry for the info I can check next time I'm out and see if they have em

5. Big Muscle

Big Muscle Senior member

I have seen more belt loops mostly on orange tab 505s but after checking eBay it seems that also red tab 505s W38 has 7 belt loops.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Welcome Moonhop,

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Not sure when they stopped making English made steel toes, but it's been a long time. I had an 8i oxblood pair I wore up thru the later 90s that were gotten around '91 or 2 and those things held up amazing, never fell apart and ended up giving to a mate who wanted to wear em after I'd had em for years. Personally I'd rather see DM sell all of their boots 20-30% more expensive but keep all production in UK rather than outsource to fucking China. But the world is too brainwashed into getting things cheap/disposable. :(

8. War Beast

War Beast Member

EXACTLY, and I WISH that they were selling them for only 20-30% more expensive. If you try to buy a UK made pair from the Vintage line off of their website you can expect to get bent over a table while they rape 2x the cost of the china land made boots out of you.

The first pair of boots I bought were 10 eye Black Docs (Made in China) but I didn't know any better at the time since I was 16..

I've since bought a pair of 14 eye Rubbed Burgundy Grinders that I was under the impression were Made in England, when I opened the box it said "Designed" in England [​IMG]

I also have a pair of 10 eye oxblood Aryan Wear Panzer boots (please don't bring up the politics) then the company that sells them was found out to be getting them from Asia as well.

So besides my ebay Docs I just cant seem to win here. lol Either they are over priced and legit, or worded goofy to trick you into getting china land CRAP.

And I apologize in advance about how long it takes for my posts to show because I'm still on moderation as a new user.

-WB-

9. Slack or Death

Slack or Death Member

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking this thread for a whole good month or so, I've always been into the whole skin culture, and I'm from LA too, just like Get Smart and Moonhop,
    seems like there's a lot of Skins like us here in LA than I'd have expected.

I'm happy to check up on this thread nearly everyday, it's so thorough, and gives me a lot of inspiration for what to wear on a day-to-day basis. I consider the Skin look as a really smart look nowadays, especially in LA where people wear sandals and jeans all the time, a freshly polished pair of DM's, some clean denim and a Button Down with a short haircut looks a lot sharper than what I usually see.

10. moonhop70

moonhop70 Member

Nice meetin' ya, Slack. I'm over on the Westside, and I've been seeing a lot more peg-legged slim-fit trousers, check shirts (even Ben Shermans and Fred Perrys at that) and v-neck sweaters in the past year or two than I ever have since the scene…and these people aren't even in the scene, it just happens to be the "in thing" right now I suppose. I had this discussion in another forum, and one of the explanations was that people like us that were in the '80s scene have since become art directors, designers and such, so our influence is showing through once more, in mainstream fashion.

Kinda strange; ever since I brought back out the #4 guard and donned my docs, it's the weirdest thing to be surrounded by all the most fabulous threads at my fingertips that I would have killed for 25 years ago, but seeing how ridiculously expensive they are now is indeed a tragedy.

Anyways. I didn't comb through the past 250+ pages for any convo on Adidas "trainers," but have these ever been discussed? From my best recollection, my cousin and I first saw "trainers" in Nick Knight's book in the '80s (and the skinhead wearing them was doing some kicking), and after finding them rampant in the Valley scene (everyone had them in '86-'87) we realized out here the modern version were the Adidas Sambas. They were, at least, the best match we could find, and after finally finding them at a Soccer store, became the only sneakers that we'd put on.

As far as I could tell, the Sambas were, and continue to be, standard issue sneakers not only for skins, but mods and rudies as well out here in the U.S.. But were these the same "trainers" that our English predecessors and/or counterparts wore? Something tells me they weren't, but does anyone know for sure?

Funny thing is (and I know all you '80s scenesters can relate), there was a period of time when Adidas redesigned their Sambas to have this huge tongue which totally ruined its aesthetic (IMHO), and the original version was next to impossible to find unless someone had leftover old stock. Then they brought them back, but without the adidas logo on the rear. Now they've brought back a version almost identical to what I remember wearing in the '80s, including the adidas logo on the rear (awesome!) and a trimmed tongue.

11. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Would have to agree GS. I had mostly MIE docs in the late 80's and early 90's.
    The 3 pairs of DM's I bought New, mid to late 90's were made in Portugal. And to be fair they were pretty spot on.
    A pair of cherry red shoes I had for 10 years were made in Portugal, Only threw them out because i'd worn down the sole at the heels.

A few months ago I bought a pair of NEW Black 8i DM's. They are a very poor fit, Feel far TOO roomy. A real baggy fit.
    You have to pull the laces and eyelets that tight to get a snug fit, they nearly over lap! Made in Thailand.
    I was just trying to save a few bucks, false economy tho. Should have paid the extra.

Welcome new members! I'm new myself.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

12. Slack or Death

Slack or Death Member

Great to meet you too!
    I'm from the San Gabriel valley area, so I guess we're not really that fashion forward as the westside, with some exceptions of course. The prices of Ben Sherman and Fred Perry nowadays just makes me cringe, it's so strange that for a working class lifestyle, the shirts cost around 80-90 bucks! I guess the benefit of this is that when I do wear the whole getup ( Button Down + Sta-Prest + Braces + Boots ) people won't think so much "nazi skin" but "designer clothes" instead.

Also, I think the same thing too for the Adidas Samba, the new redesign with the short tongue looks much, much better.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

13. Slack or Death

Slack or Death Member

Sorta missed your post earlier, but I share the same sentiment against China-made docs. Not so much that they're Made in China, but that they're really just horribly made.

I'm in love with my pair of For-Life 1460's. The leather is extremely supple, they're wonderfully well made, and they're only 150 with a lifetime guarantee. Only drawback for you is probably that they're Thai made. I haven't tried or seen the newer MIE's, so I can't really compare these to them.

14. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Thanks Get Smart,appreciate it.
    Also thanks Big Muscle-that is where the Query comes from.

Moonhop,welcome! :)

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

welcome slack

it's true that the skin look has been appropriated into the mainstream, i see a lot of "fashionistas" wearing skinny skinhead braces, and you can get them now at places like American Apparel (!!!)

of course when you hear the originals talking about the style, in their day it WAS mainstream and normal for kids to look this way. Too bad it's only the outward appearance that has taken root today and none of the substance that I know most skinheads having grown up with (pride in traditional values etc)