Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Love this one too, from 1969. Great artwork, if a little Beatles inspired.

[​IMG]

2. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

Finally finished reading the whole thread and realized that I have always dressed somewhat skinheadish. Sort of neo-skin...
    I always rocked 1-3 crop cut, wore black or red DMs, rolled jeans, flight and similar jackets but belts and not suspenders. Oh, music of choice is punk and reggae. Was I a skin without even realizing it?

3. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

If all rockabilly girls looked like Imelda May id go to some Rockabilly dos.

4. chickNcoop

chickNcoop Active Member

What about Angelic Upstarts? They're always referenced as evidence that all skinheads at that time didn't have right wing leanings, I've always suspected that this was revisionist history. Any insight?

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

These were a Style of Sta-Prest that were not worn by Skinheads.Look more Kings Road than Kilburn etc.

6. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Dead right Colin, Never saw that style of Levi Staprest worn by any Skinheads.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

if you've ever read the infamous early interview with Mensi (from 79 or 80?), you'd see that the Upstarts were hardly the commie/leftwing band that they have been for the past 20+ years.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

huh, I never knew you guys differentiated between types of staprest. I think someone recently posted the cloth was more like a gabardine cloth, rather than the usual hard cotton/poly blend?

You've got me curious, what exactly is it about those staprest in the ad that werent "correct"?

9. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

no you were not a skinhead.

10. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

I of course never really had the mindset. OK... I just don't know how to explain... question just came out wrong.

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Jason the only one's we wore was the Cotton/Poly blend, Never saw the jean style Staprest back then, I was also curious going into Stuarts cloths store here in West London a couple of weeks ago they stock the jean style Staprest, when i asked him about the original StaPrest he never had a clue.

Maybe its a American thing as even today over here I have not seen Skinheads wearing the jean style Staprest.

The other thing some present day Skinheads wear Farah staprest which was never worn back in the 60s.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

12. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Excellent thread here ladies and gents, it's a great read!
    I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. I'm an older skin(36) from Boston--- well not as old as summa you fellas(no disrespect). I've been sartorially-inclined since I was a kid, skinhead since I was 15 in 1990, got into it of course through other skinheads... and not the internet. For the last seven to eight years my style leanings have been dabbling a bit more towards "casual", with of course the full realization that casual/dresser doesn't really translate here Stateside. I dig a lot of the casual labels(or at least some of the styles they produce) and the quality of their kit. I believe I'm probably stuck in a Casual rut in a lifetime of skinhead-ism, if you catch my drift. I've always loved the skinhead style and still wear a Baracuta, jeans, and brogues or desert boots(yeah, straddling the line here), but mix it up with a C.P. Company Mille Miglia or a well-made 60/40 parka. The skinhead aesthetic-- I still dig it. The homogenized, caricaturized, cookie-cutter skin look, you can chuck that in the old bin. I'm well into rare soul, '70s rock and roll(just saw Ian Hunter the other day... age 72 and still an amazing singer/performer!), Punk and Oi!, Aussie rock like AC/DC and Rose Tattoo, and of course the American stuff like Hardcore and early rock and roll.
    It's good to see some of the original set still keeping it sharp and interested in style.

J(Get Smart), you still doing bespoke suiting? Long time no speak.

-Matt

13. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Levi Cords, The other week i was at the London Skinhead reunion, some 80s Skinhead thought it was amusing i was wearing cords, he never seen a Skinhead wearing them before, I had to point out that original Skinheads wore Levi Cords, I had most colours at the time, Ice Blue, Grey, Beige.

This is the said Cords, Made by Samurai Japan, On Original Levi Specs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

14. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Nowt wrong with cords, big fan here.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

the Levis repro staprest I wear are not the jean style....I had always thought they were "off" in that regard (not being jean style), but perhaps it turns out they are more "correct" than I thought.

Matt! what's up man, yea long time no talk. nice to see you on this board. and yep. still doing Thick as Thieves, going well.

:slayer: