• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Great photo mate
smile.gif

Thanks! Here's me in 1973. Nice knitted polo, but i've been dressed in a lovley pair of tights. It never affected me (honest ha ha)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! Here's me in 1973. Nice knitted polo, but i've been dressed in a lovley pair of tights. It never affected me (honest ha ha)
:D:D Good Photo Mate.I will not put any of mine up(as a Baby-if I can find them).The Staff at the Nursing Home had a bit of a problem-and dressed me in Dresses.I ask you !!! Maybe that is why I am like I am today 1:slayer:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now it has gone quiet.Probably the picture of me in Dresses(when I was young),was too much to imagine!!!!:D

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

My late Uncle was a skinhead 69-72ish, before he went onto full Glam.
He was always seen in his beloved cricket jumpers, cable knit style with trim to v neck (white)
The old 'cricket jumper' doesn't seem to crop up that often on skinhead related forums/chat.
I know there are regional variations on what was, and wasn't worn.

Were they worn during the original skinhead era, or was my uncle doing his own thing?

I've bought a couple of cricket jumpers over the years (Slazenger) Can't seem to get them to work for me, always seem too long in the body.
Look good under a levi/Lee trucker jacket tho.
I love cricket jumpers too. def more of a "mod" item, but i always thought they looked real smart. and yes I agree they look best under a denim jacket only because it covers a lot of the contrast trim, and it just looks real nice when you see a small bit of the contrast trim poking out under the jacket.

child of 67

Reaction score
Quote:
I love cricket jumpers too. def more of a "mod" item, but i always thought they looked real smart. and yes I agree they look best under a denim jacket only because it covers a lot of the contrast trim, and it just looks real nice when you see a small bit of the contrast trim poking out under the jacket.

Maybe more for UK people- Jack Russel clothing have a sale on cricket jumpers at the moment. They do a short sleeve navy blue one with red/white trim for 49 GBP or long sleeve in white white with re/blue trim; or navy blue with same trim as the short slelve for 59 GBP. They're in a heavy weight cotton. Ther's a store in the town where I live so I've seen them "in the flesh" and tried them on, the sizing is quite generous and that "V" is very deep as befits the style....not sure if it's "me" but the quality seems pretty good. On these there's no annoying external branding.
http://www.jackrussellclothing.com/casualwear/the_eden_cable_jumper/jr275.aspx
Best
R

child of 67

Reaction score
just read my post back to my self- must be going gaga, they do a long sleeve one or a tanktop version, short sleeve my a***....too much vino of an evening...
Ron

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
just read my post back to my self- must be going gaga, they do a long sleeve one or a tanktop version, short sleeve my a***....too much vino of an evening...
Ron

Ron - They are nice. Good find. they don't look too long in the body either.
I'm Selling some gear on e-bay at the moment, if I make enough I may well purchase the white one.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has some nice tanktops this fall, and priced well, esp since they have their occasional 25% off 3 day sales which I picked these 2 up, about 50 quid each ($75 approx on sale), both lambswool

fair isle

cricket

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brooks Brothers has some nice tanktops this fall, and priced well, esp since they have their occasional 25% off 3 day sales which I picked these 2 up, about 50 quid each ($75 approx on sale), both lambswool
fair isle

Yes but they are not a skinhead item.

Fairisle became popular when skinhead was on its way out around 74 ish. They went with wide lapel jackets.

Sleeveless jumpers were not called tank tops until the days of Slade. They were called slipovers.

Cricket sweaters were never skinhead either. Simple plain colours were what was worn.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Yes but they are not a skinhead item.
Fairisle became popular when skinhead was on its way out around 74 ish. They went with wide lapel jackets.
Sleeveless jumpers were not called tank tops until the days of Slade. They were called slipovers.
Cricket sweaters were never skinhead either. Simple plain colours were what was worn.

cricket sweaters def not skinhead, but I dont really care about that as I like them. Brought that up since Mr SoundsnPressure had talked about em

I'm pretty sure there's a photo taken around 70 at a club where a guy is wearing a fairisle vest. i use the term tanktop only because it;s what you Brits seem to call it, for us those are sweater vests. a tanktop is a sleeveless under tshirt. but one man's bandaid is another man's plaster (got very funny looks in London when my wife was asking for bandaids and no one knew what the hell she was on about). Regardless, the fairisle vest has definitely worked its way into being an accepted part of the current skinhead wardrobe, even if the specific era it's from may not be completely authentic.

Last edited:

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Both items are Skinhead items in my book.
They may not be vintage trad skinhead wear 68-72 etc, agreed.
But I like to mix my wardrobe with items I like from all the skinhead era's. Even late 70's revival (Not Oi! tho)

I think it would take great discipline to ONLY wear original late 60's skinhead items these days. Fair play and respect to anybody that does tho.
Depends how you look at it I suppose, and what you want out of it. Check shirts weren't wore at the start of the movement for example.
Was it just plain shirts and vertical stripes at first?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads