Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bunty

bunty Senior member

Great photo mate :)

2. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Thanks! Here's me in 1973. Nice knitted polo,[​IMG] but i've been dressed in a lovley pair of tights. It never affected me (honest ha ha)

3. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

:D:D Good Photo Mate.I will not put any of mine up(as a Baby-if I can find them).The Staff at the Nursing Home had a bit of a problem-and dressed me in Dresses.I ask you !!! Maybe that is why I am like I am today 1:slayer:

4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Now it has gone quiet.Probably the picture of me in Dresses(when I was young),was too much to imagine!!!!:D

5. soundsnpressure

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

should have stopped at the photo of yer ma/pa :)

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I love cricket jumpers too. def more of a "mod" item, but i always thought they looked real smart. and yes I agree they look best under a denim jacket only because it covers a lot of the contrast trim, and it just looks real nice when you see a small bit of the contrast trim poking out under the jacket.

8. child of 67

child of 67 Member

Quote:
    Maybe more for UK people- Jack Russel clothing have a sale on cricket jumpers at the moment. They do a short sleeve navy blue one with red/white trim for 49 GBP or long sleeve in white white with re/blue trim; or navy blue with same trim as the short slelve for 59 GBP. They're in a heavy weight cotton. Ther's a store in the town where I live so I've seen them "in the flesh" and tried them on, the sizing is quite generous and that "V" is very deep as befits the style....not sure if it's "me" but the quality seems pretty good. On these there's no annoying external branding.
    http://www.jackrussellclothing.com/casualwear/the_eden_cable_jumper/jr275.aspx
    Best
    R

9. child of 67

child of 67 Member

just read my post back to my self- must be going gaga, they do a long sleeve one or a tanktop version, short sleeve my a***....too much vino of an evening...
    Ron

10. bunty

bunty Senior member

I'm sorry Brownie - I missed that. Thanks mate :)

11. soundsnpressure

Ron - They are nice. Good find. they don't look too long in the body either.
    I'm Selling some gear on e-bay at the moment, if I make enough I may well purchase the white one.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Glad you missed the other things,bunty!:D:D

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Brooks Brothers has some nice tanktops this fall, and priced well, esp since they have their occasional 25% off 3 day sales which I picked these 2 up, about 50 quid each ($75 approx on sale), both lambswool

fair isle
    [​IMG]

cricket
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Yes but they are not a skinhead item.

Fairisle became popular when skinhead was on its way out around 74 ish. They went with wide lapel jackets.

Sleeveless jumpers were not called tank tops until the days of Slade. They were called slipovers.

Cricket sweaters were never skinhead either. Simple plain colours were what was worn.

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

cricket sweaters def not skinhead, but I dont really care about that as I like them. Brought that up since Mr SoundsnPressure had talked about em

I'm pretty sure there's a photo taken around 70 at a club where a guy is wearing a fairisle vest. i use the term tanktop only because it;s what you Brits seem to call it, for us those are sweater vests. a tanktop is a sleeveless under tshirt. but one man's bandaid is another man's plaster (got very funny looks in London when my wife was asking for bandaids and no one knew what the hell she was on about). Regardless, the fairisle vest has definitely worked its way into being an accepted part of the current skinhead wardrobe, even if the specific era it's from may not be completely authentic.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011