• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

sambarock

Reaction score

^^^ I personally I have nothing against double breast suits, but I've never thought of them as remotely "skinhead", if that is a concern. I've seen mods wear DB, but it's generally in a 4x2, 6x3 or 8x4 button stance, not the typical business-wear 6x2 as your example. A notch lapel DB (like that black fleece example) is also not the norm, as DBs are traditionally peak lapel, but IMO that is one rule that can look ok to break if done right.
the only double breast coats I've ever seen skinheads wearing is a peacoat.

Thanks Jason,

I know db is very unusual, it's only because I have seen this video (that I'm assuming is from somewhere around 1970) and I have read somewhere that was worn by some early suedeheads (I really need to find this article).
I just like it because gives a certain look that is hard to archive with single breasted suits.
This Black Fleece example looks to me a interesting compromise of the fullness of db suit with "mod" details such the thinner notch lapel and the button stance.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the only image from that era I have ever seen of someone in a double-breasted blazer. I never saw anyone 'live' wearing one, skinhead or immediately post-skinhead. I think that's the guy's individual style we're looking at.

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Double breasted suit is a complete No No for a Skinhead.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That has always made me wonder,when I saw the D/B Blazers.For the life of me I cannot remember seeing them until later in the 70s.I had a Blazer in `71/`72 but it was Single Breasted,from Harry Fentons.D/B Suits are now being worn as Mod-but again I can only remember these in the mid 60s(the only ones worn earlier were by the Krays etc.).Might be wrong!:)

bunty

Reaction score

Caption says 'Steve McQueen1968/69', looks great on him - I'd look like Rodney Trotter in it though :) Not 'skinhead' but very smart eh?

harrysgame

Reaction score
The fella in the video is wearing a Doble Breasted Blazer not a suit. Like has been stated this was quite unusual. It looks fine on the fella, but its not something id personally wear. I sometimes wear a black single three button blazer, wore it last night actually. And they can look quite smart.

Id stear clear of DB suits and blazers, but thats just me.

sambarock

Reaction score
Thank you for all the feedback.
It really helps to have objective perspectives on the matter.
I guess this bd jacket (not a suit as noted) was indeed an unusual style.
Maybe what I've read before was talking about mods and not suedeheads... But still I think it's nice to have some alternatives to 3 (or 4) button sb suits that's all.
McQueen's look on that photo it's pretty amazing. I've never seem this image before, where you did find it?

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bunty always comes up with different things.Well done Fella!

sambarock

Reaction score
I found the article that talk about db suits.
At least I know I'm not going crazy BUT I misread it. The article refers to the girl's clothing style instead.

"Girls often wore boy’s shoes, loafers mostly, crepe soled lace-ups, clumpy nurses’ style shoes with a brogue pattern or plain, and other popular high street fashions such as sling-backs both with flared heels, suede and patent-leather, buckled shoes, in bright multi-colours towards the end.
Geometric patterned, plain and side patterned tights were popular with miniskirts (again preferably mohair or failing that the cheaper Trevira, styles – plain A-line, pleated often tartan checks etc, lots of buttons). Same shirts as the boys, off-the-peg suit jackets of varying lengths, although 3/4 length just above the knee was very popular in 2-tone fabric, PoW checks, double breasted also."

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/suedeheads

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was watching "Goks Roadshow" on Channel 4,last night,and something that he was wearing reminded me of Spring`68.He had a Polo Short on with Trousers that were similar to Jungle Greens(but not)if you know what I mean.On his Feet were white White Canvas Shoes.A definite"Throwback" to those days.
I have always considered `68 as the last year of "Freedom Of Choice",before the two sides of "Skinhead" came together-later in the year-and became "Regimented".In the Spring of `68,I would wear a Fred Perry(white with blue and black stripes),Jungle Greens and Dunlop "Green Flash"Gym Shoes.I had discovered a Shop in Walthamstow (long gone) where I could buy heavier Cotton Trousers,in many colours(I had a pair of Light Grey ,Burgundy and Mid Blue).These were baggier than the later Sta Prest or Jeans-but rolled up they looked good with Boots or left down with Monkey Boots.Also worn with these Trousers were white T-Shirts with various coloured Slipovers(these were also worn with the Greens.Good Days!!!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found the article that talk about db suits.
At least I know I'm not going crazy BUT I misread it. The article refers to the girl's clothing style instead.
"Girls often wore boy’s shoes, loafers mostly, crepe soled lace-ups, clumpy nurses’ style shoes with a brogue pattern or plain, and other popular high street fashions such as sling-backs both with flared heels, suede and patent-leather, buckled shoes, in bright multi-colours towards the end.
Geometric patterned, plain and side patterned tights were popular with miniskirts (again preferably mohair or failing that the cheaper Trevira, styles – plain A-line, pleated often tartan checks etc, lots of buttons). Same shirts as the boys, off-the-peg suit jackets of varying lengths, although 3/4 length just above the knee was very popular in 2-tone fabric, PoW checks, double breasted also."
http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/suedeheads

Yes but that was girls' suits. not boys. Girls' styles were a lot more varied as I think I mentioned before. I have seen double-breasted, single-brested, babydoll, bolero, Jackie Kennedy, you name it.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something of a Conversation I was having with someone the other day,about Marc Bolan.I said I was on nodding terms with him back in the 60s.What has this got to do with Skinhead,I hear you say.Well....
1967,I was sent to a place called Leatherhead in Surrey.I worked for the British Shoe Corporation then,and one of the things they did was send you away to train as a Manager-digs were found and you stayed there whilst being taught by a very experienced Manager.While I was there,I got to know a few Mods.One especially called Gerry.He was slightly older than me but very smart.He started my Education off and later it was finixhed by Roy(near Warren Street).At the time Scooters had made a comeback,and Gerry had a Vespa SS.He had a No.4 Spikey Cut(with Parting cut-in),the rest of his Mates had the same.It was here that I got my No.4 done.Short on top,longer down the sides.We would call ourselves "Hedgehogs".During the Lunchbreaks we would visit a Club called the "Bluesette" in Bridge Streett - for Coffee and a chat to the Girls.
The "Bluesette" was owned by a Group called "Johns Children" in which they had a Singer/Songwriter called Marc Bolan.In the very early 60s Mark Bolan/Mark Feltz had featured-with his Mates-in a London Mag.,showing off their Clothes(considered part of the first Mods-even though some of what Marc was wearing was borrowed).Some Lunchtimes we would go in there and listen to "Johns Children" practise their Songs.We heard a few before they came out on Record.Marc would always acknowledged us,some of the others did-to a lesser extent.One thing that was never told was when the Group posed outside the Club,with Greasers.Waitng down the Alleyway was a mob of Mods waiting to pounce on them(which they did).Never seen Greasers move so quick!!! :)

Bullitt

Reaction score
You were actually looking for this:
http://www.jumpthegun.co.uk/product/Fred_Perry_K7101_V_Neck_Jumper

Lyle & Scott is a traditional Scottish company. The brand is popular here in the UK, mainly with teenagers. They have some interesting stuff, especially in their heritage line. The quality is on a par with Fred Perry Made in England. The yellow eagle logo looks a bit tacky though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads