Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Sounds v nice Rob.
    What about the front placket (Part with the button holes) is that on a bias or straight like the M.Rude ones?

2. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

3. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

4. child of 67

child of 67 Member

Hi Soundsnpressure (Russ?)
    The placket on that DNA BD I mentioned matches the main check, as does the back pleat. It's in a lightweight cotton, similar to an Egyptian cotton in feel.
    Rob

5. fujione

fujione New Member

Wow, this must some of the most amazing reading I have done since I learned to read :eek:. So much info and tidbits of stuff going on "back in the days" that I had no idea about. I had to register here after reading this thread(took me 2 days ^^). Endless cred to all of you "Traditionals" that have made this thread absolutly golden.

I have some question(some which may seem stupid I guess), but I guess I can start by making a short intro about me since it seems I know so much about some of u from this thread alone lol.

The reason some of my inquires might be "silly" is that I am currently only 23 years old living in Sweden, the fook do I know about skinhead fashion or the like you might ask. Well not as much as I thought after going through all this stuff :p. Anyway, seeing as I was unfortunate to not being born when the first era of the skinheads came around and I was just a little toddler when the revival first hit I came "into it" on totally different ways.

It started when I was younger my dad had a mate from work who was afaik part of the revival wave of skinheads, and I used to talk alot with when I was younger and got real interested after a while. Anyway, I have always been quite a bit of an anglophile. I always prefered English tv shows(I still LOVE to watch older Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie bits along with Monthy Python, Fawlty Towers and Blackadder :D) over american ones, even tho our country has been VERY inluenced by Hollywood and American TV over the years. I love English food and I get along with the people "over there" just about always. I even remember in like second or third class in school I got a golden star on an english test because I used some english words I learned of watching BBC(Thank you BBC!). Anyhow, as I went into being a teenager, which isnt THAT long ago lol I had a period were I got into the whole skinhead thing ever so briefly. Thing was that during that period our country had a though period of racism and shit, similar to Blood and Honour and there was a very vocal minorty that got very national and very violent and as usual the media was all over it. Seeing as I lived in a predominantly foreign part of my city my dad simply "banned" me from looking like a skinhead of fear that I would get beaten to death. I still kept parts of the "style" as I saw it, I wore my Harrington and I had some polos etc.

Anyhow, a year or so later I got into the whole casual culture. Being a major fotball fan and a West Ham supporter I guess it wasnt too far away since those were the years hooliganism really set foot here. So I kept my Shermans and my Perrys and just went on to being a casual instead. I still listened to the Ska and the Oi! tho. Anyhow, almost 3 years ago me and my mrs got our daughter and being a young parent alot of people are gonna look at you a certain way so I started to get the urge to dress smarter, dont get me wrong casual wear can look smart too but I got the feeling I want to dress and act like a proper parents. And so I started to think why the hell didnt I just keep doing the skin thing and couldnt really remember why, so here I am now 3 years later and I have started to build up my wardrobe ^^

This prolly doesnt mean anything coming from someone my age, but something I really always respected with the traditionals is that you really knew how to look smart! And as much as I hate that I am born too late I try to do my part to pay tribute ^^. The one thing I might be able to identify with(as can any person that has past being 15 years old I reckon) is the whole "wanna be part of a culture or movement" thing. I mean I never 'liked' to fight as the matches, but I did it because that what we did and looking the part was very much a big thing as it seems it was for you?

Ahh well, thats some backround for you! Now on to my possibly silly questions;

What part of the "skinhead wardrobe" or what item is one you never would wanna be without? Also what item did you never really like?

How do you traditionals look at the revival? Is it more of a "Ohh how fun that something I grew up with has in a from come back" or is it more of "My god are those tossers doing it wrong"? Also do you consider them two very different things? Personally I really like alot of the stuff worn originally but I equally like some of the revival fashion if u like.

Do you think there can be a third wave of skinheads coming soon? Im thinking due to stuff like This is England and the fact that the whole "nazi thugs" or "anti facist thugs" thing is getting outplayed.

And what do you think about todays skinhead scene? Apart from the likes of yourselves I mean. Do you look at younger skins like myself and think "what the fook"? :p

Lastly I was thinking of buying my first pair of Brogues, I have just worn boots up 'till now whenever I wasnt in my casual sneakers. Some I've been looking at is;

1. http://images1.brandos.se/sv/2/29345/29345-g.jpg

and

2. http://images1.brandos.se/sv/2/28423/28423-g.jpg

are there any diff in "authenticity" or are they both way off?

And one last question;

Was also shopping for another pair of boots and saw these; http://photos5.spartoo.se/photos/484/4842/4842_350_A.jpg

Might be me being inexperienced but it says that the material is simply "leather" but they look different, more rough. Anyone have experience with this? I think they look more like standard CAT boots?

Thanks in advance if anyone cares to answer the questions of a "new" guy :D

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ dont like those boots. The one thing skinheads always pride themselves on are a well shined pair of boots and those arent meant to ever take a shine since it's that distressed leather.

as for brogues these have, in general the right style (being a longwing brogue), but to me they look really cheap and nasty. even in photos the leather comes across as plastic-y, i'd recommend saving up for a better pair rather than throwing away money on these
    [​IMG]

7. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Equal portions of both, I guess! :D

What wouldn't I be without? A decent, white Ben Sherman.

8. fujione

fujione New Member

Yeah thats what I figured about the boots, was just curious about the actual material. Leaning towards a pair of oxblood Solovairs atm either way =). Got any tips for brogues that are not the most expensive then that ships worldwide? :D

MoM; Happy to hear it's not all negative thoughts anyway ^^

9. Jean-Jacques

Jean-Jacques Member

The first pair look like working shoes for a security agent or something, the second ones a little better but still look cheap. If you want some nice "skinhead-styled" brogues, get some american brogues, not too pointy, some Royals by Loake for example, the most classical. :) Besides, if you wear your trousers in the traditionnal way, that is not lower than the ankle, there's no way to hide a cheap or unfashionable shoe. I have a pair of the suede boots you're talking about, only a little lighter. Indeed it's not very traditionnal, and even if I like them I mainly wear them casual. As Get Smart said, nothing's better for a skin then a well-shined pair of boots. Maybe they can be incorporated to a certain style, like maybe with a sheepskin in the same shade, still risky in my opinion.

10. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Skinhead clothing i have always hated but was more of a revival thing is Bleached Jeans. Yes they were worn very briefly in the early years. But they took off in the late 70s early 80s in a big way. An i have always hated them. Also dislike braces being worn around the backside. They should be worn on the shoulders or not at all.

As for things i wouldn't want to be without. a Crombie Overcoat. Decent Brogues.

As for the revival, well as i was a teenager during the revival i doubt if i would have ever have become a Skinhead if the revival didn't happen as that was my time really. Although i always appreciated the style much earlier during the original years. During the revival years i suppose we all had some fashion disasters and at times looked really scruffy. But the majority of Skinheads who were then and are still skinheads now dress really smart. They might not all have it bang on, but definatly a lean to the earlier look.

As for the shoes id give them a miss. Like Jason said. They look plastic and cheap. Save up for a nice pair of Loakes which are good quality, look good and are still a reasonable price at about £80.00.
    The boots are wax covered and will never shine up. Go for a proper pair of leather Doc Martens with shiny leather so you can achieve a nice patena.

11. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Best to wait and get the proper looking Brogues.Loakes are ok.Mine are Allen Edmunds Macneil but Florshiems(I think that is how you spell it).Try Alfred Sargents` Catalogue,could find somthing interesting there!:)

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

like-wise for me. Something about wearing brogues and crombie makes one walk with more purpose.

13. fujione

fujione New Member

Yeah hence why I was asking, don't wanna risk getting a cheap pair. Was mainly pondering the model. I've been eyeing a pair of Loakes Royals actually, seems I might aswell just get 'em! =)

I hear you on the bleached part. I never ever understood why they "made it" into the look. I mean imo they look so cheap =(

Yeah might aswell ^^

I actually got a Merc Crombie style coat for a good price, and I never had one before so I really like the way they fit on one self =)

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I have just heard from Gerry Rayner who was one of the blokes on the well-known 'Piccadilly' photo. He's about to go off on his holidays but he might be able to add his memories to ours in due course.

The copyright for the photo was held by the photographer of course, who unfortunately died a few years ago. The copyright will now be held by his estate, so unless we can track down his daughters we won't be able to use it. If we can't, never mind, we'll make do with what we have.

15. child of 67

child of 67 Member

Hi soundsnpressure
    I posted a reply at the weekend but it went off to moderation quarantine as I'm a newbie on here- hasn't appeared so trying again. The placket and also the back pleat are with the check matching the main shirt not on the bias.
    Cheers
    Rob