1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior Member

Big Muscle - For that Price range, I think you'd be just as well getting a 'MERC of London' Crombie/lord John overcoat

http://www.merc.com/collection/men/Jackets-Coats/product/Lord-John-Overcoat

They appear on E-bay all the time. I see them quite often approx £50 second hand. But You can often pick them up for £100 NEW.
    I bought a Navy one in the summer for £100 new.

Has all the details and good quality.

Just don't tell anybody it's Merc ha ha.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

2. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

For some reason a traditional Crombie doesn't look right on me any more, but I do wear a dark grey, waisted overcoat in wool/cashmere/mmf mix. It has two fly pockets rather than three flap and it has no breast pocket, but it looks 'clean'. I don't pretend it's 'Skinhead' or "Mod' but I like it.

3. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior Member

I was computer-less for a long time (felt like ages, but was probably a month), but I finally bought myself a new one. They don't come cheap...
    Have some catching up to do, but it's good to see the thread is still going strong!

What type of Harrington was Elvis wearing? I mean is one with elastic cuffs and waist?
    Bunty posted an interesting story earlier complimenting your theory a bit:

But personally speaking I've tried ebay for an April issue and asked the seller if the article was included, but it wasn't (or the seller didn't take a good look).

4. browniecj

browniecj Distinguished Member

The Harrington was with knitted Cuffs and Waistband.Elvis also wore a John Smedley 3 Button Style Polo Jumper(but with a small Cable Stitch running down the front).I had a similar one,in `65 in Burnt Orange.His dress was half Rock and Roll and half Mod,including a Gaberdine Raincoat.
    If I remember correctly there was a Scooter Gang that had the Black Ace Of Spades on the back of their Jackets.Nothing to do with the Greaser Cafe.They came out of North London-but this would have been about `66ish. Years ago there was no real animosity between the Spurs and West Ham Fans.Both Teams had a very strong East End Fan Base.My Wife comes from Shoreditch/Hoxton and She and some of Her Family are Spurs,whilst on the other hand some are West Ham.My first Game of Football I saw Live,was Spurs V Fulham-at Craven Cottage(I was 11).It was only in later years it started up.West Ham have a very strong Jewish Following as well.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Dave, that article is supposedly from the February 1969 issue of Melody Maker (hence why the article wasnt in the April issue). yep Elvis wore a standard G9, in tan.

6. kitdakat

kitdakat New Member

think you are talking about Richard Frewer? he was indeed deaf and non talking and was best friends with a mitch cloono.. frewer passed away many years ago now but what i recall of him he was a rascal to say the least but a fantastic artist :D

7. bunty

bunty Senior Member

This will interest you Brownie, in the 'Mods!' book Richard Barnes, photo of The Scene club 1963, look at the graffiti behind the lad and girl cuddling......I know, I'm a sad man :happy:

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. kitdakat

kitdakat New Member

the guy in middle with mad hair and suit on is Mitchell cloono.

9. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

Nice post, glad to see your opinion on gear. By the way, do you still have that brown sheepskin in Large?

10. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Distinguished Member

Stupid question: did Dr. Martens or similar ever release their 8 hole (1460) in shell cordovan? I can't help but think a 1460 in that alde-style shell whiskey or cigar would be pretty bad ass...

11. browniecj

browniecj Distinguished Member

I remember seeing the Photo,when I purchased the Book,Bunty.The picture ,of the "Scene" always reminds me of some of the Clubs I went to.They were "Dives" but had a great atmosphere!!! :)

12. loempiavreter

loempiavreter Senior Member

Your right 8 Feb 1969 is the issue it's in by Chris Welch. Do you have it? Is it interesting?
    Welcome to the forum, your talking about this Willesden photo? http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/246843555/in/photostream/ Waterford28 (on that Flickr page) has identified them (from L-R) as: Mole,pudding,joe,mitchel,ray[Let me just drink this],jeff,roscoe,sly fry. Ray = Richard Frewer?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

13. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior Member

They are old Chelsea boys. A couple of those fellas are in a famous picture with Eccles, leader of the old Chelsea Skinheads i have.

14. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Somewhere I have a scan of it.

15. child of 67

child of 67 Member

Hi
    There are some DNA shirts with breast pockets Claudio did some of the short sleeved one Sorrento ones a while ago. I've got a red, white and blue ginham one, pocket is on the bias (diagonal to the main check)
    Cheers
    Rob