• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can't wait to see a book (fingers crossed)
Would it be predominantly fashion focused, or a more broader outlook on skinhead culture?
I've read every post on this thread. And I know, a book would be the real deal, the old skin members knowledge on here is priceless.

On a seperate note :) do sheepskins shrink in the rain. A big concern of mine at the moment.
Broader, I'd say. Sheepskins tend to spot in the rain and dry out badly. I can recall not wearing mine in rainy weather.

harrysgame

Reaction score
V-Neck wise i like the Fine Italian Merino Wool ones from M&S. they do normal V-Necks, sleeveless and cardigans. Not a fantastic range of colours but wash great.

Shirts i like DNA Groove. No chest pocket or course but Cladio can add one on if you ask him. Lovely shirts and again wash and iron really well. Also he changes his cloth regularly so he only makes a certain amount of each.
Mikkel Rude shirts i have found to be good. I only have two of them but they are great quality and fit. I have however heard some negative reports on stitching. But like i say mine are great.

Suits, well any self respecting Skinhead knows that the only real way is bespoke. George at Threadneedleman i have found to be the best and friendiest tailor out there. Of course there are others equally as good. I only have a couple of bespoke suits and would love to have more. But hey funds are not as frequent as they once were. Trousers are the same. Best to get Bespoke or at least made to measure. An off the peg suit will always look like it is off the peg. Adam of London do some nice suits. But they would never look like a bespoke or made to meausre suit.

Shoes, Years ago we all wore Frank Wright Loafers. These were and still are by most Skinheads are regarded as the best loafers out there. Unfortunatly they are no longer made by them. Loakes i suppose being the preferred choice. Long wing Brogue are made by Loakes. But other makers are preferred by some. Trickers, John White, ect ect. Each to their own but must be long wing.

Crombie style overcoats. Well the best out there is of course the covert coat made by Crombie themselves. Some get their overcoats made to measure. But Merc. John Lewis, Adam of London and Jump the Gun in Brighton do a passable Covert/Crombie style coat.

Of course there are loads more. I will leave others to add more.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Good post Harry.

Re: DNA Groove, I never thought to ask Claudio to add a chest pocket. Glad you mentioned that. I'll be cheeky from now on and demand one each time :) He's a decent bloke, I bet he wouldn't charge too much more for one.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
personally I like that Claudio doesnt put a front pocket on his shirts. I'm curious, for those of you who do, do you ask for the pocket to be cut on the bias (the way ben sherman, mikkel rude etc are done)? if so, do you also request the front shirt placket to be also cut on the bias to match? or does he just keep the shirt pocket the same as the shirt pattern?

DrBassie

Reaction score
I've never gotten a DNA shirt with a pocket but I'd rather have the pocket match the pattern. Especially on any window pane shirts. Some of those Mikkel Rude shirts with the turned pocket hurt the eyes. The BS ginghams with the turned pocket don't bother me as much.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ agree, gotta admit some of my larger MRude checks would look better with the chest pocket matching the shirt, at a bias it looks awkward as heck

bunty

Reaction score

Appy polly loggies for bunging this in mid topic - this photo of 'The Birds' is from Ronnie Wood's
autobiography, I think the date on the photo (circa 1963) is way out? 66/67 would you say? Like the geezers either side of Ronnie....:)

PxC

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this picture's from 1966 or late 65. Their hair length and style are pretty similar to what they look like in the movie "The Deadly Bees", from 66:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In new home... back online proper, Those Mikkel rude Shirts, with the the big collars, Fcuking Awful.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Welcome back Roy.

I like the turned pocket on the Mikkel Rude shirts.
Adds to the 'Loundness'. But I must admit, it doesn't work on all of them.
Here's a perfect example :-

In an ideal world I'd like 'MIKKEL RUDE' patterns on a 'DNA GROOVE' shirt (with pocket matching pattern) and all for the price of a Ben Sherman
mwink[1].gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi people

Just a quick note. I haven't been able to devote as much time as I wanted to developing the book, hence the lack of news from me. I haven't actually been neglecting it, though, and although my life is going to start getting busy again over the next few weeks I promise to dedicate more time to it. I'm working on it today, for example.

I hope soon to have some chapters ready to send to Little Queenie (Assistant Editor) and then to other members of 'The Firm' for comments.

M-o-M

PS. When I was 14 I would have given my eye teeth to look like 'The Birds' :D

captbovverboots

Reaction score
Long time reader of this thread and first time poster here! Colm from South London (Via Stoke-On-Trent, so i've got the accent, for my sins), 23 year old.
Just wanted to comment that Marks n Sparks have a cracking range of short-sleeved button-downs at the mo. Some really tasty check patterns, £15, fit well, and they make great work shirts... Now, work shirts by my definition, means it won't break the bank for me to wear em behind the bar where there's red wine and Guinness and jagermeister to be spilt!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cap you won't be alone in wearing stuff from Markies. One or two other blokes on this thread will step forward. :)

captbovverboots

Reaction score
Haha yea, I spotted Harrysgame's post about the jumpers and I'll second that notion, they're not bad at all!
They're doing it right in my opinion, a lot of their gear looks great! For the prices, you get good looking, well made garms, instead of the tat you get from a lot of other generic high street clothes shops.
One thing I am looking for is a good chunky cardy with pockets, for winter. Loot in Brighton had some nice ones, but not with pockets.
I saw these 'sangknit' cardigans on ebay, : http://tinyurl.com/3ncr54h . They look decent to me, was sangknit acceptable, back in the heyday?

Also does anyone know anything about Levi's white tab? I got a pair of sta-prest from the indoor market when I was in Shrewsbury and managed to haggle them for what, £15 or something. The bloke running the stall told me if I sold them on I could probably get upwards of £100 for them (not that I'm going to of course). I was just wondering if white tab stuff is really that rare.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads