Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. JohnnyJones

JohnnyJones New Member

Hi Russ. Remember your posts on MC & expected to see you posting here some time or another.

The PVC shoulders tend to make the jacket a bit stiff, which is irritating. On the other hand, they come quite handy when one has to survive the English rain. If they are too much of a trouble, you can still take 'em off quite easily.

Also - I think I remember you buying a pair of the Mikkel Rude Astronauts. How did they size? I must say I quite like the look of their 6i boots...

http://mikkelrude.co.uk/products/10-footwear/57-mikkel-rude-1969-boot6-eye/

2. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Hi Johnny. The MR's are great. True to size and lovely rich oxblood. The white stiching is a nice detail, but this is obviously not seen again after the first polish. Expensive but worth it IMHO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

3. soundsnpressure

I've been called some names in my time, but never 'Teddy boy'!
    A bouncer of a hotel function room said it to me last night.
    I said, 'what the F makes you think that?!?!'
    He said, it was obvious cause of the sidburns,turn-ups and jacket.

I was wearing this :- (with the jeans and boots pictured above)

[​IMG]

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Iam off line at mo, moving house, so this is by mobile,
    Will be back online friday.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011

5. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Reprising 'Slowhand' here's an interesting pic from 1968 showing him in straight jeans and loafers - still couldn't quite shake off his roots. The jacket appears to be an A-2.

[​IMG]

(Oh and if anyone is remotely interested, the axe appears to be a Gibson Les Paul. Sorry for going a bit off-topic.)

6. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Thanks. Sorry I took the last one!

In terms of fit I would say that the medium fits me well around the chest - I am about 40 - but it is pretty short in the body. The sleeves on the other hand are certainly long enough for me if not slightly too long. I am 5'9.

The Ben Nevis harrington is pretty susbstantial too. I can't compare it with a JTG but compared to a G9 it is heavier and a little shorter in the body. It's nice enough to wear but I have to say I feel more comfortable in the smoother and better finished G9. The Ben Nevis is more of a 'utility' item and has the look and feel of the old ones I used to wear back in 1969 and which came from Millets.

7. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

yes, of course that Oliver Spencer coat *IS* a fashion item, and not a functional work jacket hence the price. Combat's donkey jacket is in line with what a practical workwear coat should cost I'd say.

not keen on the camo harrington myself.

8. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

The elusive tie pin.

I know some of you chaps still sport them.

Yesterday I had some free time after a meeting in London. I was only a couple of stops away from Green Park on the tube so decided to pop down to Jermyn Street.

Overall I was not especially impressed with what I saw. It is a difficult time of year and some shops are still trying to offload Sale items like linen jackets in suspect colours.

Some, I noted had been given a makeover since my last visit – not always for the better IMO. Here is a quote from Budd’s website (yes they now have one) ‘Budd will undergo a much needed refurbishment in August 2011…..the last thing we want to do is take away from the character of Budd, however…….’ The lighting has been improved, the window is more open so you can see right into the shop and apparently the stairs are safer. All of this was brought to nothing by the fact that the shop assistant, who can now be easily seen through the windows was in shirt sleeves!

Obviously what was once the area containing the former premises of Bates and Trumper’s is now a building site!

However, all was not lost. For some time I have been looking for a tie pin and I spotted one in the window of Benson and Clegg. MOP, gold and silver options were available. I bought an MOP one for a very reasonable £17. Obviously not precious metal but I am hoping it will look the part.

9. PxC

PxC Active Member

What the hell, a week with nothing new here? Anyone please post something. I'm out of ideas but still thirsty for more stuff.

10. soundsnpressure

I agree. Too quiet.

I keep checking and nothing :(

11. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Use it or lose it guys.

It is a bit sad after all the activity of a few months back. My own attempt to generate some discussion about a stroll round St James’s was a bit tangential of course…

How about this? It could be good for the book too as an annexe.

We try to produce a kind of directory of different suppliers of the items of clothing that were and remain part of the skinhead canon. You know, the Very Best places to buy a suit, a v neck, a pair of brogues, plains, gibsons, etc, etc. Come on let's take an item each! Roy should start with suits.

12. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Interesting idea, John, but the main purpose of the book is to record 'the old days'. The annexe may well become out-of-date quickly, while the body of the book will be a fixed text, if you see what I mean, and won't ever lose its relevance as 'social history'. Part of the book having a 'sell by' date could well affect sales.

13. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Good point Paul. I have felt for some time that something like this would be a useful resource and wonder how else it might be achieved?

14. buttons

buttons Senior member

True about getting quickly ‘dated’.
    I think when it comes to what gear to buy and where from, there’s no simple answer.
    If ye want original 60s stuff, there’s an investment in scouring the vintage dealers of the world and a large degree of ‘getting lucky’ involved.
    There’s some modern day equivalents that are great and really look the part.
    There’s also the huge grey area in between, where the correct look is often compromised on styling and quality Vs availability (and to a lesser degree cost).
    The level of compromise is very much a personal choice. When one lad says “I bought these great brogues from Debenhams last week for 40 quid – just like the old ones”, another will be spitting with disgust for looking cheap and nothing like the real thing. Snobbery, some would say but it depends on exactly what look you’re aiming at.
    Personal choice should be left as just that.

15. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Yes that would be me - spitting with disgust :D

No, I just think there is a need for a resource and people can take or leave it. For example, if you want to 'replicate' a 1960s M&S botany wool v neck today what choice do you have? Perhaps a John Smedley in Sea Island Cotton or fine Merino Wool. What else?

It's that kind of thing I would like. There is of course something rather like it on modculture but it is limited and has a different focus of course.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011