• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Now the days are growing shorter and the mornings are a little misty at times my thoughts turn readily to autumn / fall. Next weekend in England is late summer Bank Holiday which marks the change in seasons.

What do you guys do? Do you gradually begin to cross-over into autumn stuff or do you have a more marked switch when the weather turns?

What new pieces are you lining up for the new season?

I have my eye on one of the short macs from JTG. Anyone have experience of them?

Also a long-sleeve JS or two, probably in sea island cotton. Maybe a new pair of brogues.

KD-fens

Reaction score

There is something very attractive to me about the monkey jacket as an alternative to the harrington. I think it is the lower collar. The thing I like least about harringtons is the stand up collar - especially in warmer weather.

I like that they're not as common, add a bit more colour to the outfit, and I feel that the collar helps emphasize the collar of the shirt underneath it. I also think it's got a more youthful look to it.

In regards to the change of seasons, I ease into the new weather. I'll start wearing heavier jeans/chinos during the day, wear desert boots more often, more earth tones, sweaters during the day, wool socks, and bring out my 3 season parka, sans liner. Once the end of November comes around, I'll bring out my wool coats.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for the OG's - when it came to wearing suits, were braces worn with them, or did you go with belts? Or did you get the more streamlined look by getting perfectly cut pants? And if you went with braces, was it your day-to-day braces, or button on "dress" braces? I see a lot of "traditional" skinheads wearing their clip on braces with their suits, and I think it looks like trash.

I never had braces anyway and as has been pointed out suit trousers had side adjusters. Furthermore suits were three piece. So braces would not be seen in any case. I never saw any skinhead type with traditional button braces though.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Now the days are growing shorter and the mornings are a little misty at times my thoughts turn readily to autumn / fall. Next weekend in England is late summer Bank Holiday which marks the change in seasons.

What do you guys do? Do you gradually begin to cross-over into autumn stuff or do you have a more marked switch when the weather turns?

I have my eye on one of the short macs from JTG. Anyone have experience of them?

Also a long-sleeve JS or two, probably in sea island cotton. Maybe a new pair of brogues.

As the weather starts turning colder, I still wear pretty much the same gear. harringtons, monkey jackets, Levi's Trucker jackets. BUT with an extra layer i.e. KNITWEAR. Cardi's and tanktops are added to my usual combo's.
As much as I love my sheepskins. They can be quite a visual statement to Joe Public, only really wear them when it's winter, and not very often. Should make more of an effort really with the ol' sheepskin.

I'd really like a Smart version of the 'donkey jacket', never really seen a decent one though. Were donkey jackets ever worn by orig skins, or are they more 80's revival/Dexy's type influence?

Last edited:

harrysgame

Reaction score
As the weather turn colder i will dig out my Crombie style coats. I bought one last year which is a thinner materiel, more like a heavy weight suit jacket. So that will be perfect for autum. More sweaters, cardigans and sleeveless jumpers will be worn. Tootal scarves. When the weather really turns i will be digging out the sheepskins, but only for really cold weather.

Donkey jackets were more of a 70s thing. But were obviously a work coat. They wern't really worn as a fashion statement. More worn on the terraces to keep the cold at bay in the winter.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

As the weather starts turning colder, I still wear pretty much the same gear. harringtons, monkey jackets, Levi's Trucker jackets. BUT with an extra layer i.e. KNITWEAR. Cardi's and tanktops are added to my usual combo's.
As much as I love my sheepskins. They can be quite a visual statement to Joe Public, only really wear them when it's winter, and not very often. Should make more of an effort really with the ol' sheepskin.

I'd really like a Smart version of the 'donkey jacket', never really seen a decent one though. Were donkey jackets ever worn by orig skins, or are they more 80's revival/Dexy's type influence?
I agree they really were a 70s item. I was very fortunate at the time to have been working for a river authority and part of my remit was to issue the kit to the guys that went out on site. I was thus in charge of stacks of brand new donkey jackets and 'borrowed' a new one each lunchtime when the weather was cold. I have never bought one but believe these are pretty good from Ben Nevis: http://www.bennevisclothing.com/epa...ey Jacket"/SubProducts/"Donkey Jacket-Medium" I have one of their harringtons (recommended by Get Smart) and can certainly vouch for them.

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

As the weather turn colder i will dig out my Crombie style coats. I bought one last year which is a thinner materiel, more like a heavy weight suit jacket. So that will be perfect for autum. More sweaters, cardigans and sleeveless jumpers will be worn. Tootal scarves. When the weather really turns i will be digging out the sheepskins, but only for really cold weather.

Donkey jackets were more of a 70s thing. But were obviously a work coat. They wern't really worn as a fashion statement. More worn on the terraces to keep the cold at bay in the winter.

I have a Donkey-type jacket dating from about 1988 by Gianfranco Ferre - still in great condition but highly stylized as you would expect. Some years it looks completely wrong and never gets worn but I have a feeling this autumn it might just make a comeback.........

Tootal scarves. Yes, I am very fortunate to have inherited two from my old dad who died earlier this year. One from around 1965:
Tootal271010-1.jpg

and one a bit later.

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Donkey jackets was worn by original skinheads 68/69 it was the first sort of kit we started to wear along with Jungle Greens, Cherry Red Boots etc, Always had one at one time or another up until this day,
Hard to get a quality one these days,
I did see a nice one made by Barbour in Sefridges London a cool £200

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

for me, cooler "fall weather" wont happen until later october so over a month before any thoughts of jackets/jumpers :(

It's supposed to be near 100 degrees next few days so summer is at its peak here.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

Donkey jackets was worn by original skinheads 68/69 it was the first sort of kit we started to wear along with Jungle Greens, Cherry Red Boots etc, Always had one at one time or another up until this day,

Oliver Spencer has a Donkey jacket. 325 quid so makes the Barbour one seem discounted

http://www.oipolloi.com/Store/OiPolloi-DII-3518-70-oliver+spencer+.html

Brideshead

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I suppose this is another example of the 'regional' variations. I don't really remember seeing them around in the late 60s - at least not on skinheads.

I wish I had actually appropriated one of the ones that I borrowed back in 1972. .....

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
Cheers for input fella's

Very useful info there!

Brideshead - thanks for link. The DJ's look pretty good on there. Wouldn't mind a sky blue harrington too.
I think I'll have a punt on them.

(edit just purchased the donkey jacket £49)

Last edited:

Lasttye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We started wearing Donkey jackets in the Winter of 68, Being at school where Skinheads started we had limited money so we would shop in Army, Surplus stores that would also stock Work Wear,
Around our way we all had them... it was the only warm coat we could afford. The Donkey jacket was the only bit of Skinhead gear that we wore well into the 70s, As someone said was a good warm jacket to wear at Football.

soundsnpressure

Reaction score
We started wearing Donkey jackets in the Winter of 68, Being at school where Skinheads started we had limited money so we would shop in Army, Surplus stores that would also stock Work Wear,
Around our way we all had them... it was the only warm coat we could afford. The Donkey jacket was the only bit of Skinhead gear that we wore well into the 70s, As someone said was a good warm jacket to wear at Football.

Lasttye - This is music to my ears :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics