Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. KD-fens

KD-fens Active Member

I need to get a jacket like the one Bob has there. Someone point me in the right direction, please.

i wish I could contribute to this thread.

2. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Get smart - Cheers.

Lasttye - great photo. Very smart folk there.I love YORK, my brother went to uni there, I loved going to visit.
    Built by the Romans and built to last.
    At the time (mid 90's) York had the most pubs of any town centre. About 124 if I remember right.
    There seemed to be a boozer on every street corner (heaven! :)
    With the rate pubs are closing in the UK, I hope York hasn't been hit hard :(

p.s. I have a mate I drink with occasionly that was an original skin. I keep pestering him for photo's of him and his mates, which he says he has. (Still waiting) Of trips to blackpool in 68 and 69. He's from Birmingham, Aston Villa fan. He tells me that's where he used to go with his mates to show off the skin look. There were skirmishes there, football related aggro. He's adamant the first skins were from the midlands/Black country. Which I take with a 'pinch of salt', as I'd imagine London was pretty much forerunners.
    Anyway, hopefully I'll get these photo's one day. He's very pround of his orange harrington in the pics, he tells me.
    If/when I get them I'll post them here!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Soundsnpresure, I went to Wolves and WBA Away with Chelsea, 68/69 season their was no Skinheads up there,The girls at West Brom was crazy about us.

The next Season 69/70 Wolves had Skinheads, I wonder if your mate knew the famous Tina from Wolverhampton, she was a Chelsea supporter.
    I got to know Her she use to come to London to watch Chelsea and stay around our place in Kilburn.

4. soundsnpressure

Cheers for reply Roy.
    I'll ask him.
    Girls at WBA eh? sounds interesting ;) Sounds like the midlands def had early skins, but not as prominent and early as down south. Aston villa fans can be a little 'economical' with the truth Ha ha. But then I'm biased, I'm a Birmingham city fan.

5. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Welcome. Is this Phil?

6. JohnnyJones

JohnnyJones New Member

You are looking for a monkey jacket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-M...ackets&var=&hash=item950327cfb4#ht_958wt_1139

Can't vouch for the quality of these...But unless you want to pay ridiculous money for a Fred Perry laurel on it, they should do the job.

Hi everybody by the way. I'm a French boy that spent the past few years in the mod/skinhead scene. I have kept an eye on the thread for quite a bit now, and it is worth much more than all of the skinhead forums out there put together. Fab pics and stories !

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

When you think back in the 60s, we had no mobile phones, Internet etc, But the Skinhead look spread rapid, Birmingham is only 100 miles from London so yes Brum would have had skinheads not much longer after London. But i said Skinhead look, You see we in London would go all over England with football, We looked at other Teenagers outside London not so much as Skinheads as it was just a fashion back then, We thought anyone outside London was backward..which was true, and thought we was above everyone, until we got a few kickings on our travels that is :D

8. PxC

PxC Active Member

Do you originals believe there's a possibility that the proto-skinhead "hardmod" look may have appeared simultaneously in different parts of the country in slightly different ways?
    Or was it always London then everyone copying it?
    Were the regional differences mainly due to copying it "wrong"/unavailability of the proper gear? Or could it be that the northern skins came from a similar but not identical variant of a late mod look circa '67 and then became more stereotipical skins when the London look became popular, but retaining elements from their own previous fashions (more denim, for instance)?

9. soundsnpressure

JonnyJones's link to them Monkey jacket's do look alright. Far more authentic 60's looking, than my FP ones.

The one Bob is wearing in the photo is great.

I have 3 Fp monkey jackets at the moment all bought in the sales from the FP website.
    I know they are very modern looking, but you can easily pick them up for under £60, when the sales are on.

[​IMG]

10. Little Queenie

Little Queenie Senior member

Something similar has occurred to me. Certainly 'the look' in the North had its own style and wasn't simply about copying what went on in London.

By-the-way, where do you hail from?

11. soundsnpressure

Harrysgame - Thanks for welcome. I'm not Phil though.

12. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Yes it was only when i saw some of you replies i realised it wern't Phil. Welcome to the site. Take care.

13. KD-fens

KD-fens Active Member

Question for the OG's - when it came to wearing suits, were braces worn with them, or did you go with belts? Or did you get the more streamlined look by getting perfectly cut pants? And if you went with braces, was it your day-to-day braces, or button on "dress" braces? I see a lot of "traditional" skinheads wearing their clip on braces with their suits, and I think it looks like trash.

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

68/69 Suits was Bespoke made, the trousers had side zip adjusters, [ which you cannot get these days] so i did not need braces, To be honest cant remember what others did.
    I also do not wear braces with my present day suits, infact don't wear braces anytime,

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  15. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

No, I never wore braces with a suit and didn't really like them at all. Suits were bespoke or at least MTM and therefore trousers were expected to fit well enough not to need support. Most came with side adjusters - 'self-supporting' was the term I recall. Belts were not worn during the skinhead period and I struggled to get into them in the 70s when fashion demanded them again.

Crossed with Roy's post and got the answer right! whew!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011