Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bunty

bunty Senior member

I thinks it was MoM who mentioned the difference in music played at northern and southern clubs -

[​IMG]
    Page 107

[​IMG]
    Page 108

Black Music In Britain - Edited By Paul Oliver (1990)

Open University Press
    Celtic Court
    22 Ballmoor
    Buckingham MK18 1XW

By the way...... Please watch from 8.35 to 8.50 [​IMG] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAR4M...yer_detailpage

2. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I thinks it was MoM who mentioned the difference in music played at northern and southern clubs -

[​IMG]
    Page 107

[​IMG]
    Page 108

Black Music In Britain - Edited By Paul Oliver (1990)

Open University Press
    Celtic Court
    22 Ballmoor
    Buckingham MK18 1XW

By the way...... Please watch from 8.35 to 8.50 [​IMG] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAR4M...yer_detailpage

It has already been recognised that the Skinheads played a great part in Reggae going National(this is by the Artistes themselves)-regardless of what this Journalist said.
    Roger Eagle hated the more uptempo Northern(if I can remember properly).He said ,at the time,Drugs is killing the Club Scene.I believed he resigned because of it!

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?

It has been a long time since I have given a barber any tips about my hair apart from "make it look as though I still have some" or "try and make me look as handsome as Patrick Stewart - leave me to work on the voice"!

If you like the way my hair was 'back in the day' you have my permission to take my pic along with you to the barber shop.

I do recall that I began to feel that my parting was a little high and I brought it down a little further. About all I can say.

Good luck with it.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Roger Eagle hated the more uptempo Northern(if I can remember properly).He said ,at the time,Drugs is killing the Club Scene.I believed he resigned because of it!

I met Roger a few times in the late 70s early 80s when he was running Eric's Club in Liverpool. That was a recognised punk venue, but he would do wonderful things like having a night which included sets from The Slits, jazz trumpeter Don Cherry, and a reggae 'toaster'. When he lost the license for Eric's he opened another club somewhere in Liverpool where he got back to his roots by booking acts like Bo Diddley and Jr Walker.

5. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

I think Ruperts may have been a London thing, they was nothing like POW or Dogtooth, material or patten.
    They was very light weight material, Pastel colours with a feint check a subtle POW patten, These was very cheap trousers, would fall apart after a couple of weeks and went out of fashion by the end of the summer
    These trousers are fairly important as it was a transition period, moving away from stay-prest.
    I have mentioned these trousers before, later skinheads had heard or read we wore Ruperts and assume they are the Noddy Holder loud bright check, which they was not,
    I know Harry who gets on here knows what iam on about.

I know what you mean Roy. The ruperts that some wear these days are far to bright. The ones i think you are refering to are made by Everprest, Quite subtle but more striking than POW. But definatly not garish like bright red or yellow like i have seen in the past.

Ones i have had are bottle green with a subtle black blue and white pin check. The Everprest ones were straight cut like a conventional sta prest trouser. Mostly a latter Skinhead garment, as in 1970/71.

The ones Noddy Holder and other artist wore were flared and very bold check.

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I know what you mean Roy. The ruperts that some wear these days are far to bright. The ones i think you are refering to are made by Everprest, Quite subtle but more striking than POW. But definatly not garish like bright red or yellow like i have seen in the past.

Ones i have had are bottle green with a subtle black blue and white pin check. The Everprest ones were straight cut like a conventional sta prest trouser. Mostly a latter Skinhead garment, as in 1970/71.

The ones Noddy Holder and other artist wore were flared and very bold check.

If they are the ones that I found on the Net,I would not have worn them-they were made out of Polyester(irritates my Skin).`70/`71, I was definitely buying my Strides down the "Cut".

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I met Roger a few times in the late 70s early 80s when he was running Eric's Club in Liverpool. That was a recognised punk venue, but he would do wonderful things like having a night which included sets from The Slits, jazz trumpeter Don Cherry, and a reggae 'toaster'. When he lost the license for Eric's he opened another club somewhere in Liverpool where he got back to his roots by booking acts like Bo Diddley and Jr Walker.
    I would have liked meeting Roger.[​IMG]

8. Man-of-Mystery

I would have liked meeting Roger.[​IMG]

I found him to be a bit of a curmudgeon actually. Interesting guy, but not someone you'd warm to.

9. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I found him to be a bit of a curmudgeon actually. Interesting guy, but not someone you'd warm to.
    Frank Elson was like that.

10. Man-of-Mystery

spam spam spam spam
    spam spam spam spam

SHUT UP (Bloody Vikings!)
    [​IMG]

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?

ask him to do an 8-4-2 (as in clipper settings)

so front is the "8" (longer, about inch and half", top is a "4" (maybe .5" or so), back is tapered to a #2

12. Man-of-Mystery

so front is the "8" (longer, about inch and half", top is a "4" (maybe .5" or so), back is tapered to a #2

Funny, I used to tell my barber, back in the day, "Make it the same length all over".

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Funny, I used to tell my barber, back in the day, "Make it the same length all over".
    They used to do that-whether you wanted it or not [​IMG]

14. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

It has been a long time since I have given a barber any tips about my hair apart from "make it look as though I still have some" or "try and make me look as handsome as Patrick Stewart - leave me to work on the voice"!

If you like the way my hair was 'back in the day' you have my permission to take my pic along with you to the barber shop.

I do recall that I began to feel that my parting was a little high and I brought it down a little further. About all I can say.

Good luck with it.

I might have to try that MoM, probably will if GetSmart's suggestion doesn't turn out too great on me.

What length would that be on the sides though?

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ surely you dont need a blueprint for the entire head. i think your barber will be able to figure out how to do the sides to make it look consistent with rest of you, but it's gonna be like a #2 tapered up to the 4 or thereabouts