Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I have just read the Piece(written about Alan Mortlock)in the Sunday Telegraph-2003.He is talking about `77,when there was Ruck in the "Room At The Top".The Club was about 8 Floors up,and you had to get in by Lift.That particular Night someone went out through the Windows.The Club had a very bad Reputation.

2. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

any of you original fellas wear staprest by Brutus back in the day?

or any other brand for that matter? I know there were several companies that did a perma-press stride but they've never talked about other than Levis

didnt Brutus announce they might remake their staprest? not that it means much considering how long it's taken them to release "announced" shirt designs [​IMG]

I only wore Levi Sta Prest, Dont remember Brutus Sta prest, In saying that i never wore anything by Brutus, When did they issue them?

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Brownie you remember Ruperts? just trying to remember when we wore them 70? They was Pastel colours, with a light check,
    I have noticed present day Skinheads wearing bright Coloured Rupert trousers that Rupert the Bear or Noddy Holder wore.

Which was nothing like we wore back in the day.

4. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

Brownie you remember Ruperts? just trying to remember when we wore them 70? They was Pastel colours, with a light check,
    I have noticed present day Skinheads wearing bright Coloured Rupert trousers that Rupert the Bear or Noddy Holder wore.

I had one pair of check strides (chocolate brown with a subtle, yellow, window-pane check) but that was well after we had stopped being skins and gone all arty, and they were flares. Never wore Ruperts when I was a skinhead.

5. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

You know Lasttye,I am really racking my Brains(and it does not take long!)about Ruperts.I can certainly remember the later ones-as M-o-M mentions,but....?

6. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I can remember the Check and striped Mohair Trousers(about `70),as I told you before.When I saw them in Nick Knights Book(Ruperts),I thought eh???

7. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

They actually have a pair of Ruperts on ebay(Boys Size),and they are as I remember them-with turn-ups.

8. buttons

buttons Senior member

I can remember the Check and striped Mohair Trousers(about `70),as I told you before.When I saw them in Nick Knights Book(Ruperts),I thought eh???

By check though (in 1970), do you mean a subtle check of the dogtooth, POW ilk (rather than the large window panes with heavy colour clash that followed more like '71)?

9. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

By check though (in 1970), do you mean a subtle check of the dogtooth, POW ilk (rather than the large window panes with heavy colour clash that followed more like '71)?

I remember mainly PoW check strides and jackets (worn as separates or as a suit). In some cases the PoW check had a thin red or orange chalk stripe as a counter-check, almost like a superimposed window-pane check, but it was very very subtle, a bit like this:

[​IMG]

But no Rupert Bear nonsense.

10. buttons

buttons Senior member

I remember mainly PoW check strides and jackets (worn as separates or as a suit). In some cases the PoW check had a thin red or orange chalk stripe as a counter-check, almost like a superimposed window-pane check, but it was very very subtle, a bit like this:

[​IMG]

But no Rupert Bear nonsense.

Oh, good old POW - love it. There were always checks around similar to POW for decades (possibly centuries but I haven't time to look), often in tweedy colour schemes etc (as well as the black and white with red or blue pin stripe).
    Around 70-ish though, did the checks get gradually more bold and colourful over the next year or so, or was it subtle POW then BANG! Rupert the bear (and all of its garish variants)?

11. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I think Ruperts may have been a London thing, they was nothing like POW or Dogtooth, material or patten.
    They was very light weight material, Pastel colours with a feint check a subtle POW patten, These was very cheap trousers, would fall apart after a couple of weeks and went out of fashion by the end of the summer
    These trousers are fairly important as it was a transition period, moving away from stay-prest.
    I have mentioned these trousers before, later skinheads had heard or read we wore Ruperts and assume they are the Noddy Holder loud bright check, which they was not,
    I know Harry who gets on here knows what iam on about.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I think Ruperts may have been a London thing, they was nothing like POW or Dogtooth, material or patten.
    They was very light weight material, Pastel colours with a feint check a subtle POW patten, These was very cheap trousers, would fall apart after a couple of weeks and went out of fashion by the end of the summer
    These trousers are fairly important as it was a transition period, moving away from stay-prest.
    I have mentioned these trousers before, later skinheads had heard or read we wore Ruperts and assume they are the Noddy Holder loud bright check, which they was not,
    I know Harry who gets on here knows what iam on about.

Could be another Area variation of the main theme,Lasttye.Even though I was in Guildford,I was in Town nearly every Weekend-Shopping,catching up with old Mates and Clubbing.Still trying to think about these Strides.1970 I had a POW Suit(I know in an earlier Post M-o-M you said you would have liked one).The Light Grey with Navy Blue Pattern.

13. Brideshead

Brideshead Senior member

Could be another Area variation of the main theme,Lasttye.Even though I was in Guildford,I was in Town nearly every Weekend-Shopping,catching up with old Mates and Clubbing.Still trying to think about these Strides.1970 I had a POW Suit(I know in an earlier Post M-o-M you said you would have liked one).The Light Grey with Navy Blue Pattern.

I must say I had not heard of them until I started hanging around these forums. I do not recall them.

I stayed pretty true (in the trouser department) to the Squire Shop with a short flirtation with Stirling Cooper around 1973. Mainly lightweight wools and tweeds.

14. Ikouja

Ikouja Well-Known Member

I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?

15. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

I've been growing my hair out a bit lately, but I don't really know the exact way to get my hair cut in an Ivy League style, that very short haircut with a part. MoM I think you have one in all your pictures, any tips I could have for my barber?
    One and a half inches all over?