• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Inkss

Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought two pair and I DO like them. The only problem is that they are 100% cotton. Sta-prest are usually a cotton mix, which keeps the crease better.
I have one pair of RH and was about to jump in here and claim that they’re poly cotton but before I did I looked at the tags on mine and it doesn’t actually say what they’re made of. (Isn’t that against the law?)
So then I go to the website (nice pair of ice blue now available) and it doesn’t say on there either. What are they hiding here?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one pair of RH and was about to jump in here and claim that they’re poly cotton but before I did I looked at the tags on mine and it doesn’t actually say what they’re made of. (Isn’t that against the law?)
So then I go to the website (nice pair of ice blue now available) and it doesn’t say on there either. What are they hiding here?

Pretty sure they’re all cotton. Defo have that feel. If I remember correctly, when they first put them on their site, or their advertising that they would be doing so, they said they were 100% pure cotton. Which of course is the wrong fabric for such trousers.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I feel ever so slightly ripped off now!😁
I got these to replace a cheap pair of poly cotton (not officially sta pressed) strides from Express that I often use when travelling for work as they didn’t get creased up in an aeroplane seat. Since then my travelling has reduced and I change jobs so have t been travelling much at all.

Years ago I had a pair of slate grey Levi’s Dockers chinos that were made of coconut fibre or something. Never wrinkled, kept their crease, washable and remained cool but don’t seem to have been available in a while so maybe a one off experiment by Levi’s?

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well past their prime but these were the best photos of proper Sta-Prest I could find online a few years back @p.nut

On-seam pockets at the side, a welt pocket at the back closed with a button, a buttoned keeper and metal clasp at the front, a white Levis tab stiched into the waist belt.

staprest1.jpeg
staprest2.jpeg
staprest3.jpeg

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well past their prime but these were the best photos of proper Sta-Prest I could find online a few years back @p.nut

On-seam pockets at the side, a welt pocket at the back closed with a button, a buttoned keeper and metal clasp at the front, a white Levis tab stiched into the waist belt.

View attachment 2204757 View attachment 2204759 View attachment 2204761

Oh man, those were the best color, too. I had a pair of black with that inside label, but I never really wore them— I always looked like a member of HTND-era Skrewdriver when I wore them. Not exactly the look I was chasing 😄

Inkss

Reaction score
Oh man, those were the best color, too. I had a pair of black with that inside label, but I never really wore them— I always looked like a member of HTND-era Skrewdriver when I wore them. Not exactly the look I was chasing 😄
My light-blue Warrior prest are more 'very light turquoise' than ice blue. More's the pity.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out those Hoxton ones in sky blue lads!
I have no idea the brand but I know I had two pairs of light blue sta pressts back around 1981. One was a pale blue and one was a really vivid cornflour blue.
Not sure which pair these were …
image-11.jpeg

More recently I’ve tried to relive those days with a pale blue pair of sta pressts from Merc from many years ago and a cornflour pair of poly cotton but not official sta pressts by Bobby Jones which is a golf brand.

IMG_9773.jpeg

p.nut

Reaction score

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out those Hoxton ones in sky blue lads!
I have no idea the brand but I know I had two pairs of light blue sta pressts back around 1981. One was a pale blue and one was a really vivid cornflour blue.
Not sure which pair these were …
View attachment 2204799

More recently I’ve tried to relive those days with a pale blue pair of sta pressts from Merc from many years ago and a cornflour pair of poly cotton but not official sta pressts by Bobby Jones which is a golf brand.

View attachment 2204801

Looks like you were playing a Rickenbacker 4001(?) bass for the Chords! Drummer’s kit looks similar to theirs.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like you were playing a Rickenbacker 4001(?) bass for the Chords! Drummer’s kit looks similar to theirs.
😀Yup always a big fan of Bruce Foxton! Loved that Rick-O-Sound! I was always disappointed when he moved over to boring Fender Precisions. I ended up getting an Aria ProII and was surprised when I was in the studio audience to see The Jam on The Tube when he walked out with the exact same model I’d just recently bought. A shame they went out of vogue they were a great looking and great sounding bass. I still have mine.

The drummer is Nige Walton, he went on to have some success with Opus III (‘It’s A Fine Day’) before a successful career working with some giants doing musical editing etc. Sadly succumbed to cancer recently. Lovely bloke.

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
😀Yup always a big fan of Bruce Foxton! Loved that Rick-O-Sound! I was always disappointed when he moved over to boring Fender Precisions. I ended up getting an Aria ProII and was surprised when I was in the studio audience to see The Jam on The Tube when he walked out with the exact same model I’d just recently bought. A shame they went out of vogue they were a great looking and great sounding bass. I still have mine.

The drummer is Nige Walton, he went on to have some success with Opus III (‘It’s A Fine Day’) before a successful career working with some giants doing musical editing etc. Sadly succumbed to cancer recently. Lovely bloke.
P basses might be boring, but they are the best bass. It's the most recorded bass for a reason.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P basses might be boring, but they are the best bass. It's the most recorded bass for a reason.
I know I know I can’t argue with their popularity (them and Jazzes) but same as with Stratsi I just find them bland and boring. From all the options out there I admire it when someone steps out from the crowd with something different. With all the options for effects pedals and modelling amps available you can almost get any sound you want these days out of any guitar.

Phangtonpower

Reaction score
I know I know I can’t argue with their popularity (them and Jazzes) but same as with Stratsi I just find them bland and boring. From all the options out there I admire it when someone steps out from the crowd with something different. With all the options for effects pedals and modelling amps available you can almost get any sound you want these days out of any guitar.
I get it. I also own a ovation magnum for looks and for most of the options as a ric, but even with all the effects and stuff, nothing sounds like a p bass. Might get close but not the same.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephaniemills