• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score
It honestly depended where you were living. I can remember, when I lived in London, seeing a couple of Northern lads hitch-hiking, and their jeans were much wider than our standard 501s. I think the answer is to settle for a width that suits you and looks good on you, without having them clinging like Teds' drainpipes or flapping like Northern Soul baggies.
Wise words, thanks MoM

p.nut

Reaction score
Herzlich wilkommen, p.nut. Spent a few years in Germany as a kid (Göttingen and a village near Heidelberg mostly) and have often returned as my brother lives there. In the late 90s and early 2000s I remember seeing a lot of punks and skins in Göttingen, Frankfurt, and Mannheim, especially at anti-Nazi counterprotests. I've hardly seen anyone I would associate with those subcultures my last few visits. What is it like where you live?
Nice! Well in my town we have a little but nice scene. Couple of guys who are pretty active. We meet for beer and visit concerts but thats about it. We have a recurring event where ska bands play so thats basically the biggest meet and greet we have. Also no "boneheads" (or however you wanna call them) over here any more.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter Christian was an old blokes‘ shop and used to have a chap called The Major promoting their wares - cravats included.

Then they went mod

You say that like it’s a bad thing!😁

Mind it’s outrageous that tries to call himself ‘King of the Mods’ and he has a fuc*ing beard! F**k off man, the Mod look might be a broad church but there’s no room for beards in it IMO. I honestly can’t think of a single person with a beard whose style I admired. Not one. They’re usually sported these days by blokes who have gone bald and realising they look like every other shaven-headed baldy, think they have to do something creative with their chin pubes to set themselves apart.

I’ve got no problem with people admitting / embracing their baldness and buzzing the rest off or keeping it down to a #2 or less but you don’t have to compensate with the face fungus!😄

Iskander

Reaction score
You say that like it’s a bad thing!😁

Mind it’s outrageous that tries to call himself ‘King of the Mods’ and he has a fuc*ing beard! F**k off man, the Mod look might be a broad church but there’s no room for beards in it IMO. I honestly can’t think of a single person with a beard whose style I admired. Not one. They’re usually sported these days by blokes who have gone bald and realising they look like every other shaven-headed baldy, think they have to do something creative with their chin pubes to set themselves apart.

I’ve got no problem with people admitting / embracing their baldness and buzzing the rest off or keeping it down to a #2 or less but you don’t have to compensate with the face fungus!😄
Count your lucky stars you were blessed with good hair genetics! I'm not bald but I have shaved my head before and I looked like a literal egg with no facial hair to provide some contrast🥚

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Count your lucky stars you were blessed with good hair genetics! I'm not bald but I have shaved my head before and I looked like a literal egg with no facial hair to provide some contrast🥚
Yeah I was home recently and there was a semi formal reunion doo. I was one of the few lucky lads with a full head of hair so I do thank the memory of my Dad for passing on those good genes. Bald blokes with beard just look like they have their head on upside down!

Inkss

Reaction score
Grabbed this new tan Jeff Banks suit for £15/$19 including postage. Can't grumble at that price
s-l1600.jpg

Got an almost perfect condition cavalry twill ovecoat by Dunn & Co for a bullseye.
dunne.jpg

Very nice quality

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I'd been thinking of asking for book recommendations, so that is handy.
I had a look at the Eddie Piller book "Clean Living..." but I'm more interested in the original period. I bought 'Mod Art' by Anderson instead which is a very different type of book and so far seems to be general influences rather than specifically mod stuff. I'm happy with that, though I know it does include things from the revival(s).

After rewatching the John Simons programme now it's on Amazon, I searched for the Ivy Look by Marsh and Gaul. I was surprised to find it available as a free read on the Internet Archive here https://archive.org/details/ivylookclassicam0000mars/mode/1up?view=theater - you have to 'borrow' it for an hour at a time, but it is free and I think kosher.
I've also read a few autobiographies including Daltrey's (okay) and Graham Nash's (not so keen).

With that in mind, any suggestions?
The Marsh & Gaul book is pretty cool, I have it, nice illustrations, but it is a very reductive (and English) view of the Ivy Look, it is not well considered on the American websites dedicated to Ivy.

About books on the MtS topic, I liked « The soul Stylists », and more on football violence and it’s connection with the look « Booted and suited ».

About mod and facial hair, if it didn’t make it to Florida, it was a fad among some suedeheads in 1970. Those pictures came to mind, there are others.
IMG_8132.jpeg

IMG_8131.jpeg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Marsh & Gaul book is pretty cool, I have it, nice illustrations, but it is a very reductive (and English) view of the Ivy Look, it is not well considered on the American websites dedicated to Ivy.

About books on the MtS topic, I liked « The soul Stylists », and more on football violence and it’s connection with the look « Booted and suited ».

About mod and facial hair, if it didn’t make it to Florida, it was a fad among some suedeheads in 1970. Those pictures came to mind, there are others.
View attachment 2204171
View attachment 2204173

Well to be fair the second guy is sporting a ‘tache, not a beard.
And yeah G, “Soul Stylists” by Paolo Hewitt is a great read! The discussion of the mod~skin~bootboy~soulboy~casual(and everything in between) argument is pretty strong there if I remember correctly.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well to be fair the second guy is sporting a ‘tache, not a beard.
And yeah G, “Soul Stylists” by Paolo Hewitt is a great read! The discussion of the mod~skin~bootboy~soulboy~casual(and everything in between) argument is pretty strong there if I remember correctly.
Well on the first pic I call it a beard but of course I might be lost in translation 🤭.
Btw It looks like it’s the same lad on both pictures.

Swampster

Reaction score
Just had a look at the Hewitt book on Amazon and it told me I had already bought it and read it on Kindle! I did read a lot in 2020 for some reason, so it isn't just my memory fading.

Thanks anyway. That is the kind of book I'm probably after.

Around the same time, I read Robert Elms' 'The Way We Wore' which I think is quite a divisive book. I found it an easy read, though. Not having been part of any scene, I don't have the knowledge to disagree with his comments on styles which helps. I know the feeling - there are some history books I have read where one little bit which I think is inaccurate can make me wary of the whole book.

I've read more music books in the last few years than previously and I'm looking for more. While I have enjoyed some (the Hepworth books were good reads) there is the danger of lots of "On the bill that night were 'Hubert Klanger and the Skyrats' with Florenz Knodel on drums using his distinctive fly whisks on half-tightened Fliberty skins" which can crop up in many of that genre.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I read ‘The Way We Wore’ it seem to remember it was a decent read taking us through the extended continuum of youth cults from the late seventies onwards and how all those scenes evolved. I’m not really placed to offer much criticism as Elms was clearly in the middle of it all in London while I was growing up waaay oop north and thus so far removed from the rapidly changing times.

My main beef was that he seemed to flit from one fad to the next with gay abandon which had me questioning his commitment to any of them. Kinda like the young lad who worked in my barber’s shop who had a different hair style every other week. Occasionally he looked decent but more often than not he had some absolute shockers that he won’t look back on with pride, and like Elms it all seemed a bit frivolous compared to those of us who did a deep dive and valued commitment to a style / youth cult.

p.nut

Reaction score
1719156412507.jpeg

I got this Sta Prest, never worn from the 90s on eBay. Lovely thing but I have one problem: I cant get it to fit, its just too tight and I cant close it. Now to my question: How high do you think are the chances that a tailor can make this one fit? I heard that you can adjust pants with a cut and a wedge to make it fit but im quite concered that it ruins the look of the pants. Anyone have experience with something like this? Dont know if this is too off topic for this thread but yeah... Would be lovely to know.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenerPrice