• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ivyskin89

Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got two pairs of Levi’s sta pressts for sale on eBay.

One very small / slim fitting 32 in cobalt blue
The other desert sand or whatever they were called from Stuart’s of London a couple of years ago. They were too big on me and too much postage to send back. PM for insider discount!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Contemporary Levi’s Sta Prest usually have weird cuts and are a mine field.
LVC did a few decent repros through the years but at stupid retail price.
The Merc London « Winston » from several years is pretty good (60% cotton), I have a couple I had for peanuts. I wear a brown one on my actual Friday Challenge picture.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention at my niece’s wedding (shes 32 the groom is 40 just to give you an idea of the median age demographic) there were two - TWO - lads, including the groom’s brother who was best man, with exaggerated ‘Wellend’ haircuts. I thought this was just some sort of mythical internet trope but I’ve now seen it with my own eyes.
Did they mate?

A few years ago I wandered into the bar of a pub and it was full of those hairstyles. If there was ever such a thing as a 'mod pub' that place was it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they mate?

A few years ago I wandered into the bar of a pub and it was full of those hairstyles. If there was ever such a thing as a 'mod pub' that place was it.
I’ve seen pics of such things as the Brighton Mod Weekender - still haven’t noticed egregious evidence of said barnet!

I’ve said before, there’s a part of me that would be curious to attend an event something like that - mostly to check out the style and the threads of the attendees and see if there is anything going on that would inform or inspire my own gear since I’m so isolated from anything like a ‘scene’ here, but I’d also be cautious that they don’t turn out to be full of old saddos trying to relive their long-gone teenage years, no different from the pathetic Teds we used to see lamenting their rapidly-receding hairlines in the seventies and eighties!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen pics of such things as the Brighton Mod Weekender - still haven’t noticed egregious evidence of said barnet!

I’ve said before, there’s a part of me that would be curious to attend an event something like that - mostly to check out the style and the threads of the attendees and see if there is anything going on that would inform or inspire my own gear since I’m so isolated from anything like a ‘scene’ here, but I’d also be cautious that they don’t turn out to be full of old saddos trying to relive their long-gone teenage years, no different from the pathetic Teds we used to see lamenting their rapidly-receding hairlines in the seventies and eighties!
Peter Christian was an old blokes‘ shop and used to have a chap called The Major promoting their wares - cravats included.

Then they went mod

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you guys say are some mod/suedehead staples?

Well to start off, trying to answer this question is about as straightforward as trying to answer “what is Hinduism?”
There is definitely a defining line between Mods and Suedes, that being Skinhead. Mod~skinhead~suedehead, was a continuum of one-upmanship in dress, style, and music. Suedehead and Mod were similar insofar as the former was a refinement and/or moving-on of Skinhead and thus similar to the latter.
The question is very diffcult to give a straightforward and concise answer, but If I may attempt in the Suedehead side of it, having never been a Mod:
a few Suedehead staples would be Crombies, brollies, bowlers, sta-prest trousers, longwing(American)brogues, 3-button suits, Fairisle jumpers, harrington/baracuta jackets, Tootal scarves, hair longer than a #/grade 2, usually with a side part. Suedehead was later, more grown-up, part of the continuum that quickly melded into Smooths, Bootboys, etc.
take my answers with a grain of salt, too as these styles could change week to week and varied by neighborhood, city, and region.
…my penn’orth.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good answer @Botolph not much to disagree with there.

As for the Mod view - one of these days I’m gonna write more about this on my blog but the way I see it the original Mods began as an elite cult of rich kids in London obsessed with bespoke suits, hand made shoes and listening / dancing to underground music in underground clubs. In time the scene spread and became more egalitarian so kids who couldn’t afford the elite clobber could get Fred Perrys, desert boots, Harrington jackets etc and feel part of the scene. This provoked one upmanship on the part of the elitist who were constantly adjusting the look to distance themselves from the oi polloi so the style was constantly in motion.

I came up during the revival era which had a different slant as by then it was important to be locked into the tribe of your choice so the revival look was centered on an early-mid sixties look of three button suits, button down or short collared shirts, narrow lapels, narrow ties, moccasins, etc along with jeans, sta pressts and the street gear mentioned above. There wasn’t much room to experiment. The look was very prescribed with two tone three button suits, parkas, jam shoes etc. After a while lots of lads moved on to the next scene (disco boys with wedge haircuts, baggy jeans and deck shoes) but some of us had discovered the ‘Mods!’ book by Richard Barnes (highly recommended) which opened up a view of the original Mods which were so much cooler than us revivalists so we dived in deeper trying to emulate their style and that’s stayed with me ever since - the ne plus ultra of menswear IMO.

Swampster

Reaction score
I'd been thinking of asking for book recommendations, so that is handy.
I had a look at the Eddie Piller book "Clean Living..." but I'm more interested in the original period. I bought 'Mod Art' by Anderson instead which is a very different type of book and so far seems to be general influences rather than specifically mod stuff. I'm happy with that, though I know it does include things from the revival(s).

After rewatching the John Simons programme now it's on Amazon, I searched for the Ivy Look by Marsh and Gaul. I was surprised to find it available as a free read on the Internet Archive here https://archive.org/details/ivylookclassicam0000mars/mode/1up?view=theater - you have to 'borrow' it for an hour at a time, but it is free and I think kosher.
I've also read a few autobiographies including Daltrey's (okay) and Graham Nash's (not so keen).

With that in mind, any suggestions?

Last edited:

p.nut

Reaction score
Im tuning in here now too! Found this thread through some research I did. Im currently reading and reached page 52... Lets see how far I make it in here. Its pretty insane that this thread started in 2008 or so. Im a quite young skinhead from germany who started out with the typical "bomber jacket and rangers" stuff but moved on to the more traditional style pretty quick.

WhatsApp Bild 2024-06-22 um 22.26.46_96fbe75a.jpg
I brought you a little fit. The coat is apparently an authentic "crombie"... well made of crombie wool if to be exact. Found this one for 40$ on vinted. It was produced by the german company Wilhelm Blicker GmbH & Co KG in Karlsruhe. This company apparently produced some coats for higher priced german fashion shops under the brand "bilco" (which you cant find **** about in the net). Apparently, according to my research, this company produced Burberry fashion here in germany a long time ago and was part of the Bugatti group. You can still find those coats on eBay for very very fair pricing... at least in germany. Very happy with this one!

Edit: forgot to mention that apparently the company had some sort of deal with Crombie. They got the fabric and made coats out of it.

smalltownbigboots

Reaction score
Im tuning in here now too! Found this thread through some research I did. Im currently reading and reached page 52... Lets see how far I make it in here. Its pretty insane that this thread started in 2008 or so. Im a quite young skinhead from germany who started out with the typical "bomber jacket and rangers" stuff but moved on to the more traditional style pretty quick.

View attachment 2204009 I brought you a little fit. The coat is apparently an authentic "crombie"... well made of crombie wool if to be exact. Found this one for 40$ on vinted. It was produced by the german company Wilhelm Blicker GmbH & Co KG in Karlsruhe. This company apparently produced some coats for higher priced german fashion shops under the brand "bilco" (which you cant find **** about in the net). Apparently, according to my research, this company produced Burberry fashion here in germany a long time ago and was part of the Bugatti group. You can still find those coats on eBay for very very fair pricing... at least in germany. Very happy with this one!

Edit: forgot to mention that apparently the company had some sort of deal with Crombie. They got the fabric and made coats out of it.
Herzlich wilkommen, p.nut. Spent a few years in Germany as a kid (Göttingen and a village near Heidelberg mostly) and have often returned as my brother lives there. In the late 90s and early 2000s I remember seeing a lot of punks and skins in Göttingen, Frankfurt, and Mannheim, especially at anti-Nazi counterprotests. I've hardly seen anyone I would associate with those subcultures my last few visits. What is it like where you live?

Reggae Mike

Reaction score

View attachment 2204009 I brought you a little fit. The coat is apparently an authentic "crombie"... well made of crombie wool if to be exact. Found this one for 40$ on vinted. It was produced by the german company Wilhelm Blicker GmbH & Co KG in Karlsruhe. This company apparently produced some coats for higher priced german fashion shops under the brand "bilco" (which you cant find **** about in the net). Apparently, according to my research, this company produced Burberry fashion here in germany a long time ago and was part of the Bugatti group. You can still find those coats on eBay for very very fair pricing... at least in germany. Very happy with this one!

Wow, exqusite find!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Punit