1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Have not been on for over a week.Interesting Inserts,as usual.Had to smile about the Paisley Scarves being "Poofy",say that to a gang of Fellas "Booted and Suited"-back in the day-and you would probably be leaving "Casualty the next day!:) I can vouch for Roys` Collection of Denim.Very impressive,if I may say so!
    That was an interesting touch to the Pocket Squares,M-o-M.To subsidse my Collection,use to cut out Squares from the Window DisplayBedding(it was all Silk in the 60s) and have a wide selection of Colours.
    I will tell you what Roy,the West London Girls were very happy to associate with us-but then that is a different Story!!!!:D

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

the jean thing is an interesting topic for me, being a jeans junkie.....i think it's safe to say most "traditional" skinheads nowadays do not care about selvedge denim, they just want a pair of any Levis as a part of the "correct uniform", but even 10+ years ago here in the STATES (where we always get the tag of doing it wrong), for some traditional skinheads it was very important to have selvedge Levis. Matter of fact, before the current fad of selvedge denim where every hipster/fashionista has been wearing it for the past 5 years, the ONLY people I knew who wore, cared and knew about selvedge denim in 90s-early 2000s were very traditional skinheads and rockabillies.

re: cinchback denim.....def NOT skinhead! but I do love a pair, have one by Studio d'Artisan in Japan where half the jean has vintage Lee details, and half the jean has vintage Levis details, with a bit of Wrangler thrown in!! a complete Frankenstein jean but would only be noticed as such by denim nerds, and pass as normal to everyone else.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

safe to say no one would have thought about their jeans in terms of which year/model back then....you'd prolly just get what was the current jean at the time, which would have been the 1966 501 or the 1967 505 (zipper fly). but i do think it's interesting that Roy and Choco mention how important it was to have the selvedge showing, since you figure at that era many jeans were made from selvedge denim so I'm a bit impressed that was a conscious thought on their part. Unlike today, where it's highly doubtful someone wears selvedge denim "accidentally"

4. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Brill post Buttons,
    I think Levi Big E was discontinued around 81, so i suppose later 79/80s Skinheads did not see the beauty of showing of the selvage, very very few present day skinheads i see have jeans with the selvage, maybe the look is lost in time, or people cannot afford or just don't give a fcuk.
    As buttons said the fade along the outside of the selvage with the red turn up was so important, We would spend ours ironing along the outside of the selvage to speed up the fading.
    Yes I am a jean junkie .

This is a pair of PRPS, Made in Japan, with Zimbabwe cotton...every pair is different and numbered, I shrunk the leather back label with the number by accident, The fit is very similar to the Levis we wore in the 60s, maybe a little looser, but parallel.

Note the mauve selvage, nice touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

^^ great Roy. i like the crotch rivet, that's one of those details that I really dig. and yours is a bit different than the norm, even better

and CAMO pocket bags??? fucking rad

the fading along the selvedge is (at least out here) called "railroad tracks"

6. AppyLucy

AppyLucy New Member

BTW, that David Smith podcast posted much earlier is FANTASTIC. Making it through the work day much easier.[​IMG]

7. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Regarding Studio D Artisan, been trying to get a pair for a while now, they look cool, like the Pigs on the back, The whole Japanese Denim thing i'am into, I have a few pairs of Levi Vintage, but they still not like the original 60s stuff, mind you i have a nice pair i bought in Miami Nine years ago, cost me $200 even then.:)

8. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Senior member

By the way, I happened to pass an 'old geezer' outfitter/kiltmaker in Dundee today and saw they had a sale on. Burgundy silk polka-dot scarf for £26. "I'm having that!" I said. And I did.

9. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Well done mate :)

10. bunty

bunty Senior member

Sorry to get away from the fascinating denim debate for a minute, but did you say 'hooped cricket caps' MoM?!

I've heard about one mob wearing fezzes would you believe, but hooped cricket caps? :D That's brilliant!

11. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

Anyone know the best place to get Levi 1947 or 1955s. Looked at the American Classics that Roy mentioned but no prices. I know they are a bit of a wedge, don't mind paying but want to know wheres best.

Thanks.

12. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Try Stuarts of Shepherds Bush, West London Alan, They will have them, check their excellent website also.

13. soundsnpressure

soundsnpressure Senior member

Harry -

Not sure where's best. I buy LVC from whoever and wherever sells it the cheapest and take a gamble. I did see these 1947's recently. No real bargains tho.

http://www.hanon-shop.com/levi-1947-501-jeans-one-i-love.html

http://www.asos.com/search/levi-s-1947?hrd=1&q=levi's+1947

(the asos site is UK but cause styleforum is US the currency is automatically changed to dollars)

The catch is they have the 'Worn' look, which probably isn't suitable, but may be worth a look.

I wear the 67's but have always fancied trying the 47's.

14. harrysgame

harrysgame Senior member

15. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

No hem, folded to inside inside. Perhaps invisible hem but no apparent stitching. I see a lot in old photographs with that style, mostly from the 80's.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. sambarock

sambarock Active Member

I just got back from Tokyo a three weeks ago and I got a bunch stuff including of Studio D Artisan, got a heavy melton wool donkey jacket with a round "club" collar.
    Interesting enough their prices are much more affordable than other brands like United Arrows and Edifice, which are amazing but pricey.

17. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

just want to say, WOW and THANKS. This thread is giving spirit of '69 a run for its money as a skinhead bible.

question for M.O.M: you mention that you came from a middle class background (and I understand that class in the UK at the time was much more divided and static than here in the US.) Did that create any conflict or problems with skins from strictly a working class background?

18. Yankee

Yankee Well-Known Member

Speaking only from what I personally know of NY and the US in the 1990s, docs exploded in popularity, and every scene from punks to lesbians to metal heads to grunge kids were wearing them, and treating them like crap. We took extra care of our boots as a way to differentiate ourselves from everyone else who was wearing them — especially the punks.

19. Man-of-Mystery

They do blue ones too. :)

20. Man-of-Mystery

Very much a '67 Northern mod thing.