• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Ska, Reggae, Bluebeat, Rock Steady even Calypso was 'our' music for a short period of time. A late summer visit to Notting Hill carnival was a yearly highlight. The music press was generally disparaging of the sounds we liked. Middle class journalists didn't understand white working class kids getting into West Indian music and they put us and the music down. Not that it bothered me. What did upset me was how many of my mates also turned against the music only a few years later.

And yes what are Cockney jackets? Are they the ones worn by Adam Faith in 'Budgie'?
That’s really interesting as I was thinking about Skinheads earlier today after an exchange with @covskin on another thread in which we mentioned the 1970s. Skins in the late 70s were often unfairly associated with the National Front and the British Movement and that stereotype persists. While that phenomenon certainly did exist and I remember it, the roots of the skin culture were very much in Ska and other Black and Black-influenced music - therefore very much anti-racist or at least open to Black culture.

I’m a Zero crop now - I’m thin on top anyway and so I just have it cut as short as possible. Too old to be a skin I’m afraid. …😀

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You probably have a Mac, don't you ?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You probably have a Mac, don't you ?

Yeah, I do, but it's in Perth, and I'm in St Andrews. I won't be back home until the 17th.

Andy Preview.jpeg

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Tocklishchap, if you haven't seen it I would recommend Rudeboy: The Trojan Records Story documentary.2018 An unbiased, positive view of early skinheads and the music I refer to.
Bob the Badger, I meant to record it last night as it was on Sky Arts but forgot!!! I’ll watch it on YouTube as it’s something I’ve been wanting to see for some time!
Some of Jon Savage’s books have good cultural background on early skinheads but are more focused on the punk era.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
@Yorky: I especially like the American Vintage MA-1. I have something similar but Navy Blue.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.