• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ancillotti
Hello Man of Mystery, I'm interested in what you said earlier about jungle green trousers causing a stir when you came back up north.
What was it about them that caused the raised eyebrows? Also can you describe the trousers, as over the years I've heard many conflicting tales of which ones they were, surplus stores sold many various army trousers at the time, what were you identifying as the important features that made them "jungle greens"?

I can only say what I remember from S E London. They were plain, olive drab trousers, nothing fancy, no extra pockets, in a fabric maybe a bit more lightweight than modern camo trousers.

What caused a stir, I think, was only that they hadn't seen them before, and it was quite a surprise to see one of their old mob in something different.

M-o-M

Ancillotti

Reaction score
MoM thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I didn't word that very well what I meant was what made them stand out from the trousers that they expected you to be wearing, not mohair/ LEVIS, wider, distinctive green, what would've previously have been seen as workwear being worn as smart gear, coarser styling (heavy belt loops, large raised seams etc.).
Also can you remember what material they were made from? Wool, cotton (either coarse like denim or smooth like sta prest) or poly cotton (very light weight)?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ancillotti
MoM thanks for the quick reply. Maybe I didn't word that very well what I meant was what made them stand out from the trousers that they expected you to be wearing, not mohair/ LEVIS, wider, distinctive green, what would've previously have been seen as workwear being worn as smart gear, coarser styling (heavy belt loops, large raised seams etc.).
Also can you remember what material they were made from? Wool, cotton (either coarse like denim or smooth like sta prest) or poly cotton (very light weight)?

Like I said, the fabric was similar to modern camo trousers that one would buy in a surplus store - I guess they were cotton - but of a lighter weight and thinner. The style was pretty unremarkable as regards belt loops, seams, width, etc, and they were worn without a crease. In London they were being worn as an occasional alternative to jeans, but up in the North West they had never been seen before - it was that simple fact that made them stand out. In the North West the fashion at the time was almost exclusively for wearing Levis and practically no other kind of strides. I really can't embellish this story any more than that.

gelassenheit

Reaction score
This is an odd question. I've adopted a slightly skinhead look, and wear glasses. I'm curious to know, were there any particular styles of glasses that were popular amongst skins way back when?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gelassenheit
This is an odd question. I've adopted a slightly skinhead look, and wear glasses. I'm curious to know, were there any particular styles of glasses that were popular amongst skins way back when?

Not that I can remember.

Wear what looks good on you.

M-o-M

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
as far as sunglasses go, it seems aviators were/are popular.

I certainly wore them.
smile.gif

gelassenheit

Reaction score
thanks both!

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
I've seen photo of 80s skins wearing NHS glasses, but that would have been out of necessity rather than part of the style. Always thought it was funny that some modern-day skins I knew in Toronto deliberately chose big ugly tortoise-shell glasses to replicate the style.

img_5907_mid.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
<- would not be seen dead in them... would never have been seen dead in them.

dave

Reaction score
op_ari_bk.jpg

I wear these. I've always been partial to the thick black (sometimes dark tortoise) acetate frames. they're a bit severe, but so is the whole look so I think they fit. That coupled with my bowling ball shape and sized head makes them work IMO.

gelassenheit

Reaction score
That's interesting about the NHS glasses, it makes a lot of sense. I guess the equivalent here would be Walmart glasses, I know a few people who have 'slummed it' with them, which I find tasteless to do so cynically.

Something really actionable for me on that is that tortoise-shell has come up in a number of posts, which is what I was leaning towards. I wear Capote-like black frames right now, which I think work, and I just bought some 80s RL polo in brown tortoise-shell that I think will work better.

Nice glasses Dave btw

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
this might be of interest...

so a fellow on another forum posted about the For Life 1460 8i boots in smooth oxblood. When the For Life boots came out there was only black and brown, but turns out they added dark oxblood now. Anyways, him being a connosseur (sic) and having a long history of owning various DMs and Solovair, he was really impressed with the new For Life boot (even tho it is made in Thailand). Everything about the boot is a step up from the normal and even MiE Dms. Higher quality materials, proper double faced eyelets, thicker leather, more supple leather etc. He compared this new color to an old pair of really vintage DMs and the color match is nearly identical. Looked good so I took a punt since I've always been after the "correct" DMs, knowing that the ones I had in the 80s were not the actual authentic oxblood color of the 60s boots. Turns out these are very close and a much nicer shade of oxblood than the MiE.

For $150 you get a boot that will be fixed or replaced for as long as you own them. And they look awesome. This is the boot that DM should be making as standard, not as a special higher end product.

forlifedm.jpg

JonnyTheBoy

Reaction score
Hey lads, I have been wearing skin inspired clothing for the past couple of years, e.g. button downs, jeans, brogues, and all that. However, I haven't been able to find anybody that makes reasonably thin braces, 1/2 inch, to an inch wide. I am only able to find damned seatbelts. If someone could refer me to a maker of these it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are DM's still good quality? I haven't had any experience with them, but had read the quality was not worth the price.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonnyTheBoy
Also, are DM's still good quality? I haven't had any experience with them, but had read the quality was not worth the price.

why don't you just read the post right above yours?
facepalm.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads