• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We never read any of those books but had a vague awareness of the covers from years earlier. For us the semi-forgotten 'suedehead' was something you could be when you couldn't be a skinhead any more.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We never read any of those books but had a vague awareness of the covers from years earlier. For us the semi-forgotten 'suedehead' was something you could be when you couldn't be a skinhead any more.
You’re not missing much.
My mate got into them aged around 19 which I’m sure was above the demographic they were aimed at. He insisted on lending them to me and pestered me to read them. There was skinhead, suedehead, bootboy, problies a few others then one about a revival Mod who aside from wearing a parka and riding a Vespa was just another in the line of brainless thugs. Exploitative bollocks.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Those books really were only about sex and violence. There would be a couple paragraphs here and there about style but other than that... Pretty much made skinheads and all other similar subcultures seem like depraved bigots.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I don't usually like bombers, but that is a really nice piece, monkeys lookin good too.
Have to say I'm digging the monkey boots more than most boots I've worn. Been getting plenty of compliments on them too. I'm sure we've discussed this already but do we know why they're called monkey boots?

derum

Reaction score
Those books really were only about sex and violence. There would be a couple paragraphs here and there about style but other than that... Pretty much made skinheads and all other similar subcultures seem like depraved bigots.
Spot on. They weren’t representative of any of the subcultures they portrayed, but 12/13 year olds didn’t understand that, Reading about sex and violence at bedtime = wet dreams....

I wore my DJ loafers this morning. I know a lot of people decry them, but they are comfortable and in my mind, an accurate flashback to what I wore in the 70’s.

1602872512789.jpeg

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the look of old motorbikes, but I wouldn't have one, but I also got (and still do) peeved when people assumed that you had to have a scooter to be a mod, and only listen to certain types of music, and to some extent wear only certain types of clothes.
Yes I have had several scooters over the years, from the age of seventeen up to my mid forties and loved riding them, but my musical tastes are very catholic and have been all my life, and I've also worn clothes that didn't fit in with the "mod police" mentality.
Am I a mod now, have I ever been a mod, to some people the answer may be no, to some yes. I stopped attending mod events, weekenders over 20 years ago, because in my opinion it was becoming a fancy dress, and competition who had the best scooter. When I look at photos of supposed mod do's nowadays it looks even worse.
From the time l started work and ceratinly right through the 20thC , l always seemed to be working beside motorcycle owners . These guys were not greasers per se but just ordinary guys who happened to own motorcycles and were often into my kind of music . Usually they were keen for me to ride their bikes and subsequently l had driven a motorbike before l got my first go on a scooter .
There were a lot more bikes back then and scooters of course and most guys had either a car , a bike or a scooter .
I have driven 250's ,500's, and even a 900 . A very good friend of mine bought what he called a 'plastic bullet'(Fireblade) but that particular bike , he refused to allow me to drive .
I don't have a problem with people who own motorbikes , it's the grebos that tend to drive big British bikes , wear cut-offs , eggshell helmets and fancy themselves as some sort of hells angel outlaw. They want to make you wrong for having a scooter by doing it and possibly yourself a mischief.
Some of those guys , l am still in touch with , a guy who owns a BMW R80 . He has a great record collection and we often exchanged records , and whilst l like to think my own music collection is eclectic l don't like what grebos listen to as a staple.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the time l started work and ceratinly right through the 20thC , l always seemed to be working beside motorcycle owners . These guys were not greasers per se but just ordinary guys who happened to own motorcycles and were often into my kind of music . Usually they were keen for me to ride their bikes and subsequently l had driven a motorbike before l got my first go on a scooter .
There were a lot more bikes back then and scooters of course and most guys had either a car , a bike or a scooter .
I have driven 250's ,500's, and even a 900 . A very good friend of mine bought what he called a 'plastic bullet'(Fireblade) but that particular bike , he refused to allow me to drive .
I don't have a problem with people who own motorbikes , it's the grebos that tend to drive big British bikes , wear cut-offs , eggshell helmets and fancy themselves as some sort of hells angel outlaw. They want to make you wrong for having a scooter by doing it and possibly yourself a mischief.
Some of those guys , l am still in touch with , a guy who owns a BMW R80 . He has a great record collection and we often exchanged records , and whilst l like to think my own music collection is eclectic l don't like what grebos listen to as a staple.
I call Fireblades type of bikes crotch rockets.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call Fireblades type of bikes crotch rockets.
My buddie who had that bike had a twin brother who bought the exact same bike , he had it for 3wks and got done , for doing 108mph on the A1.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked in Emergency Medicine with paramedics in a previous life. They brought a lad in once who went over the bars on one of them and left his balls scraped on the tarmac. Gruesome stuff. ‘Speed Kills’!!
Yuch!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crotch rockets don't come much crotch-rocketier than my jet-black BMW R1200S with loads of go-faster carbon fibre and a racing exhaust!
:bounce2:

Cutdown69

Reaction score
My mate Todd had a Honda Fire blade... Scared the sh*t out of me when he took me on the back.. He pulled a wheelie without warning and I did a 180 flip.. Staring at the back tyre with my hands still stuck in the cissy bar

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Met the wife's cousin today , he was telling me about his Suzuki 750 doing 100mph in second gear , in about 3.5 seconds

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads