1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Jason the only one's we wore was the Cotton/Poly blend, Never saw the jean style Staprest back then, I was also curious going into Stuarts cloths store here in West London a couple of weeks ago they stock the jean style Staprest, when i asked him about the original StaPrest he never had a clue.

Maybe its a American thing as even today over here I have not seen Skinheads wearing the jean style Staprest.

The other thing some present day Skinheads wear Farah staprest which was never worn back in the 60s.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Excellent thread here ladies and gents, it's a great read!
    I joined this forum specifically because of this thread. I'm an older skin(36) from Boston--- well not as old as summa you fellas(no disrespect). I've been sartorially-inclined since I was a kid, skinhead since I was 15 in 1990, got into it of course through other skinheads... and not the internet. For the last seven to eight years my style leanings have been dabbling a bit more towards "casual", with of course the full realization that casual/dresser doesn't really translate here Stateside. I dig a lot of the casual labels(or at least some of the styles they produce) and the quality of their kit. I believe I'm probably stuck in a Casual rut in a lifetime of skinhead-ism, if you catch my drift. I've always loved the skinhead style and still wear a Baracuta, jeans, and brogues or desert boots(yeah, straddling the line here), but mix it up with a C.P. Company Mille Miglia or a well-made 60/40 parka. The skinhead aesthetic-- I still dig it. The homogenized, caricaturized, cookie-cutter skin look, you can chuck that in the old bin. I'm well into rare soul, '70s rock and roll(just saw Ian Hunter the other day... age 72 and still an amazing singer/performer!), Punk and Oi!, Aussie rock like AC/DC and Rose Tattoo, and of course the American stuff like Hardcore and early rock and roll.
    It's good to see some of the original set still keeping it sharp and interested in style.

J(Get Smart), you still doing bespoke suiting? Long time no speak.

-Matt

3. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

Levi Cords, The other week i was at the London Skinhead reunion, some 80s Skinhead thought it was amusing i was wearing cords, he never seen a Skinhead wearing them before, I had to point out that original Skinheads wore Levi Cords, I had most colours at the time, Ice Blue, Grey, Beige.

This is the said Cords, Made by Samurai Japan, On Original Levi Specs.

[​IMG]

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Nowt wrong with cords, big fan here.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

the Levis repro staprest I wear are not the jean style....I had always thought they were "off" in that regard (not being jean style), but perhaps it turns out they are more "correct" than I thought.

Matt! what's up man, yea long time no talk. nice to see you on this board. and yep. still doing Thick as Thieves, going well.

:slayer:

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I get what you're asking, but it's one of those things where if you have to ask if you are one, then you arent, if that makes sense. out of curiosity, what spurred you to dress like a skinhead without ever having gotten into the scene? I've known other guys like that, dress very typical skinhead, but aren't. never quite understood that.

7. herzzreh

herzzreh Senior member

Always wore hair short. I've been wearing combat boots to work for over ten years, so wearing them just seemed natural, way more natural than trainers and such. Rolling up the pants... also seemed natural for some reason. I don't know... the whole look is just CLEAN. Also, noticed that people seem to give you less shit when you're dressed like that, so that must've played some role. Honestly, I didn't just wake up one day and say whoa.. I'll dress like a skin - it just happened.

In my case, I was subconsciously influenced by skinheads, I think.

8. War Beast

War Beast Member

Greetings all, I am a 19 y/o WN skinhead (trust me I'm not here to talk politics so please no "nazi bashing" [​IMG]) I have read through the majority of this thread and LOVE the trad look. TBH most of my fellow WN's just wear jeans, a band shirt, docs, and braces.. ALL THE TIME. I like to switch it up with a Fred Perry, Ben Sherman, or my Lonsdale Harrington. :)

any advice on where to find some reasonably priced FP's on Ben Shermans?

9. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

How about you just go away?

10. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

What I don't get lately about this thread, people are coming on here saying they have read the whole thread, Then asking questions about stuff that have already been covered.:D

1 person likes this.
  11. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

yes, esp since we just put up some links to Fred Perry/Ben Sherman a couple pages ago, so that's quite recent

12. DrBassie

DrBassie Well-Known Member

Thought the same thing.

13. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Indeed. The fact is that jobs were plentiful. You could leave one and get another in the morning. That is why I do not consider it as bleak a time as you seemed to suggest in your initial posts.

Many people did not have foreign holidays and cars - but there was less to lose and things just kept getting better for another decade or so.

14. Lasttye

Lasttye Senior member

I do believe Britain was bleak up until the late 80s, Around West Kilburn in the 60s/70s their was still WW11 bomb sites,
    Outside London was even worse, You look around London today its a great place to live, Most the Northern Cities also look great. Life is a lot easier, well up until Three years ago that is, :)

15. War Beast

War Beast Member

Like I said I read the majority of the thread, from beginning forward not vice versa.. I'll check back through the last few pages and look for the links though for sure.

There is a ton of stuff I've never even heard of before throughout this thread so I find it quite fascinating.

16. War Beast

War Beast Member

Too bad it isn't like that nowadays. A job is hard to come by and god forbid if you don't dress like some preppy douche bag or sag your pants.. Employers will turn a cold shoulder on you. It is pretty odd since like previously stated being a skinhead used to be THE working class look.

17. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

today's working class is unfortunately infatuated with "urban ghetto culture" so any aspirations are dictated by what they see on Mtv

18. War Beast

War Beast Member

definitely agreed.. I was actually told I couldn't wear my docs to work because they were boots. They would prefer I go buy some Jordyn's or K-Swiss [​IMG]

OH! and regarding buying any skin clothing I always check ebay.. I bought my 14 eye, steel toe, Made in England, black docs for 60 bucks. They were purchases in 1998 but were never used due to the seller not fitting them. That was a great buy IMO since you can't even get steel toe, M.I.E., 14 eye docs anymore.

19. Kingstonian

We will have to agree to disagree. It is fundamental difference though that colours everything else.

Wembley was a neat little suburb with good shops. Now it is a desperate place. Brent Cross killed the shops and mass immigration changed its whole character, so it is like a foreign town. Agreed that Kilburn and Kensal Green got yuppified - but who can afford to live there now?

Tube and rail system worked well in the 60s & 70s. No closures or engineering works. Roads were less crowded. Everything seemed to work, including most of the population.

20. Kingstonian

Globalisation means many of the jobs that used to be available have been shipped overseas. Nobody did much to stop it and politicians lied and said 'flexibility' would benefit everybody - instead of just the companies getting cheap labour.

Supply and demand means employers can pick and choose. If there were as many jobs as in previous decades, how you dress would not make much difference.