• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Petch and a few of the York SC had travelled down to Brighton for the Quadrophenia filming...Tom's a real nice bloke
I got my brothers Fred Perry & DM hand me downs, when he went down the casual route...bleached denim, highlights, Lacoste polo shirts and a Ford Capri
Never ventured much out of York other than a few visits to Leeds to see bands and there was a club near the station (The Cockpit?) that had a mod kinda of night
I did a gig in the one-in 12 club in Bradford once...they sold whizz behind the bar...!

PS just head news about Norman Hunter...sad news

I used to DJ occasionally at the Cockpit, under the dark arches, the weekly Friday night was called Brighton Beach, the main room was an indie type of room, and occasionally had bands on, the smaller room was the mod/60s room, where I DJ'd. The main DJ was Mark Ellis, who has now moved to London, it attracted a lot of people from far and wide, and it then took the name to Sheffield and Tee side, and Leicester for monthly nights. The Leeds night didn't open until 11 O'clock and closed at 5 in the morning, so we would all meet around 9 in a few of the smaller bars, and started to powder our noses, I usually didn't drink, as I normally drove to Leeds.
Had some brilliant nights their from its opening night around 1993/4 until about 98/99.
Saturday we used to travel around to club nights Birmingham, and all nighters in London etc. It wasn't unusual for me to not sleep from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon, depending on the shift that I was working, sometimes I had to wait until Monday to kip if I was working a Sunday night shift.

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news about "bite yer legs" Hunter, He used to strike fear into the players from the opposite side, having said that most of the Leeds team did at that time.
My gran lived opposite Terry Coopers parents in Brotherton and when we visited I used to go over and have a kick around with him if he was visiting.

Midnight2six

Reaction score
May I ask where your UK flu figure is from? I'm on your side of the debate regarding Covid-19, as it were, but I've seen significantly higher flu death rate estimates.
I got my figure from The Vaccine Knowledge Project by the University of Oxford.

Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 , which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

However most of us realise that Covid 19 is a deadly serious threat and well, as it's been said this isn't the Covid thread.

Last edited:

Midnight2six

Reaction score
Did any of you ever go to the Skinhead all-nighters at Herne Bay? I used to go all the time, got the train down when I was stationed in Aldershot. Saw some great bands there including The Riffs, Hotknives, Loafers, Judge Dredd.

Last edited:

Cutdown69

Reaction score
I used to DJ occasionally at the Cockpit, under the dark arches, the weekly Friday night was called Brighton Beach, the main room was an indie type of room, and occasionally had bands on, the smaller room was the mod/60s room, where I DJ'd. The main DJ was Mark Ellis, who has now moved to London, it attracted a lot of people from far and wide, and it then took the name to Sheffield and Tee side, and Leicester for monthly nights. The Leeds night didn't open until 11 O'clock and closed at 5 in the morning, so we would all meet around 9 in a few of the smaller bars, and started to powder our noses, I usually didn't drink, as I normally drove to Leeds.
Had some brilliant nights their from its opening night around 1993/4 until about 98/99.
Saturday we used to travel around to club nights Birmingham, and all nighters in London etc. It wasn't unusual for me to not sleep from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon, depending on the shift that I was working, sometimes I had to wait until Monday to kip if I was working a Sunday night shift.

That's it, Brighton beach! Nice one, I still remember the large venue being rammed
Sounds like you lived the proper mod/northern soulie type lifestyle. As I'm getting older, I've had this urge to start visiting 100 club allnighters more often (I've only been to 3), I just struggle with staying up without a pick me up.
Have you still got your vinyl collection?

Cutdown69

Reaction score
Did any of you ever go to the Skinhead all-nighters at Herne Bay? I used to go all the time, got the train down when I was stationed in Aldershot. Saw some great bands there including The Riffs, Hor Knives, Loafers, Judge Dredd.

No, but followed the Hotknives around quite a bit, they were kind of 'our' band as they were from our neck of the woods
I've still got some of their vinyl, but tbh it doesn't seem to have aged well...definitely better in a pub

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad news about "bite yer legs" Hunter, He used to strike fear into the players from the opposite side, having said that most of the Leeds team did at that time.
My gran lived opposite Terry Coopers parents in Brotherton and when we visited I used to go over and have a kick around with him if he was visiting.
He represented the Dirty Leeds image. I have cousins from there that support the team. They used to come down to London during school holidays and get billeted with various relatives. There were a lot of them and they were quite competitive. Always slagging London off. We eventually got tired of this and asked ‘What’s so good about Leeds then. What are the attractions?’ There was a pause and they replied ‘ err, well there’s Leeds Town Hall.’ The moaning stopped after that. They always came to us. When we eventually went up there we found they lived in a sh**y area of the city where neighbours go in your back door unannounced - Harehills. They moved out of there into nicer parts and it’s even worse now, although Leeds as a whole has taken a turn for the better.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh Yeah? Ask Sniffer Clark how much fear he struck into R. Pitt at around 3.10 pm on 5th May 1973.

Tough news about Hunter like, supposedly a real gent off the field.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Amphibious lammy
Screenshot_20200419-213334~2.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads