• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone who’s “not defending him” that reads an awful lot like you’re defending him.

I don’t understand why it’s a virtue to ‘not give a **** what people think’ but in any event, in stating that you’re basically agreeing with me. He looks a ******* mess most of the time precisely because he obviously ‘doesn’t give ****’

The rest of your points are straw man arguments. He may not have given himself that title - I never said he did - but for whatever reason he has it and my point being that at least in terms of his tackle for the last many years on my view he certainly hasn’t earned it. Comments about the revival, the other bands and his music are not germane to my original statement that he looks a bloody state. If you believe ‘he ‘can look good when he feels like it’ well of course you’re entitled to your opinion but like I said in my earlier post I can’t remember seeing a pic of him in a dogs age when I thought ‘yeah that looks good’.
Haven't got a clue what yor talking about.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think most would agree on the slightly dodgy nature of Paul Wellers barnet in recent times . The last couple of times l have seen him live he was decidedly casual in a t-shirt or one of his favoured Henley's.

I can't honesty say that l have seen him in his joggy bottoms or his jim-jams and indeed , have no desire to see him dressed in such but l do still enjoy listening to his music even some of the stuff he is doing now , even if his voice has seen better days . He does still wear stuff that we desire , like that monkey jaiket that you bought , and on occaision he does still look good but what he does wear is entirely up to him and personnally l am not here to knock him for it . Each to their own , he has pretty much done his shift as he begins his 6th decade as a performer and is now into overtime. .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He possibly looks older than his actual years but the smoking may contribute to that. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the 79 revival bands, but love this one by the Chords, they were always overlooked as Jam wannabes, saw them about this time in a venue in Leeds, but was ruined by groups fighting inside and out.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the 79 revival bands, but love this one by the Chords, they were always overlooked as Jam wannabes, saw them about this time in a venue in Leeds, but was ruined by groups fighting inside and out.

I would concur with that. .
Secret Affair is possibly the only band l liked more than a couple of their songs .
What we got in the 6ts was far supperior

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would concur with that. .
Secret Affair is possibly the only band l liked more than a couple of their songs .
What we got in the 6ts was far supperior
I agree but the revival mods were, of a different time albeit only a decade or so later. They took some of their influences from the by then dead punk scene, and wanted to smarten up, from that some drifted away and others like myself started to look back, to music and influences. I know mod has always been about "looking forward", but you can't go forward without taking lessons from the past.
Mod is nothing to do with the 6ts, it's about now, having said that I would have much prefered to have been a teenager then, but the scene I was part of was probably better, not just a current fashion thing.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a skinhead - a skinhead - I always thought Weller was a wanker, so nothing's changed.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree but the revival mods were, of a different time albeit only a decade or so later. They took some of their influences from the by then dead punk scene, and wanted to smarten up, from that some drifted away and others like myself started to look back, to music and influences. I know mod has always been about "looking forward", but you can't go forward without taking lessons from the past.
Mod is nothing to do with the 6ts, it's about now, having said that I would have much prefered to have been a teenager then, but the scene I was part of was probably better, not just a current fashion thing.
Whilst I could agree that Mod is about 'now' , it is also primarily a youth culture and moreover, a 6ts youth culture.
About half the music l still listen to is from the 6ts , the other half being music since the 6ts and contemporary stuff.
The vast majority of the clothes l wear have a sixties Mod look to them although most of them were bought in the 21st century. On the whole l still dress in a late 6ts Mod style with the exception of a couple of items and suits that would be more early 6ts.
A lot of people notice me when l am out and l have even had them complement me .

Last edited:

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a skinhead - a skinhead - I always thought Weller was a wanker, so nothing's changed.
Yeah , that doesn't surprise me as l used to think that about you. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit harsh, what is it about him that makes you say this.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit harsh, what is it about him that makes you say this.
It doesn't matter what his critical remark is based on , what is true is that , Weller is a very tallented individual who is still capable of turning out good songs and has done so for 5 decades .
No matter what some may think , you can't unmock a success like that . .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember at the time I was a DJ at a night club in Liverpool. The Chords were due to appear and the place was packed. Unfortunately one of the band got beaten up outside, so they didn't come on. The club owner came up to the DJ pedestal and announced it, but was a bit arsey about it. When he stepped down someone was about to throw a bottle, and it arrived just as I stepped back up and took the mic. It bounced off my cheekbone - didn't half sting!

Unfortunately for the idiot who lobbed it, he was standing right in front of two of the club's security blokes. They took him outside and dismantled him. The owner was impressed by the fact that I just kept on spinning disks with a shiner the size of a plate, that he bunged me an extra twenty quid with my night's pay.

Ayatollah.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads