• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you’re right mate - notice the fabrics. My PoW and Houndstooth ones are a rather unpleasant Poly Viscose blend but I have some light grey and black ones that are Poly cotton and much more like what you’d expect. Cuts are different too with the light grey ones being looser with a high rise, the blacks being slim fit and lower rise.

The best sta pressts I had were sky blue and dark blue from Merc. The model was called ‘Lord John’ from about ten years ago. Of course they’ve since changed the cut, style and fabric so I’ve no idea what Mercs are like now.
Aye, when retailers change their manufacturers, it kind of throws you a bit of a curve.
Like you , l was so pleased with my poly cotton staprest from them that l decided to try a pair of their other trousers . In my case l went for gold and green 'tonic' trousers which were a wee bit of a disappointment but considering how well done by the other trousers l felt that l could suffer it. .

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The covid-19 situation has of course impacted on 'the book', inasmuch as we won't be able to have a bookshop launch. Still dealing with some last-minute glitches, but will let you know when we will go ahead with an online/print-on-demand launch.

Inkss

Reaction score
Well, I've been bored shitless stuck at home with nowt to do. Got a surfeit of bomber jackets and a job lot of vintage patches/insignia etc, so I thought I'd get out the needle and thread and have at one of 'em. (My seamster is shut because of the Boris Bug)
Never gonna wear it, but it was summat to do.
ma11.jpg

patches.jpg

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been bored shitless stuck at home with nowt to do. Got a surfeit of bomber jackets and a job lot of vintage patches/insignia etc, so I thought I'd get out the needle and thread and have at one of 'em. (My seamster is shut because of the Boris Bug)
Never gonna wear it, but it was summat to do.
I wouldn't mind adding a velcro strip, is that what they're called?

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The covid-19 situation has of course impacted on 'the book', inasmuch as we won't be able to have a bookshop launch. Still dealing with some last-minute glitches, but will let you know when we will go ahead with an online/print-on-demand launch.
Well , at least it has not ground to a hault. .

Inkss

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind adding a velcro strip, is that what they're called?
It's an oxygen-mask tab (open on zipper side to clip on the hose) They're usually webbing or leather.
tab.jpg

tab2.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting @Inkss - reminds me of Age of Chance, the members of which used to wear vintage cycling shirts and MA-1s and other military gear covered in patches and pins -
74095E1F-6B16-4623-889B-2994136E26B3.jpeg

I used to get to a conference each year held at a ski resort and the talks were early morning and late evening so you had all day to ski. First couple of times I wore a black MA-1 which has stayed mostly unworn ever since in my cupboard. I then got a CWU-45 which is better suited to the cold but I found that wearing all black on the slopes makes you indistinguishable from anyone else so I plastered a union flag on the back (like a blood chit!) and on the sleeve and an RAF roundel on the right chest. The left chest had a Velcro name plate which I had stamped with my Dad’s name (ex Lancaster pilot). I don’t get to the conference any more and would rather spend holidays scuba diving than ski-ing so that also remains largely unworn too!

Bela Kun

Reaction score
So tell me @Inkss, since you're a bit of an expert, what do I need to mind (in terms of quality, make, etc) when choosing an N2B? And which ones should I avoid?

I know nothing about them, but I've grown increasingly fond of them when visiting southern Europe lately (they're quite common in the 'scene' there). Now I kinda wish I'd got myself one for the winter.

Inkss

Reaction score
As old and as best condition you can find. Older Alpha Ind (pre-'A' logo), Skyline, Lancer, Wisconsin Mfg Co, Rolen, Greenbrier.
Spiewak and Corinth tend to stray from true military-spec/quality.
I always try and find listings where the seller doesn't know what they're selling. Like I've said before, check for someone selling/listing a parka as a parker.
You can check the specs of the jacket by keying in the stock number on the label into a national stock database.
This Alpha is a 1986. The 86 in the 'DLA100-86-C-0431' is the date, and the number above it is the stock number
n2b1.jpg

Yorky

Reaction score
Hope everyone here is staying healthy, not much action here recently, it would be good to see some contributions on the LGO thread, it has been quite busy recently.

Just found these pictures of Mickey Tenner, who has been mentioned on here in the past, a regular at the Scene club and dancer on RSG, and also appears in the MODS book.
A few of the aforementioned, and some of him later. I believe he is living in Oz now and is a keen fisherman, a stark contrast to his exciting days in the clubs of Soho.
IMG_8341.jpg
IMG_8343.jpg
IMG_8345.jpg
IMG_8338.jpg
IMG_8342.jpg
IMG_8340.jpg
IMG_8339.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.