• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was when I was 16, I'm sure.
You may be older than l thought Buddie. .

The law at the time allowed 16-year-olds to ride bikes up to 250cc as long as there were learner plates on the bike. It was the government’s attempt to close this loophole that helped to make mopeds cool.

Getting fizzy with it
In 1971 Ted Heath’s government passed new laws limiting 16-year-olds to bikes with a 50cc engine until they were 17.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If as I suspect you’re a similar vintage to me then it was 50cc only up to age 17.
Vespa did a 50cc version around that time with the trapezium shaped headlight and un-removable side panels. Can’t remember the 100cc version but I’m no expert.
Yeah , the 50cc Vespa you are referring to sounds like the 50 Special which had a 4 speed transmission and a small frame which had a 'door' on the engine side instead of removable panels.
The 100cc replaced the old Vespa 90 , and l believe the 100 cc also benefited from the 4 speed transmission.

In Spain , Motovespa, produced a 125cc in the small frame , the Primavera. That was really quite nippy . I had a pal who raced one on the track. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may be older than l thought Buddie. .

The law at the time allowed 16-year-olds to ride bikes up to 250cc as long as there were learner plates on the bike. It was the government’s attempt to close this loophole that helped to make mopeds cool.

Getting fizzy with it
In 1971 Ted Heath’s government passed new laws limiting 16-year-olds to bikes with a 50cc engine until they were 17.
You're right I got my dates wrong, I bought it two weeks before my 17th birthday, and road it illegally around the streets near home until my birthday.

Inkss

Reaction score
Old small-frame Vespa 50 that's been converted to electric.
vesp.jpg

They reckon it'll do 55mph, which makes it 20mph faster than when it had a 2-stroke.
Six grand is a bit steep though.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old small-frame Vespa 50 that's been converted to electric.
View attachment 1344136
They reckon it'll do 55mph, which makes it 20mph faster than when it had a 2-stroke.
Six grand is a bit steep though.
It looks like a 50n , per the headlamp but neither the 50n or the 50 Special had a glove box as far as l can recall.

Yeah 55mph is impressive . I reckon the Vespa 100cc would do that if the rider wasn't too heavy. .maybe

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff eh?
I like the look of the Vespa but I need to be able to cruise at 70 here. I wish Scomadi would get their distribution over here I’d be well into one of them.
There were rumours of an electric GP from the Far East a few years ago but nothing came of it!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff eh?
I like the look of the Vespa but I need to be able to cruise at 70 here. I wish Scomadi would get their distribution over here I’d be well into one of them.
There were rumours of an electric GP from the Far East a few years ago but nothing came of it!
Yeah maybe they could add some sound affects to one of those and make it sound like Danielle's scooter. .

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a 50n , per the headlamp but neither the 50n or the 50 Special had a glove box as far as l can recall.

Yeah 55mph is impressive . I reckon the Vespa 100cc would do that if the rider wasn't too heavy. .maybe
I was lucky to get 50 MPH downhill if I was lucky out of my Vespa 100, and I was lightweight. It came to a sudden stop though one day when a car pulled out on me and I went into the side of it. The irony of it is he was a retired postman, a Quadrophenia quote springs to mind.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was lucky to get 50 MPH downhill if I was lucky out of my Vespa 100, and I was lightweight. It came to a sudden stop though one day when a car pulled out on me and I went into the side of it. The irony of it is he was a retired postman, a Quadrophenia quote springs to mind.

The 100cc had better acceleration than any 50cc but probably cruised in the 40s

I actually had a post van with the sliding on it pull out on front of me , the door was open and l almost hit the driver.
He drove me to the cop shop to report it . The police asked him who he thought was responsible he said 50-50 , they looked at me and l said it was the postie. .

Yeah watching that bit in Quad" was a bit if a flashback

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 100cc had better acceleration than any 50cc but probably cruised in the 40s

I actually had a post van with the sliding on it pull out on front of me , the door was open and l almost hit the driver.
He drove me to the cop shop to report it . The police asked him who he thought was responsible he said 50-50 , they looked at me and l said it was the postie. .

Yeah watching that bit in Quad" was a bit if a flashback
The bloke that I hit said that I was speeding, which was unlikely as I was going uphill, wish that I'd got the cops in, as he was driving out of a side road which was a dead end, and the only thing up there was the RAF Club, it was 11 O'clock at night and he was probably over the limit. The scooter was declared a right off and I ruined my trench coat. I was probably lucky not to get impaled on my many mirror stems, l actually landed on the other side of his bonnet.
Just at the top of that road, a few months earlier, I skidded in the rain at a junction and demolished an illuminated keep left sign, it was even more embarrassing as all the local punks that knew me were stood on the pavement waiting to cross the road. After they had stopped laughing they came over to see if I was ok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads