• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I'm surprised no ones posted Janette Beckman's photo of the beret clad Islington Twins ? I don't know how to.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are those two lads still around and portraying the look or is that in the distant past?

I’ve seen other pics of them and they’re usually turned out well but not having any twins in my family I find it all a bit sad dressing identically. Same goes for dressing your kids in outfits to match your own.

Never saw Weller in a beret before.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
Are those two lads still around and portraying the look or is that in the distant past?

I’ve seen other pics of them and they’re usually turned out well but not having any twins in my family I find it all a bit sad dressing identically. Same goes for dressing your kids in outfits to match your own.

I believe it was taken in that late 70's or early 80's, around the time Two Tone was at its most popular.

Yorky

Reaction score

I think that it was probably late 70's early 80's, there's some pics of the same lads in parka's and pork pie hats.
I remember being in Leeds back in the 80's one afternoon and I was wearing a French beret and a cream vintage Harrington G4 style, and an older guy came up to me and asked me if I knew if there were any jazz clubs around, funnily enough l did know. I also used to sport a Lancastrian beret ( I know not good for a Yorkshire man).
I currently own 2 Breton berets in black and grey that I got in a Paul Smith sale about 5 years ago, more like a flat cap.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff.
Pics of you wearing the berets?
These days any hat besides a baseball cap is a bold move, berets even bolder. For people a bit anxious about hats they can use the excuse of wearing a panama or fedora for function against the sun, cold and rain but a beret doesn’t have much function that a woollen watch cap can’t eclipse so you’re out there with it being a purely stylish move.
I kinda like the look but not sure it’s for me.

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
While on the subject of berets, lets not forget one of the all time great "street" looks - The Black Panthers. Stephen Shames having taken some of their best photographs.

The Saint

Reaction score
Picked up a N2B for £30/$39. Not really a fan, but they are warm, and it's effin cold here at the moment.
View attachment 1292228
Nice. .
Indeed, a hat comes in handy in the cold too . .l have a few hats including caps , of various styles, a pork pie hat and even a Panama that l inherited from my dad.
However , l haven't owned a beret for about 35 years. .

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40