• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing some film of the Small Faces playing and Kenney Jones was wearing something similar, in bright pink, with his large tie knotted but sat inside his shirt collar rather than the conventional way. That must have been the death knell of the Small Faces as stylish lads and in no time you were seeing Marriott in a psychedelic paisley patterned one piece bell bottom jump suit.
Never seen any photos of Marriott in a one piece, but saw him in dungarees offloading his amps from the back of a transit van outside Rooftop Gardens in Wakefield in about 86. I was their with my old mod mates to see his then band, the packet of 3. We shouted over to him and he came for a chat, and in his broad Cockney accent said what are you dressed up like Mods for, you have gotta move with the times, my mate replied, cos we don't wanna look like you, you scruffy c**t. He laughed it off and we had a bit of banter, and during the concert he played a couple of old Small Faces songs that he introduced them as for all the Mods in the audience.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brilliant clip of the boys playing their debut at the Marque club.

Way ahead of their time, the energy inside there must have been unbelievable, the only gigs I've seen that might have come close were The Jam.

Inkss

Reaction score
Bought a fishtail parka for £15/$20 on ebay.
park3.jpg

Not an original issue one or anything, but better than a lot of repro jobs. Again, another thing I'm not that keen on, but a steal at £10 + £5 postage.
Luckily it was listed without 'Mod' 'Scooter' 'Weller' 'Northern Soul' and the other usual keywords in the description that give the game away.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen any photos of Marriott in a one piece, but saw him in dungarees offloading his amps from the back of a transit van outside Rooftop Gardens in Wakefield in about 86. I was their with my old mod mates to see his then band, the packet of 3. We shouted over to him and he came for a chat, and in his broad Cockney accent said what are you dressed up like Mods for, you have gotta move with the times, my mate replied, cos we don't wanna look like you, you scruffy c**t. He laughed it off and we had a bit of banter, and during the concert he played a couple of old Small Faces songs that he introduced them as for all the Mods in the audience.
I have heard other originals , including Roger Daltrey talking about moving on , and in a way they are right and l suppose it's just that we prefer the style of the Mods to anything else since .
I met Daltrey when he was in the long hair era and my buddie asked him why he wasn't a Mod anymore , Daltrey said ' I can't be a Mod all of my life ' and then laughed . That's what was real for him and l didn't have a problem with that , in fact l'm not sure that Daltrey was ever a Mod but certainly a lot of Mods liked has music. .

As far as Stevie goes , the last time I saw him was on one of those music shows like the Tube and he was wearing those same dungarees l believe. .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this original 60s covered-plackett BD for sale on ebay
View attachment 1297944

Seller wants £100+ for it.
Not for me in that condition.
Wow , in the pic , the pocket looks huge . I feel that you could get a far better , brand new shirt from somewhere like DNA for a good bit less. .

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a fishtail parka for £15/$20 on ebay.
View attachment 1298003

Not an original issue one or anything, but better than a lot of repro jobs. Again, another thing I'm not that keen on, but a steal at £10 + £5 postage.
Luckily it was listed without 'Mod' 'Scooter' 'Weller' 'Northern Soul' and the other usual keywords in the description that give the game away.
. .from the pics it does look like a decent M1951 repro. .

Of course a real M-51 would go for a lot more ; even the humble M-64 seems to be like hens teeth now. .

Inkss

Reaction score
I've seen some pretty tatty examples of M-51s going for ridiculous prices. You used to be able to pick them up in surplus stores for next to nothing.

andyf

Reaction score
Brilliant clip of the boys playing their debut at the Marque club.

Way ahead of their time, the energy inside there must have been unbelievable, the only gigs I've seen that might have come close were The Jam.

Great band. And they looked the dogs too. Pity that sleazebag Arden didn’t pay em properly.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen some pretty tatty examples of M-51s going for ridiculous prices. You used to be able to pick them up in surplus stores for next to nothing.
Indeed , l remember those days when you could go into a shop and they had piles of M1951 . Who would have believed that they would now change hands for around £300 for half decent one , considering that it is going to be at least 50yrs old now. .

I bought a deadstock M64 with a real fur hood(not the usual white nylon ****) for 100 sterling . .a good example of an M64 but still not quite as good as the M51. I passed up the chance to buy a mint M48 about 8yrs ago , now l would buy it . .but

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads