• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Saint

Reaction score
I bought a pair of burgundy "sta press" from a brilliant shop in Leeds called Class in about 1981 which only sold Mod style clothes generally. I wanted to wear them at a Christmas do in Wakefield which was an unofficial school party at a club.
They needed taking up so I asked my mam to get on the job. Unfortunately while she was doing them she had to answer the door, came back and cut the hem off the same leg again, making them now about an inch and half shorter than they were meant to be. I intended to wear them with some bowling shoes, but they looked ridiculous and ended up wearing monkey boots. The club had a dress code that wouldn't allow boots and so ended up going back home and sulking for days.
I would wager that nowadays they wouldn't be able to turn you away on account of the boots due to the whole 'inclusive politically correctness they have now

Yorky

Reaction score
They probably thought that I looked like a trouble causer with my crew cut, which I wasn't. I was just pissed off as I'd had my eye on a lass and was going to chance my arm with her, never did get into any hanky panky with her. But having said that seeing her around about 40 years later, l think that I had a lucky escape.

Last edited:

Newton heath

Reaction score
I’ve been watching some of the old Hazell tv series on the talking pictures channel , that is some eye opener on fashion especially the Lionel’s🤭

The Saint

Reaction score
They probably thought that I looked like a trouble causer with my crew cut, which I wasn't. I was just pissed off as I'd had my eye on a lass and was going to chance my arm with her, never did get into any hanky panky her. But having said that seeing her around about 40 years later, l think that I had a lucky escape.
I totally get that . I would imagine there are one or two of us on here who have experienced similar great escapes. .

I recall dancing with this bird one night at a club and after the dance I couldn't find her again but later on l met the girl l married .
Couple of months later l am at a different venue with my buddie and he picks up the bird l couldn't find again .
After 2 nights out with her , he dumped her and told me that the girl was a psycho. 🤔🙀

Inkss

Reaction score
I’ve been watching some of the old Hazell tv series on the talking pictures channel , that is some eye opener on fashion especially the Lionel’s🤭
There's some excellent stuff on Talking Pictures. Plenty of obscure old British stuff as well as classics and 60s 'kitchen sink' stuff, and some great little short docs between the programmes.
Pretty impressive for a small family-run operation out of Watford.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They probably thought that I looked like a trouble causer with my crew cut, which I wasn't. I was just pissed off as I'd had my eye on a lass and was going to chance my arm with her, never did get into any hanky panky with her. But having said that seeing her around about 40 years later, l think that I had a lucky escape.
My only experience of Wakefield was getting on one of the twenty busses from Carnegie to go to the Christmas doo at the Rooftop Gardens. It was on in late November which happened to be around my birthday. For happy hour you got a free pint if you bought one so everyone just passed their freebies on to me.
Ended up chundering in a carrier bag on the bus home!
Still went back the next year.
And the next!

Yorky

Reaction score
My only experience of Wakefield was getting on one of the twenty busses from Carnegie to go to the Christmas doo at the Rooftop Gardens. It was on in late November which happened to be around my birthday. For happy hour you got a free pint if you bought one so everyone just passed their freebies on to me.
Ended up chundering in a carrier bag on the bus home!
Still went back the next year.
And the next!
We could have crossed paths, l saw Steve Marriott there with his band the Packet of Three, in about 1984.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would have been November 86, 87 and 88 when I was at college in Leeds. The place was famous for its light show which it displayed early on to Frankie Goes To Hollywood music.

Impressive club like (but why Wakefield of all places?)

The Saint

Reaction score
Reckon the pretty “un - pc” Sweeny, gotta be in the running with some dodgy Lionel’s and other horrid 70s clobber.
There are probably a raft of shows we enjoyed in the 7ts that will never see the light of day presently , this side of the current pc brigade. .

Newton heath

Reaction score
Unfortunately due to one just one snowflake complaint talking pictures channel have to put a disclaimer about certain words and old attitudes before their programmes

The Saint

Reaction score
Unfortunately due to one just one snowflake complaint talking pictures channel have to put a disclaimer about certain words and old attitudes before their programmes
Ffs , the world has gone mad l tell ye. .

Yorky

Reaction score
My website is finally up and running! Only 4 items on at the moment but more to come, shirts, pants, and footwear will be up in the next few weeks. Let me know if you have any suggestions as it may still need to be ironed out a bit.
The picture on the homepage reminds me of the front cover of The Style Councils, Our Favourite Shop album.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 117 15.8%
  • 31 - 40