• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My website is finally up and running! Only 4 items on at the moment but more to come, shirts, pants, and footwear will be up in the next few weeks. Let me know if you have any suggestions as it may still need to be ironed out a bit.

It's like a John Simons cultural exchange!

Where did you source that Tattersall button-down? I remember late-mid-60s mods wearing them with knitted ties.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
It's like a John Simons cultural exchange!

Where did you source that Tattersall button-down? I remember late-mid-60s mods wearing them with knitted ties.

It was remanence the factory had. I really love this fabric.
Shame I don't know where to get more of it.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was remanence the factory had. I really love this fabric.
Shame I don't know where to get more of it.

There are plenty of shirts in Tat check in 'country clothing' shops in the UK, but usually baggy and with the wrong kind of collar. Next time I see one I'll look at the label and let you know what I find - you may be able to ask them where they get the cloth from and make something up from that. On the other hand, they may tell you to take a proverbial!

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
There are plenty of shirts in Tat check in 'country clothing' shops in the UK, but usually baggy and with the wrong kind of collar. Next time I see one I'll look at the label and let you know what I find - you may be able to ask them where they get the cloth from and make something up from that. On the other hand, they may tell you to take a proverbial!

Appreciate the detective work MoM.

Btw did mods and/or skinheads/suedeheads wear any flannel shirts? I know there were those striped flannel grandad shirts. What about tartan flannel button-down shirts? Did Ben Sherman or other companies produce any?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as far as I know. The Bens were Oxford weave, and the cheaper brands (Jaytex, Brutus) were... well... whatever.

And no one I knew in that era ever wore a grand-dad shirt.

I had a years-old Madras I used to wear sometimes.

pt digging.jpg

Natty Pinstripe

Reaction score
I have no memories of anyone wearing flannel shirts and kind of have to keep from laughing at the thought. As for grandad shirts - you mean collar less correct. I only recall white ones at the very beginning, before it became widespread.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont recall flannel shirts or collarless shirts ever being de rigueur for Mods . I recall the so called grandad shirt being a fashion item for men and women at some point in the 7ts( maybe around the time of the Simon shirt) .
In the 9ts l went to buy a suit and the assistant said that l could buy a grandad shirt to go along with it . .????

Hey MoM , are you doing some archeology in the pic ?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey MoM , are you doing some archeology in the pic ?

That's right. It was summer of 1969, and for something unusual to do I got a place on a youth camp in the foothills of the Taunus mts in Germany, with an international bunch. We were digging the site of a supposed Roman camp. We hardly turned up a button, but right where you see me in that pic I'm about to unearth a Medieval coin.

Most of the time I hung out with some French girls, two of whom spent much of the time discussing how much they disliked Germans. Rather daft of them to come to Germany, then! The third one was kinda my girlfriend for the duration.

Part way through the fortnight I came down with acute bronchitis and was confined to bed. our accommodation was in a school classroom, and we had camp beds, so it wasn't exactly bliss. When I felt a bit better, I was given the duty of wheeling our food from the kitchens of the local hospital. I had a relapse on the way home - I remember getting on a train, but have no recollection how I got back to England.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's right. It was summer of 1969, and for something unusual to do I got a place on a youth camp in the foothills of the Taunus mts in Germany, with an international bunch. We were digging the site of a supposed Roman camp. We hardly turned up a button, but right where you see me in that pic I'm about to unearth a Medieval coin.

Most of the time I hung out with some French girls, two of whom spent much of the time discussing how much they disliked Germans. Rather daft of them to come to Germany, then! The third one was kinda my girlfriend for the duration.

Part way through the fortnight I came down with acute bronchitis and was confined to bed. our accommodation was in a school classroom, and we had camp beds, so it wasn't exactly bliss. When I felt a bit better, I was given the duty of wheeling our food from the kitchens of the local hospital. I had a relapse on the way home - I remember getting on a train, but have no recollection how I got back to England.
Interesting stuff , my man.
I thought you were about to unearth an almost forgotten but much loved '45 from days gone by. .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads