• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd have a Scomadi. I'd have a lecky Cezeta. Wouldn't get rid of my Beemer, though.

Newton heath

Reaction score
Saville used to open a garden fete for the little sisters of the poor in newton heath every summer ,in those days everyone thought he was weird but great , it just shows ,

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
No sweat. He was okay, there was a bunch of us, no bad vibes. At that time he had a rep for wandering hands if you happened to be a girl and got in a taxi with him, but that sort of thing was common.

The programme I took part in was recorded in Broadcasting House, and it was a discussion about young people travelling. I can't remember how or why I was invited onto it, but my contribution was about hitch-hiking. I used to hitch-hike a lot - that was mainly how I managed to get from London up to Blackpool and back - and I used to get picked up because I had short hair. Then the newspapers got hold of "Skinhead" and suddenly I found no one would pick me up any more. That's what I was talking about.

Really the only bad feeling I got about that day was when the news broke later about his abuse of children, and I thought "Sh*t, I was in the same room with that bloke! I talked to him!" Not afraid for myself, but just knowing I was in the same room with someone who systematically did what he did.
I wasn't on about saville but meeting Scargill haha, Saville always gave me weird vibes not because he was an eccentric but he just seemed off. There has been alot of eccentrics who are decent people and some who were ''normal'' who turned out to be monsters.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't on about saville but meeting Scargill haha, Saville always gave me weird vibes not because he was an eccentric but he just seemed off. There has been alot of eccentrics who are decent people and some who were ''normal'' who turned out to be monsters.
Funny how back then there was a fear / revulsion of gays but people like Savile were just written off as weird / eccentric.

Now quite rightly there’s a lot more acceptance of gays and all-too-late outing of disgusting monsters like Savile and Cyril Smith who were given a free hand and blind eyes to perpetrate their filth and ruin countless lives.

Anyway what about those new monkey boots eh?

Yorky

Reaction score
I met Scargill when I worked for the National Coal Board, it was at a debate that I attended at Wakefield theatre, in about 1987, not long after the miners strike. The debate was about Coal V Nuclear, and I went with a load of my college mates, the panel was Scargill and a bloke from the Coal Board arguing the case for Coal and two blokes from the Nuclear industry, one of which was a professor.
Scargill was very eloquent throughout the debate and obviously was very passionate about the subject, it seemed to be at a bit of a stalemate when Scargill reached into his pocket and brought out a piece of coal, and said to the Nuclear guys, I can put this in my mouth, can you do the same with depleted Uranium, and proceeded to do so. He got the loudest applauds of the day.
There was a queue of people afterwards wanting to talk to Scargill, but I got the chance to shake his hand and congratulate him on his talk. The one thing that sticks in my mind from that day was one of my college mates snoring loudly and someone being asked to wake him up.

The Saint

Reaction score
Saville used to open a garden fete for the little sisters of the poor in newton heath every summer ,in those days everyone thought he was weird but great , it just shows ,
Never liked the guy , l recall watching Top of the Pops in the 6ts and mother saying when Sav*lle came on "he's disgusting ". She used to ask me to switch him off . The shocking thing was , loads of other celebs knew about him and kept schtum. .

The Saint

Reaction score
Funny how back then there was a fear / revulsion of gays but people like Savile were just written off as weird / eccentric.

Now quite rightly there’s a lot more acceptance of gays and all-too-late outing of disgusting monsters like Savile and Cyril Smith who were given a free hand and blind eyes to perpetrate their filth and ruin countless lives.

Anyway what about those new monkey boots eh?
Aye exactly , which ones Rod?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aye exactly , which ones Rod?
I think (hope) that good time Rod was a king muff chaser but hopefully nothing too out of bounds.
I do feel bad for him like, due to a series of ill-advised Eklund-inspired spandex ‘n cheetah skin outfits in the seventies he seems unable to shake off that dodgy image despite a series of enviable looking suits in the forty-odd years since ‘‘Blondes Have More Fun’ and ‘Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?’ And as a result is destined to never appear on any ‘Best Dressed’ lists.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think (hope) that good time Rod was a king muff chaser but hopefully nothing too out of bounds.
I do feel bad for him like, due to a series of ill-advised Eklund-inspired spandex ‘n cheetah skin outfits in the seventies he seems unable to shake off that dodgy image despite a series of enviable looking suits in the forty-odd years since ‘‘Blondes Have More Fun’ and ‘Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?’ And as a result is destined to never appear on any ‘Best Dressed’ lists.
Think he was asking about the monkey boots?

pressuredrop

Reaction score
Yeah, tell us which pair of Monkey Boots you're now secretly coveting TWD, you're fooling no one on here!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tell us which pair of Monkey Boots you're now secretly coveting TWD, you're fooling no one on here!
Haha I fuckin hate monkey boots!
I’m baffled by their popularity.
Worn by girls and kids whose parents wouldn’t or couldn’t buy them Doc Martens round ours when I was a bairn.
Never see a grown man wearing them in the flesh!

Yorky

Reaction score
Love my Monkey boots and I have been wearing them on and off for at least nearly 40 years. They were also very popular with mods as well as skins, a better alternative to trainers if you ask me. Think I've got a photo of me somewhere wearing a pair in the mid 80s, I will dig it out and post it.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.