• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Reminds me of some american skins i have encountered on the net saying being a skin is for life and they are late 40's, early 50s. Most of them are ultra aggressive and still act like they are 16-17 years old, and see anyone who doesn't like oi music and booze as a ''poser'', when in fact they are the biggest posers themselves.

What i don't mind is older fit goth ladies...yes please.
If you throw on a crombie and black sta-prest, you can probably pull at a goth night. I remember when I was a teenager I had on this outfit and someone mistook me for goth.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I used to go to an eclectic nightclub in the mid eighties that was also frequented by a lot of goths. Decent music like Banshees, Cure, Bauhaus, Death Cult, etc. Some of the girls looked great and patterned themselves after Siouxsie, Patricia Morrison (Gun Club / Sister’s of Mercy) Cleo from the March Violets, Joan Jett etc.
Now when I see goth girls they look like obese social misfits with acne and facial piercings zonked out on anti anxiety pills and wearing those hideous black bell bottom jeans with a load of crap hanging off them. What happened?
They did look better in the 80s, better than most skins of the time to be honest imo, my mam was one in the 80s but dresses more 1940s now. Siouxsie Sioux still looks alright now. i do like the music like the sisters of mercy, fields of the nephilim, bauhaus etc. Mostly discovered it from my mam in my teens and liked reggae from my dad when i was younger, strange mix haha.

They do look a bit harsh now and less elegant than they were, i guess thats true with any subculture.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
If you throw on a crombie and black sta-prest, you can probably pull at a goth night. I remember when I was a teenager I had on this outfit and someone mistook me for goth.
I got mistaken for a teddy boy when i was a suedehead, i nearly pulled a goth bird once when i was a skin but i was too pissed at the time.

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
I got mistaken for a teddy boy when i was a suedehead, i nearly pulled a goth bird once when i was a skin but i was too pissed at the time.
I was at an adicts concert a few years ago standing outside the club. Loads of people out there all skins, punks, and rockers. These college kids walked by and said something like, "what are all these hippies doing out here?"
Just goes to show that to normies it's hard to differentiate between the styles. Ironically they all look the same IMO🙄

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grown-out crop. Oh, I wish, I wish! I have had to embrace the cueball!

Today I went to pick up my ID card for the Uni of St Andrews. I wore my G9. I don't think I'll do that again - not in that town - it feels a bit too 'golf' for that context.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grown-out crop. Oh, I wish, I wish! I have had to embrace the cueball!

Today I went to pick up my ID card for the Uni of St Andrews. I wore my G9. I don't think I'll do that again - not in that town - it feels a bit too 'golf' for that context.
Yeah but by all evidence it seems that you used to be a ginge so becoming a baldie is just nature rebalancing itself!

When we were home in 2010 we visited my brother in Airdrie. We watched the last day of the open and the next day had a drive to St Andrews. The course was opening up to the public again and we walked right by the 18th fairway. There were loads of these daft Japanese tourists posing for pictures on the little footbridge while balls were blasting past their heads at lethal speed!

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hair was brown-ish, my beard was a touch ginge.

It's only in St Andrews (or Gleneagles, for that matter) where I won't wear my G9. Anywhere else, I would. Silly, but it's just a feeling. In St A the Town/Gown/Golf trichotomy is very marked. Actually Town/Gown/Golf/Japanese-tourist split, really.

On Wednesday I'm away over to Stirling to meet an academic acquaintance from America. She's over here for the Solheim Cup, so I'm not wearing anything remotely golf then either!

The Saint

Reaction score
Maybe in Boston...
I turned up at work a few years ago , for meeting , l was told l could wear what l want. This was when l was working for a well known UK brand .I walked in wearing stone staprest, dark polo shirt and loafers. The first guy l bumped into said 'very smart' the next guy I met said ' you look like you are heading to the golf course' .🤭
I have never played a game in my life🤣

Last edited:

andyf

Reaction score
I used to go to an eclectic nightclub in the mid eighties that was also frequented by a lot of goths. Decent music like Banshees, Cure, Bauhaus, Death Cult, etc. Some of the girls looked great and patterned themselves after Siouxsie, Patricia Morrison (Gun Club / Sister’s of Mercy) Cleo from the March Violets, Joan Jett etc.
Now when I see goth girls they look like obese social misfits with acne and facial piercings zonked out on anti anxiety pills and wearing those hideous black bell bottom jeans with a load of crap hanging off them. What happened?
I still have some mates that don mohicans etc in there 50s. Ones who can’t stick up bits of hair on the sides of their head because it’s fallen out elsewhere. I just look at them now and think ffs grow up. It didn’t look good at the time. And it’s certainly a damn site worse at there age.
Incidentally I was looking up “mod sites” for music reviews earlier. And I saw yourself in a very smart suit. Mod generation.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.