• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting how certain frames look crap with clear glass but look fine with tints.

Wayfarers - Austin Powers, Buddy Holly, worldwide nerds.

Aviators - Cliff Richard, David Koresh, Jeffrey Dahmer
I expect just about every pair of sunglasses would look fucking terrible with clear lenses. Something for the Hipsters maybe...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I expect just about every pair of sunglasses would look fucking terrible with clear lenses. Something for the Hipsters maybe...
Aye I’m getting to that vintage where I realise that geggs are likely in my future. If and when that day comes I’d probably go for a pair of unobtrusive frameless rectangles. Maybe in transition lenses that go darker in the sun.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aye I’m getting to that vintage where I realise that geggs are likely in my future. If and when that day comes I’d probably go for a pair of unobtrusive frameless rectangles. Maybe in transition lenses that go darker in the sun.

I’m not sure if they’ve made any headway in the last few years, but are used to have transition lenses and I hated them! They would turn dark quickly enough when one goes outside, but when you go indoors they take forever to clear up. You end up taking them off and squinting around because it’s just too damn dark with them on.
I wear a pair of François Pinton frames when I’m not wearing contact lenses. A bit “professorial” looking but I like them.

1D1812CE-BE4E-44D5-8A5F-9EB34CAC0BD0.jpeg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look very Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch!

Actually I mentioned on the blog recently that Oliver Peoples have got permission from Cary Grant’s daughter to do a copy of his NXNW shades and name them ‘Cary Grant’ - and I think they already do a Gregory Peck model.

Prices are insane like. I’ll probably have to get contacts as I have over 30 pair shoes of shades and there’s no way I’m getting prescriptions put in all of them. I don’t like the idea of putting things in my eyes but I’ll have to get used to it when the time comes if I need them all day.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look very Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch!

Actually I mentioned on the blog recently that Oliver Peoples have got permission from Cary Grant’s daughter to do a copy of his NXNW shades and name them ‘Cary Grant’ - and I think they already do a Gregory Peck model.

Prices are insane like. I’ll probably have to get contacts as I have over 30 pair shoes of shades and there’s no way I’m getting prescriptions put in all of them. I don’t like the idea of putting things in my eyes but I’ll have to get used to it when the time comes if I need them all day.

I started wearing contacts in 1994– the idea never bothered me after the optometrist put them in my eyes the first time. It became second nature very quickly.
Also, with contact lenses your peripheral vision still works. Depending on one’s prescription, if you’re wearing glasses your peripheral vision is extremely limited.

The Saint

Reaction score
View attachment 1229133[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure if they’ve made any headway in the last few years, but are used to have transition lenses and I hated them! They would turn dark quickly enough when one goes outside, but when you go indoors they take forever to clear up. You end up taking them off and squinting around because it’s just too damn dark with them on.
I wear a pair of François Pinton frames when I’m not wearing contact lenses. A bit “professorial” looking but I like them.

View attachment 1229133
Aviation pilots were banned from using photo chromatic lenses decades ago because of the phenomena you mention ..

The Saint

Reaction score
Aviation pilots were banned from using photo chromatic lenses decades ago because of the phenomena you mention ..

Aha, so it ain’t just me then!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah , sometimes access to aviation reports is handy. Around the same time they were also banning pilots from having beverages with artificial sweeteners whilst flying , this was years before the dangers were well known . .
More recently they have banned pilots from taking psychotropics after a certain pilot flew intentionally into a mountain . .

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.