• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on this subject, here's a shot of my most recently-acquired jacket. I got it about two or three months ago from a Salvation Army shop. I spotted it in the window, went inside, tried it on - it fitted perfectly - and bought it for a song. It's from the Marks & Sparks "Italian" range, before that too went all two-button-bum-freezer. In this case it's longer than modern jackets, waisted and tailored, and has natural shoulders. Of course it doesn't hang well on a hanger, but you get the idea.

The labels inside say "Marks and Spencer. ITALIAN with silk" and "Wool and Silk by Privernum, Italy."

Just for this shot, I've twinned it with a Haworth shirt, just to show how good it looks with dark blue.

Jacket.png

Last edited:

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
While we're on this subject, here's a shot of my most recently-acquired jacket. I got it about two or three weeks ago from a Salvation Army shop. I spotted it in the window, went inside, tried it on - it fitted perfectly - and bought it for a song. It's from the Marks & Sparks "Italian" range, before that too went all two-button-bum-freezer. In this case it's longer than modern jackets, waisted and tailored, and has natural shoulders. Of course it doesn't hang well on a hanger, but you get the idea.

The labels inside say "Marks and Spencer. ITALIAN with silk" and "Wool and Silk by Privernum, Italy."

Just for this shot, I've twinned it with a Haworth shirt, just to show how good it looks with dark blue.

View attachment 1212077

Nice buy indeed, and does look very nice with the dark blue shirt(recently got a dark blue ben sherman off ebay meself) i mainly just look in charity shops now for stuff rather than the usual shops like tk maxx etc.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good stuff on here the last couple days. @Man-of-Mystery, that jacket is great. Got a similar colored one in the sales at O’Connell’s. American style though, With the 3/2 roll, undarted, hook vent, etc. A bonus that it’s 100% silk, good for the sweltering summer here. Oddly enough, paired it with a navy blue oxford cloth buttondown. Nice with that or a french blue knit tie and a sky blue oxford shirt.

Attachments

• AA2E7849-797E-4C09-873D-378ABAB09A4E.jpeg
    AA2E7849-797E-4C09-873D-378ABAB09A4E.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 8250A4D9-529D-43DC-A880-DD961B018F0B.jpeg
    8250A4D9-529D-43DC-A880-DD961B018F0B.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 60

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Nice Nik. I really dig the top three, especially that tattersall. Do you have them all in the shop?

Yes, they are at the store in Lynn. 545 Washington St. Lynn, MA. We're open Sundays 11-4 or during the week by appointment. Mention this post and I'll give you the 25% family discount.

Newton heath

Reaction score
Although the only leather jacket I can remember was a Levi one of our lads wore ,what are your views on the our older selves wearing leather jackets ?

Inkss

Reaction score
The only leather jackets I remember being popular with our lot were the leather box-jacket/blazer things (1979-80 Dexy's style). The casuals wore those leather 'hunter' (grey and maroon usually) jackets that looked sort of like Members Only jackets.
Only got two leather jackets myself.
A tobacco safari-ish one :
hutch.jpg

And a horsehide A2/G1/whatever :
g1.jpg

I wear the A2/G1 quite a bit, but no so much the tobacco one. (I think I've mentioned it before on here that when I've worn the tobacco-coloured one, my mates take the piss out of me and call me 'Hutch')

I saw this for sale :
harr.jpg

Definitely not going to buy one though.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can remember leather or suede sports jackets being worn by mods who could afford them. Also I can remember Levi leather or suede jackets - again you needed money for that. I briefly owned a Levi leather, bought dirt cheap from a mate in Blackpool, just before I moved down to London. Not long after I got there I received a tear-stained letter from his mum telling me it wasn't his to sell and offering me my money back. It was a question of what I wanted least - to lose 'my' Levi leather, or to see my mate do time for theft (or get beaten up by the real owner).

Newton heath

Reaction score
I can remember leather or suede sports jackets being worn by mods who could afford them. Also I can remember Levi leather or suede jackets - again you needed money for that. I briefly owned a Levi leather, bought dirt cheap from a mate in Blackpool, just before I moved down to London. Not long after I got there I received a tear-stained letter from his mum telling me it wasn't his to sell and offering me my money back. It was a question of what I wanted least - to lose 'my' Levi leather, or to see my mate do time for theft (or get beaten up by the real owner).
But do you think there is a “age cut off “ point for wearing them ?

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, just a money cut off point. Sometimes that was tied in with age - e.g. if someone left school and started earning - sometimes not.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting topic.
Probably the only few items I own that don’t really have any connection to the look are my leathers.

I have a black leather pebble grain car coat with a zip out thinsulate lining my ex bought me around 2000.

I also have a charcoal A-2 which I spotted in a recent Friday Challenge, bought from The Cockpit in New York City in 1989. (Did someone - M2M? - say there was a brief trend for London suedes wearing A-2s back in the day?)

More within the canon I have a black leather blazer (can’t remember the last time I wore that, must be years ago, still a bit of a late nineties boxy fit) and two more in red (Bruce Foxton!) and royal blue which I got MTM by some fella in India.

I got a tan suede Levi’s trucker which I’m selling cos it never fit well. I got a similar ASOS one which was half the price and fits twice as well.

And I got a dark brown buffalo leather Levis trucker bought specifically for my trip home a couple of years ago. I left it at my brothers in Scotland when we headed off for points south and picked it up on the way back so it barely got used fornits intended purpose. Nice bit of kit though but.

I also have a white perforated leather moto jacket with red and black racing stripes bought for a ridiculously low price and intended to wear on a crisp day when I finally get my Scomadi once they organise their distribution over here!

Since I moved to Florida from Texas they have warmer winters over here so all of the above seem to be hauled out less and less frequently these days, if at all. Doubt I’d get any more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads