• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im having a late 20s crisis never mind a mid life crisis!

The dr martens 101 actually look quite nice in choc brown, are they worth 125 quid tho?

I like those. But yeah, £125 seems steep. Made in England?

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Probably not, haven't got them in my size anyway, i wouldn't mind a pair of docs but they are a bit expensive for what they are. Still got my 6 eye boots from the 70s and 2 pair of monkey boots which are going strong still

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Im having a late 20s crisis never mind a mid life crisis!

The dr martens 101 actually look quite nice in choc brown, are they worth 125 quid tho?

They're nice, but be aware the 101 run about half a size bigger for some reason, whereas the classic DM range (1460 etc) runs a bit small imo. Make sure the seller has a return policy in place if getting them off eBay?

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I was actually told all there boots run large, from an official dm employee, so its confusing

The Saint

Reaction score

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
similar to the other brown ones, and they have them my size, and 40 quid off, hopefully have them my size next week when its payday.

Yorky

Reaction score

The Saint

Reaction score
Sorry I stand corrected, I never knew that about the collars, only the trousers. Saw him on a TV prog once talking about it.
I don't think that John Stephen ever got the recognition he deserved. His achievements seem to be underated and almost forgotten but at least he was well paid for his efforts. .

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that John Stephen ever got the recognition he deserved. His achievements seem to be underated and almost forgotten but at least he was well paid for his efforts. .
Aye I remember a pic of him next to his Rolls Royce when he was in his early twenties. There’s a blue plaque dedicated to him in Carnaby Street but the first time I went there maybe 1980 there was a long thin sign on the side of a building still pointing the way. It’s not there any more but I have a pic of it somewhere.
I reckon the very first Mod Stylists may have had a conflicting view of JS - on one hand he made acquiring decent tackle a lot easier, but on the other his democratizing of the look made it available to a lot more people which may have stepped on their sense of elitism.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't John Stephen start out at Vince's ?
I think he started out in a shop in Newburgh Street or one of the other adjacent streets but had to move (fire?) and the rents were cheap in Carnaby as it was just a back alley. There was a massive industrial building g taking up half of one side and a tobacconists (which was still there when I first went!) but one by one most places were turned over into boutiques as word spread - and Stephen owned half the street!

The Saint

Reaction score
Aye I remember a pic of him next to his Rolls Royce when he was in his early twenties. There’s a blue plaque dedicated to him in Carnaby Street but the first time I went there maybe 1980 there was a long thin sign on the side of a building still pointing the way. It’s not there any more but I have a pic of it somewhere.
I reckon the very first Mod Stylists may have had a conflicting view of JS - on one hand he made acquiring decent tackle a lot easier, but on the other his democratizing of the look made it available to a lot more people which may have stepped on their sense of elitism.
Aside from Mod , Stephen was part of the British Sixties fashion thing as much as Quant, in my opinion .
Those early Mods you speak of would have been most likely wearing European clothes , Stephen designed and made fashionable clothes in this country and per his tall collars and low waist designs , was making what the market wanted . A good business man if nothing else . However, he never did get all those letters after his name like Quant did ,l wonder why. .

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.