1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Last edited: May 11, 2019

2. DonkeyJacket1

DonkeyJacket1 Senior Member

I thought the taller one was a boy at first.

The monkey boot debacle as of course been discussed many times, i still wear mine because i like how they look and they are sturdy and lightweight. A woman i know said she used to have a pair when she was younger but i have also had blokes say the same.

3. Man-of-Mystery

Man-of-Mystery Distinguished Member

Elvin Jones. Scary bloke, phenomenal drummer.

4. Yorky

Yorky Senior Member

Not forgetting Bernard "pretty boy" Purdey, soul and funk drummer, famous for his Purdey shuffle trademark style of drumming. Primarily a session drummer for artists like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and allegedly over dubbed Ringo Starr on Beatles tracks. His style was also copied by Led Zep amongst others.

5. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

Bernard Purdie was unreal— though his trademark half-time shuffle inspired Bonzo’s “Fool In the Rain” half-time shuffle. It was merely a template, not a copy. And yeah he, Max Roach, and Joe Morello were huge influences on Bonham.
    Either way, I’m loving the digression here, though I’m sure there is a bit of (justifiable)eye-rolling going on.
    Music is a reflection of (the)soul!

6. Inkss

Inkss Senior Member

7. Yorky

Yorky Senior Member

8. Yorky

Yorky Senior Member

Just thought I'd try to start a conversation about where subcultures have a crossover in styles and musical tastes. My first wife when we started dating was heavily into the 1950's Rockabilly look and listened mainly to Doo Wop music. She was beautiful and really stood out, which was what attracted me to her, I used to attend Rockabilly nights with her and vice versa. What struck me was that some of the music that was played was also the kind of thing that I listened to e.g. Late fifties RandB. I expected to see a load of old Teds, but the blokes mainly wore what I would call the James Dean look Harringtons and levis, and the women a 40's/50's look. She eventually dropped the look and I suppose due to my influence became a mod.
    I used to go to a mod night in Manchester which played a lot of RandB, and a lot of the 50's style went to it also, I think that they called themselves Hep Cats. It was always a good night out, although you always got the odd dick head, who wanted bother instead of just enjoying themselves.
    The same thing used to happen on some mod rallies, where "Skins" would also attend, I used to go to a regular nite in Birmingham, and once had to endure a knob flicking tabs at me while I was dancing. The Birmingham mods were well tasty, and on that particular nite the knob was "spoken" to, as we were visiting guests from Yorkshire and looked after.

9. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

Aye , who started all this 'best drummer ' stuff anyway. .

10. Yorky

Yorky Senior Member

Might av been you!!!

11. Botolph

Botolph Distinguished Member

:-D

12. The Saint

The Saint Senior Member

:-D

13. cocostella

cocostella Distinguished Member

No love for Mick Avory, nor Charlie Watts?

14. Yorky

Yorky Senior Member

IMG_7331.jpg

Not quite sure what Weller has got going on here, I know that he has loved his monkey boots of late, but these are something different. His trousers are far too narrow and short, for whatever look he is going for here.

15. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior Member

When I saw the picture I hoped it wasn't you!

Terrible outfit - the mod equivalent of the yellow laces skinhead reunion look.