• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
That could easily have been me in Hull 1975, i even looked similar. A fitter I was apprenticed to, once said "if your dad had pushed harder, you'd have been a girl"
Skinners yes, monkey boots no though. Mentioned on here before, monkey boots for girls. Cant recall the name of the jacket, but at the same time we wore patchwork jumpers and star jumpers.
I thought the taller one was a boy at first.

The monkey boot debacle as of course been discussed many times, i still wear mine because i like how they look and they are sturdy and lightweight. A woman i know said she used to have a pair when she was younger but i have also had blokes say the same.

Yorky

Reaction score
Not forgetting Bernard "pretty boy" Purdey, soul and funk drummer, famous for his Purdey shuffle trademark style of drumming. Primarily a session drummer for artists like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and allegedly over dubbed Ringo Starr on Beatles tracks. His style was also copied by Led Zep amongst others.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That could easily have been me in Hull 1975, i even looked similar. A fitter I was apprenticed to, once said "if your dad had pushed harder, you'd have been a girl"
Skinners yes, monkey boots no though. Mentioned on here before, monkey boots for girls. Cant recall the name of the jacket, but at the same time we wore patchwork jumpers and star jumpers.
Not forgetting Bernard "pretty boy" Purdey, soul and funk drummer, famous for his Purdey shuffle trademark style of drumming. Primarily a session drummer for artists like James Brown and Aretha Franklin, and allegedly over dubbed Ringo Starr on Beatles tracks. His style was also copied by Led Zep amongst others.
Bernard Purdie was unreal— though his trademark half-time shuffle inspired Bonzo’s “Fool In the Rain” half-time shuffle. It was merely a template, not a copy. And yeah he, Max Roach, and Joe Morello were huge influences on Bonham.
Either way, I’m loving the digression here, though I’m sure there is a bit of (justifiable)eye-rolling going on.
Music is a reflection of (the)soul!

Yorky

Reaction score

Yorky

Reaction score
Just thought I'd try to start a conversation about where subcultures have a crossover in styles and musical tastes. My first wife when we started dating was heavily into the 1950's Rockabilly look and listened mainly to Doo Wop music. She was beautiful and really stood out, which was what attracted me to her, I used to attend Rockabilly nights with her and vice versa. What struck me was that some of the music that was played was also the kind of thing that I listened to e.g. Late fifties RandB. I expected to see a load of old Teds, but the blokes mainly wore what I would call the James Dean look Harringtons and levis, and the women a 40's/50's look. She eventually dropped the look and I suppose due to my influence became a mod.
I used to go to a mod night in Manchester which played a lot of RandB, and a lot of the 50's style went to it also, I think that they called themselves Hep Cats. It was always a good night out, although you always got the odd dick head, who wanted bother instead of just enjoying themselves.
The same thing used to happen on some mod rallies, where "Skins" would also attend, I used to go to a regular nite in Birmingham, and once had to endure a knob flicking tabs at me while I was dancing. The Birmingham mods were well tasty, and on that particular nite the knob was "spoken" to, as we were visiting guests from Yorkshire and looked after.

The Saint

Reaction score
Bernard Purdie was unreal— though his trademark half-time shuffle inspired Bonzo’s “Fool In the Rain” half-time shuffle. It was merely a template, not a copy. And yeah he, Max Roach, and Joe Morello were huge influences on Bonham.
Either way, I’m loving the digression here, though I’m sure there is a bit of (justifiable)eye-rolling going on.
Music is a reflection of (the)soul!
Aye , who started all this 'best drummer ' stuff anyway. .

Yorky

Reaction score
IMG_7331.jpg

Not quite sure what Weller has got going on here, I know that he has loved his monkey boots of late, but these are something different. His trousers are far too narrow and short, for whatever look he is going for here.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
View attachment 1176296

Not quite sure what Weller has got going on here, I know that he has loved his monkey boots of late, but these are something different. His trousers are far too narrow and short, for whatever look he is going for here.
When I saw the picture I hoped it wasn't you!

Terrible outfit - the mod equivalent of the yellow laces skinhead reunion look.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.