• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Saint

Reaction score
You are
In the early ‘70s Buddy Rich was still alive, plus you had John Bonham, Carmine Appice, and Kenney Jones. Their talent, finesse, and sense of rhythm smmoooooked Moon’s ability. And I love Moon and the ‘Oo, he was a lot of fun, a madman. But there’s a difference between bashing hard and fast, and, say, the ability to pull off a one-handed buzz roll(almost nobody can do that even today).
You are probably right but l can now only remember one of names above Moon and that was Cozzy Powell . Don't ask me if Powell was 1 or 2 but l do recall Powell got to number 1 in the charts certainly not long after with his track , Dance With the Devil. .

andyf

Reaction score
Th
Both are absolutely great albums. Those two and “The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society”, which is my favorite from the era.
thats one I’ve never owned strangely.may have to remedy it.

andyf

Reaction score
Based on Cobwebs and Strange from the Who's second album.
I once read something in the early 7ts that rated Keith Moon as the 3rd best drummer on the planet , however as far as l was concerned Moon was always No1. . .
Mitch Mitchell also stands out as a great drummer

Yorky

Reaction score
Mitch Mitchell is one of my favorites from that era for sure, too. Also Ginger Baker. Killer jazz drummer, too.
Mitch was also the drummer in Georgie Fames band during his Flamingo days, IMO GF is much underrated, I have seen him several times and really rocks the Hammond organ. The Hammond is one of my fave instruments especially when played through the Lesley cabinet.

andyf

Reaction score
Mitch was also the drummer in Georgie Fames band during his Flamingo days, IMO GF is much underrated, I have seen him several times and really rocks the Hammond organ. The Hammond is one of my fave instruments especially when played through the Lesley cabinet.
Agreed. Must admit I’m a bit rusty on Georgie Fame. But love the Hammond organ.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So does anyone recall Georgie Fame having a tv series late afternoon just before the kids programmes came on around 1980? Something that appears never to have happened. Just wondering.

The Saint

Reaction score
... a rip-off of Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun.
Aye , there have been a few of them over the years , some of which ended up in court . One that never went to court (as far as I know ) was Howard Jones New Song ripping off Pete Gabriel's Solsbury Hill. .

Oneflewover

Reaction score
Black monkey boots perhaps early-mid 70s?, also what kind of jacket is that.

That could easily have been me in Hull 1975, i even looked similar. A fitter I was apprenticed to, once said "if your dad had pushed harder, you'd have been a girl"
Skinners yes, monkey boots no though. Mentioned on here before, monkey boots for girls. Cant recall the name of the jacket, but at the same time we wore patchwork jumpers and star jumpers.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ginger Baker is a frightening gentleman.
As for jazz drummers, I like Joe Morello.
The f**king king, SO tasteful. Bonzo’s favorite drummer, too. “Moby Dick” had liberally lifted parts from “Castilian Drums”, both the studio version off Lz II and expanded more so in live versions. Also a nod to Max Roach’s “The Drum Also Waltzes”, great spng by a killer, lyrical, jazz drummer.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.