• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Yes, I know what you guys mean. In fact, the 771 is my preferred option, it’s just that I can see myself walking comfortably with Solovair soles all day.
I’m not sure that’s true for the 771.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi
Yeah, I had my eye on them for a year or two... but I got paid today and want a new pair of smooths next.

Can't make up my mind between the smarter Loake 771 and the more skinheadish Solovair shoe.

View attachment 1166654
View attachment 1166655
Bela I can recommend the Loake's, I also have a pair in black as well as brown which don't get as much wear at the moment. I also have the Bass smooths with a dainite sole, I think that someone posted sometime ago that they had a pair. Another option that I have are some Paul Smith burgundy Cordovan leather smooths I bought at a discount years ago, these have a synthetic sole that resemble a Doc. Will post some photos of them later.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I would rather have the smooths preferably with a dainite sole, rather than leather sole, which i think are a bit too much work, can cause damage to flooring when segs are inserted into them too.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would rather have the smooths preferably with a dainite sole, rather than leather sole, which i think are a bit too much work, can cause damage to flooring when segs are inserted into them too.

I love a Dainite sole, and yeah they’re a bit more conducive to not slipping and getting killed, but they’re more subtle-looking than a commando sole and still retain a similar feel to, for instance, a double oak sole.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I always wore my dainite soled longwings more than the leather soles with segs, and imo they were more comfortable.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
As I said, I'm wary the 771 aren't that comfortable, especially when you walk around in them all day. That is, in fact, the main reason I'm considering the Solovair shoes also.

I'd say my main purpose for them would be sauntering about town on a spring or summer weekend. So not just for going out, but not for running a marathon either. Something in between.

I've got a pair of Loake Royal brogues with leather soles. I quite enjoy the noise they make, but they aren't the comfiest shoes for longer periods.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said, I'm wary the 771 aren't that comfortable, especially when you walk around in them all day. That is, in fact, the main reason I'm considering the Solovair shoes also.

I'd say my main purpose for them would be sauntering about town on a spring or summer weekend. So not just for going out, but not for running a marathon either. Something in between.

I've got a pair of Loake Royal brogues with leather soles. I quite enjoy the noise they make, but they aren't the comfiest shoes for longer periods.
Hi Bela see my recent post on The look goes on regarding smooths.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Bela see my recent post on The look goes on regarding smooths.
I have always found the Loake the most comfortable over the Bass, plus I prefer the slimmer shape of the Loake, hence my question whether they are available with a Dainite sole.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score

I don't think dress shoes are really meant to be worn all day, unless you work in some kind of office environment but even then you are not always on the move. I certainly think the solovair shoes would be more suitable if that is how you are planning to use them.

It's the main reason i hardly wore mine, my lifestyle consists more of moving about outside etc so boots are more suitable, while loakes are decently made they can't withstand heavy use imo.

Inkss

Reaction score
I was dicussing the Jimmy 'trainers/or bowling shoes' about four years back in this thread, and predicting that Pretty Green would probably knock some up and sell 'em.
Well a couple of years ago some were made for sale (not by Pretty Green though) These are the red ones (the majority of them are b/w though)
chenet.jpg

Quite a decent facsimile, but the toe and heel are definitely different and there's too many lace-holes. Not my cup of tea at all, but some sterling work there. I'm not a waxie, but I reckon it's hard to knock up some kicks with only some grainy photos to go by. They'll be better quality than the originals as well.
The originals :

chad.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7128.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg
I was dicussing the Jimmy 'trainers/or bowling shoes' about four years back in this thread, and predicting that Pretty Green would probably knock some up and sell 'em.
Well a couple of years ago some were made for sale (not by Pretty Green though) These are the red ones (the majority of them are b/w though)
View attachment 1167766
Quite a decent facsimile, but the toe and heel are definitely different and there's too many lace-holes. Not my cup of tea at all, but some sterling work there. I'm not a waxie, but I reckon it's hard to knock up some kicks with only some grainy photos to go by. They'll be better quality than the originals as well.
The originals :

View attachment 1167781
I also saw these a while ago and was nearly tempted, but thought better of it, I have seen Weller in a pair, so I suppose they have probably sold quite well. Mod shoes have just started selling some retro style trainers called Fresco ( Spanish for cool) which I quite like as an alternative to the usual addidas, but again I don't wear trainers that often, prefer Superga or Converse Jack Purcell when called upon. There is a classic photo of the Small Faces, where Marriot is wearing some white Superga, I will post it if I can find it. My fist pair of Superga are 30 years old now and relegated to gardening duties due to having a hole in the toe and the soles being paper thin ( I think there's a song title there somewhere) I have only bought from mod shoes once and they were some brown leather soled monkey boots, the quality is good, but I do prefer the look of the cheaper Grafters monkey boots. I have attached a photo of the mod shoes trainers, they are available in a variety of solid and two tone versions. It seems that the claret and blue have sold out, not much of a footie fan anymore but I think that maybe the West Ham or Villa supporters.

Inkss

Reaction score
I like the plain black Frescos. The other colourways are a bit too lairy for me.
I got these 'trainers' a few years ago. I have no idea what they're for. They sort of look like a footie boot without studs, cycling shoes, regular trainers and bowling shoes all rolled into one (I posted pics back when I got them) They're made by Atom (not that one) and they were made in England.
They were also brand new and under £10/$13 on ebay.
at4.jpg

at3.jpg

at1.jpg

at2.jpg

Inkss

Reaction score
Found this pic on my old school's facebook page. Taken in 1966
ostow.jpg

Decent contrasting Mod haircuts/clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads